Tips on E-Starter Rolls Please - RC Groups
May 09, 2003, 08:57 AM

Tips on E-Starter Rolls Please

I finally got my E-starter flying well and would like to try rolls. Its my first aileron plane. I attempted one at about 30' up and it seemed to loose altitude so fast that I panicked and leveled off. I know I should use so up elevator but is that through the whole manuver or partially? Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2003, 09:24 AM
Forgot how to fly
MAKODS,
This is purely my opinion, so please take it with a grain of salt. The estarter is a great aileron trainer, but the Aileron control surfaces are not wide enough to be a great performer in rolls. However this can be fixed with making the Ailerons bigger. I used contest precut balsa ailerons and installed them just like the stock ones. This will make your rolls much smoother.

However,
On a roll (lets take a right roll) , I input right Aileron and work left rudder gradually in and gradually out as the roll turns the plane inverted. The rudder keeps the plane from dropping its nose, thus loosing altitude. Continue to input right Aileron as it rolls back over, but now work in right rudder as the plane is on its other side.

right aileron, left rudder in, left rudder out, inverted, right aileron, right rudder in, right rudder out.
hope that helps.
May 09, 2003, 09:32 AM
Forgot how to fly
Here is the Aileron Mod to give you an idea.
May 09, 2003, 10:30 AM
clever phrase here
Good input Mike.

Here's my 2 cents. Full aileron roll to the right, half down elevator, keep rolling to the right, little up elevator to level out again. On my Funny Park, down elevator cleans up the sloppy rolls, and once you get the hang of it, you can do some consecutive rolls. So, if doing 3 rolls to the right, you'll hold the right aileron roll, then work the elevator down, then up, then down, then up, down, then up... then level out. Here, I'm talking about the actual elevator movement, not stick movement.

Although sloppy, I've been able to rudder roll the E-Starter 2 consecutive times, albeit with heavy altitude dump. Mini Piper can be rudder rolled very nicely as well. You have to keep the airspeed up, as you do a controlled mild 10 degree or so dive to pull this off on high wing rudder/ elevator only ships.

Start high, pull out early. It'll be fun once you get the hang of it. Good luck.

-Foam Crazy-
May 09, 2003, 10:39 AM
Forgot how to fly
Thanks for chiming in James. I always forget to mention the elevator as it is important on the Estarter.
On certain planes I have found that the elevator input is more important than others. On a slow roll, it is extremely important, but on a fast roll such as with my Miniflash or Minilaser it is not necessary due to the roll rate being so quick, it is back on top before you know it. Now I have to agree with James that you will have some alititude dump, and I think it may have to do with the dehidral, but not really sure. Rolls with my Estarter even with the Aileron mod cause altitude loss and they arent as clean as my other planes. However it will roll. Keep practicing and good luck!

Mike
May 09, 2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks a lot for the replies, they are very informative. Now do you have any good weather so I can try the advice
May 09, 2003, 01:29 PM
clever phrase here