Dec 20, 2009, 05:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Slope soaring sites in Port Macquarie (NSW)

Hey guys,

i am going to port macquarie (NSW) for 1 week holiday after xmas. just wondering if there are any good slopes worth trying out.

I have done a search and Bonny Hills seems to be a goer, but i can't work out on the map where exactly the slope is.

thanks guys.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2009, 06:37 AM
de-registered abuser
I'm pretty sure it's called Jollynose? lookout. It's an official hangy slope, so you might be dodging them. It's at Camden Haven. When you get there, look up, you'll see it!

Bonny hills has some ocean cliffs you could try too. I have friends up there but haven't flown the area but noted the spot between Bonny hills and Camden haven had some cliffs worth looking at.

I'll see if I can find some photos I have for you.
Dec 20, 2009, 06:56 AM
de-registered abuser
Here's the view from Big Brother lookout. I think I have the name wrong calling it jollynose, or it has a couple of names, can't remember.

Anyway, this is the hangglider site in the pic. Lauriton is directly below. If you look to the south side of the channel and see the headland you could try that area, called Camden Head. Takes you out to Point perpendicular. I think it's mainly South to SE~ish? I went on a walk through there and I think from memory there are a few vertical cliffs there but it looked like a site where if it goes down, it stays down.

Bonny hills is to the north side of the channel, where the small headland cliffs are, that's basically it. There is a cliff called Grants Head.

Looking on google earth, to the east of the mine thing at bonny hills, there is a slope the jellyfish use too. There are a couple of user uploaded phots on there you can check out too.
Last edited by gouch; Dec 20, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Dec 20, 2009, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
sweet thanks for your help mate.

i will try and suss it out on the map.
Dec 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
Registered Loser
Hey. Theres a couple of slopes at BonnyHills, Nth Bonny is the bigger one (at the N end of the beach) Sth Bonny is in town, a big park on the cliff, and goes down to the caravan park. It's not very high but makes good lift. North Brother is pretty much a thermalling site, I don't know if you can expect too much in the way of ridge lift. And if your glider goes down, good luck finding it. In Pt Mac are a bunch of sites right in town. At the rivermouth near the caravan park is a low ridge thats fun. Check out Harrys' Lookout. If you can land in a tight spot, it's epic. Another difficult retrieve. And pack the snorkelling gear, theres a cool rockpool at Harrys. Good luck.
Dec 20, 2009, 07:16 PM
Registered Loser
Heres a few pics if you're interested
Dec 20, 2009, 08:57 PM
Registered DSer
I was there just a couple of weeks ago.

The hillock on the south side of the river mouth near the centre of town looks like it has good DS potential for small planes - just watch out for the flag pole! Good for a NW wind.

Also good for a N NW wind is one of the city beaches where there are some good headlands for DS and much bigger front sides ....

.... geez, I might just have to move there!

Roger.
Dec 21, 2009, 03:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo
Hey. Theres a couple of slopes at BonnyHills, Nth Bonny is the bigger one (at the N end of the beach) Sth Bonny is in town, a big park on the cliff, and goes down to the caravan park. It's not very high but makes good lift. North Brother is pretty much a thermalling site, I don't know if you can expect too much in the way of ridge lift. And if your glider goes down, good luck finding it. In Pt Mac are a bunch of sites right in town. At the rivermouth near the caravan park is a low ridge thats fun. Check out Harrys' Lookout. If you can land in a tight spot, it's epic. Another difficult retrieve. And pack the snorkelling gear, theres a cool rockpool at Harrys. Good luck.
When u say north bonny and south bonny whish beach is the headland in relation to? the map shows Rainbow beach to the north and Grants beach to the south.

Is Harry's lookout in port mac?
can't seem to find it on the map
http://www.maps.com.au/PDFS/Maps/por...0Macquarie.pdf

i am excited!!! looking forward to dusting off my Zagi!

thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Dec 21, 2009, 06:22 AM
de-registered abuser
google earth is your friend inferno
Dec 21, 2009, 07:34 PM
Registered Loser
Rainbow beach is the one. SE Bonny is at the Nth end of the beach. NE Bonny is south, in town. Look for the big park. Harrys Lookout is in Pt Mac, look for a sign as you drive along the coast road. These sites are all on the coast (!) so are really easy to find. You'll be fine. Like Gouch says, GE it. Wish I were going to Pt Mac. Took 3 months off work last year and did a east coast road trip. Found lots of flying sites...Pt Mac was one of my fave spots on the trip.
Dec 22, 2009, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
thanks guy!! i am really looking forward to it now!

.....u know ur an addict when u plan ur holidays with flying...

Quick Reply