Dec 16, 2009, 01:55 AM
Unregistered User
Thread OP
Discussion

HobbyKing EDF 64 Identification

So I need a little help with my first EDF. After reading a bit about HobbyKing's EDF64 with ADH300 Motor it looked like a pretty decent buy so I picked one up. My problem though, is that the one they sent me looks nothing like the one pictured on the site! It also comes with a outrunner motor instead of an inrunner!!! Has anyone else ordered this EDF and gotten something else?

I tried going on the Live Support but they weren't very helpful, they basically just told me to email them the question so they could take a month getting back to me...

Anyway, I have attached some pictures of the one they sent me, any help identifying it and it's motor would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like some specs on this setup but I don't have a watt meter and I don't want to take it out of its packaging in case it's total crap and hobbyking wont take it back once I have.

Thanks!

-Liam O.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2009, 02:06 PM
Unregistered User
Thread OP
No one has any ideas?? C'moooon!
Dec 17, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well I beleive that they likely haven;t updated the picture more recently. The newer versions of that EDF are using a longer nose outrunner that fits in place of a smaller in diameter inrunner. I like having the motor more exposed to air than being inside the EDF shroud with less of a airflow on it.
HC doesn't appear to be selling the ADH300 motor separately, so there is no way to compare it to a short shaft version of that motor.
But I think you are OK.
i would go ahead and use it. I think the shipping costs are probably as much as the EDF unit costs, unless Canada is a lot cheaper than here in the USA.
I have noticed a lot more outrunners with the long shaft, so that they can be inserted into EDF units that were designed for the smaller in diameter inrunner motors.
Dec 17, 2009, 02:51 PM
http://www.aeorc.com/english/?gallery-37.html
Dec 18, 2009, 02:53 AM
Unregistered User
Thread OP
Alright, excellent! From the link you posted Ed it looks like the specs of this fan are pretty similar to the specs on HobbyKing's site. Thanks for the help guys!

So I took your advice and went ahead and opened it up, soldered on the connectors and fired it up. Loooots of rubbing on the inside of the shroud!!! That being said even though I never took it above 1/2 throttle it still had a surprising amount of thrust.

Will balancing the fan eliminate the rubbing? I didn't feel a whole lot of vibration but I suppose at these RPMs it doesn't take much.
Dec 18, 2009, 07:21 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
" It also comes with a outrunner motor instead of an inrunner!!! "

the fan/motor that you linked to does in fact have an outrunner in the picture, not an inrunner. i'm not sure why your saying it should be an inrunner.
Dec 18, 2009, 03:36 PM
Effumall
Looks like the ELE fan combos BP is selling
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=B1098403

The link shows the 40mm fan, but they have a 64mm one also. I think the outrunner is the right motor. Some would even argue that an outrunner is better in an EDF, for cooling purposes.

All my J Power 64mm jets use outrunners. They're fine. (Hell, Hoffman Beast and Wild Beast, and the JS 1400 are outrunners).
Dec 19, 2009, 03:10 PM
Unregistered User
Thread OP
Thanks for another link kelberts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone
" It also comes with a outrunner motor instead of an inrunner!!! "

the fan/motor that you linked to does in fact have an outrunner in the picture, not an inrunner. i'm not sure why your saying it should be an inrunner.
Though it doesn't ever state what kind of motor it is on HK's site from the image it sure looked like an inrunner to me. There is no apparent gap between the motor and the motor casing as I have pointed out in the attached image. Why on earth would they nearly encase the motor in plastic if it was an outrunner? I suppose I don't really know though, you could easily be right. How do you know it is supposed to be an outrunner?
Dec 19, 2009, 03:49 PM
^^ that pic is definitley an outrunner, no question about that.

the only drawback to that is the motor might be hot. outrunners are great in edf applications, but they really do well when they're mated with a standoff adaptor so that the spinning motor can is in the breeze.
Dec 19, 2009, 03:53 PM
like these:
Dec 20, 2009, 12:09 AM

Motor specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone
like these:
What are the specs of that motor on the far right? This looks like the stock motors used in the blitzrcworks F14.
Dec 20, 2009, 08:52 AM
it's dons wicked extreme 5400kv.
works great in the phase 3 ef16 stock fan on 4s.

Quick Reply