With a RC Slope Glider and Buses Through South America - I added my last videos - RC Groups
Dec 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
"Here birdy birdy birdy..."
Discussion

With a RC Slope Glider and Buses Through South America - I added my last videos

Hi guys,

I donīt write here too much but i have to share with you something special.
I am an Israeli guy that just finished 8 years in the army, and like many other young guys I wanted to travel in south America.. so i did.
The thing is that i am like you guys, RC junky. and after 3 months i couldnīt take it any more I had to fly something! I know that i am going to do some trekking in one of the windiest region in the whole world - Patagonia(Chile&Argentina)
Check out the winds!!!
Wind in Patagonia (0 min 26 sec)

Patagonian Wind (0 min 6 sec)

So during my traveling I bought glider in Santiago-Chile and put it together in the hostel that i stayed in (very difficult i had to improvise a lot with no tools)

Since then i am traveling with it and fly it where ever I can.
I have been in Bariloche in Cerro Otto,
Flying RC glider in Patagonia (2 min 0 sec)

San Martin de los Andes (Where i meet some others RC freaks.. Argentinians),

Flying RC in San Martin de loas Andes (2 min 55 sec)

in Parque Nacional Los Glaciares

Flying RC in Parque Nacional los Glaciares - Fitz Roy (0 min 37 sec)

and tomorrow i am supposed to go to Torres del Paine.
The most difficult part of my traveling was the logistics. its kind of hard to sit in a bus for 30 hours with a glider on your knees, but like you guys i will do any thing for this hobby!
It was also a unique trekking for me because i went for the each trek for couple of days to search (scout, gather intel..) a place where i can fly it and land it between sharp rocks and ice.
Enjoys the pics and the videos.. more to come later!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Wow. What an absoloutly a wonderful post... thanks for sharing it all with us!!

Well done for putting a plane together in the hostel... I'm sure that it was completely worth the trouble!
Dec 14, 2009, 01:13 PM
auto-tune remix
Bonus points for the improvised workshop. That's dedication.

I fly in Marin County, California, and we had a German tourist drive by and stop to watch us fly. He was so taken by what he saw that he asked where he could buy a Zagi. We gave him directions to Franciscan Hobbies in San Francisco. He drove there, bought a radio, a Zagi '99, 3M 77 spray adhesive, went back to his hotel room and built it. Next day he was out at the slope flying. He went back to his hotel Sunday night, cut the Zagi in half and stuffed it in his luggage and flew home to Germany Monday.

I have to say that's some incredible scenery. That's a lot like the Canadian Rockies.
Dec 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
Awesome.
Dec 14, 2009, 01:40 PM
Believes in Foamies
Mdreamer ,
you are an Absolutely Great guy man . If people around the globe could really appreciate guys like you , the world would be a different place .
Know that ._

P.S.: It's a pity that such windy places do Not have Wind Generators ...
Dec 14, 2009, 02:35 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
Thanks for the beautiful pictures and videos.

I look forward more of your fantastic adventure... certainly a dream vacation.

I loved the "En la Noche" sequence with the Argentineans (they know how to have fun).
Dec 15, 2009, 01:28 AM
Sky Surfers
They say "Just Do It"
You are .

Congrats on your adventure.

Pete in Idaho
Dec 15, 2009, 06:02 AM
de-registered abuser
MDreamer = MDooer

Top stuff, thanks for sharing!
Dec 15, 2009, 06:10 AM
Phil.T-tailer
fantastic adventure!
thanks for sharing

Phil.
Dec 15, 2009, 09:35 AM
Awesome post! You are welcome here in the US anytime! George
Dec 15, 2009, 09:45 AM
Retired USAF
Great story, thanks for sharing it!
Dec 15, 2009, 10:28 AM
around Colombia

Going North?

Just in case you're considering coming to Colombia, we'd be happy to host you at the AeroFinca. We have good flying weather most of the year in a spring/summer-like climate and an excellent slope site within "moseying distance." We have a shop and several gliders for our guest to fly.
Below is a photo. There are more on our blog http://shredair.blogspot.com (which needs updating, as does our main website).

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Dec 15, 2009, 02:28 PM
Vitruvian JART
One of the greatest thread starts I've ever seen in this forum.

You're my new hero, MDreamer!
Dec 15, 2009, 10:20 PM
Makes me want to pack my bags, and go on a slope vacation, so cool..
Dec 15, 2009, 11:38 PM
I want to bark at the moon
Awesome, The southern part of the American continent is beautiful. Good thing you are there during summer can't imagine you doing that in winter enjoy the wine.