This thread is privately moderated by Chris F, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 19, 2009, 04:38 AM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
Discussion

E Flite DH Beaver

I couldn't pass this one up as it was second hand and a great price. I plan to try it as a camera platform for aerial photography. It needs a bit of TLC but everything works and I hope to have it in the air tomorrow.

It is powered by a Hyperion Z 40 20-08, a Pulso 100 Amp ESC and a Turnigy wooden 12X8 prop and various 4S packs (mostly 5000 mAh).
The numbers are:

13.10 Volts
71.2 Amps
933 Watts
9510 RPM

With a 13X4 prop:

13.52 Volts
66.6 Amps
901 Watts
10560 RPM
Last edited by Chris F; May 16, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2009, 04:31 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Great looking bird
It looks brand new?

Looking forward to see aerial photos and videos. Can you take off with that one from the drain ?

Peter
Dec 31, 2009, 09:05 PM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
Photos usually don't show the imperfections, but it is in pretty good condition except it is missing the top of the rudder, and I need to neaten up a dodgy looking repair on the tailplane. I wish its motor was a lower kv as it chews through the batteries pretty fast. I'll have to find a smaller prop to get longer flight times.

I don't fly out of the drain anymore, although I launch the Soaring Star from the paddock next to the drain still. Most of my models are getting too big to fly behind the house these days.
May 16, 2010, 03:02 AM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
I had a great weekend with the Beaver! I took it to my Fathers farm and the weather was perfect, almost no wind. I did fly this model a few months ago and didn't like it much. The tracking on the ground was terrible and it was twitchy in the wind. As can be seen from the pics, I have fitted 5 inch Dubro tundra tyres to enable me to fly off the bumpy surface, and angled the wheels inwards about 2 degrees to fix the ground handling. I also swapped the big heavy 290 gram Hyperion Z4020-08 915kv motor for a 230 gram Turnigy SK 4250-650kv. Instead of the 70 Amp draw of the Hyperion I'm at a more comfortable 40 Amps with plenty of power on a 13X10 prop.

With the great weather and the big tyres, the Beaver was really fun to fly, and I got used to landing with the flaps. Full flap and a bit of power bought it in for a smooth landing each time. I am liking this Beaver
Last edited by Chris F; May 16, 2010 at 05:50 AM.
May 16, 2010, 02:08 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Very nice pictures
The tyres looks great on it.

Peter
May 16, 2010, 02:25 PM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
Thanks Peter. It's been so long since I've flown any models that I had forgotten how much fun it can be, especially when I don't have to wait for other people to finish flying at the club. Looking at the first pictures in this thread, the old wheels look too small now. It didn't take long to get used to the 5 inch tyres.
Jun 14, 2010, 06:20 AM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
Here's a video!
DH Beaver.wmv (1 min 43 sec)
Jun 14, 2010, 01:14 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Great video

Very nice to see some footage too, it's your fathers place right ?

Wouldn't mind sipping beer and flying R/C models for a week or two

Peter
Jun 14, 2010, 03:50 PM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
Hi Peter, yes it's my fathers place on a sunny winters day. It gets cold (by our standards) but when the sun comes out and there's no wind it's perfect for flying and sitting in the sun with a beer. It was 15 degrees when the video was taken.
I took two more videos with the camera angled in different directions but after transferring the files from the keychain cam to a USB stick my computer at home wouldn't play them any more. I'll have to wait until I go up there again to take more video.

Quick Reply