Dec 13, 2009, 05:56 PM
OpenPilot
Thread OP
Discussion

The Booz Thread

Starting this thread to separate the Booz information away from the huge general Paparazzi thread and as requested by the PPZ store owner so as not to advertise in his thread.

Booz is Quad Rotor UAV project that uses some of the Paparazzi code as its base, it is Open Source and licensed under the GPL license.

This thread will be a place for all things Booz including the progress of the Booz hardware myself and Gussy are getting made. This will be for sale shortly (around one week) and will sell for US$850 including cables. It has the following features:

• Complete hardware using the original Paparazzi BOM, no parts removed to save costs.
  • LEA-5H GPS.
  • Professional PCB assembly done by a local assembly house, not soldered at home using a electric frying pan or cheap eBay oven.
  • All parts fully tested and with code loaded, as we are in Australia we can legally do this and export them worldwide.
  • Cables included.
  • We are also working on some 30 amp I2C ESCs, the hardware is complete and they will be MikroKopter compatible down to the software level. These will sell for just $35 each, however, will not be sold with software on them, just a boot loader which I still have to write.

I also plan to post the details about getting the hardware made and then details about getting Booz in the air.

Anyway, this thread is for all things Booz.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2009, 07:41 PM
sounds very promising Dankers, subscribed
Dec 13, 2009, 07:41 PM
Does it fly?
To get us started, here are some shots of the bare PCB's before assembly.

To explain the logo. Here in Australia Booz pretty much means beer, so what better logo than a pint of beer with wings
It also has a bit to do with "Free as in beer".
Last edited by Gussy; Dec 13, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Dec 13, 2009, 09:18 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi David!
Subscribed. Let me know what links to provide besides this thread for your quad in my Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim
Dec 13, 2009, 10:59 PM
Dankers,
Just to clarify. The "Other" source did not remove parts to save cost, and is using the LEA-5H GPS with the system. Just think the facts should be the facts.

AJ
Dec 14, 2009, 12:23 AM
Does it fly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonK
Dankers,
Just to clarify. The "Other" source did not remove parts to save cost, and is using the LEA-5H GPS with the system. Just think the facts should be the facts.

AJ
From the pictures I have seen, the three push buttons and eeprom are missing from the main board. They might not all be used yet, but extra $2 in cost is tiny.

I don't see where it says "The other source doesn't use LEA-5H", all I can see is "One feature of the hardware is the LEA-5H (opposed to LEA-4H or LEA-5S)", but at least we all know who's in each others pockets now.
Dec 14, 2009, 04:14 AM
OpenPilot
Thread OP
Whoa! Anton you are reading things that are just no there, relax. This had nothing to do with the other Booz stuff, just a statement that we use the Paparazzi BOM. I put it there because I've been asked a couple of times if our hardware sticks to what is published on the Paparazzi Wiki.

I had no idea the other hardware was even missing parts when I wrote that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonK
Dankers,

AJ
Dec 14, 2009, 05:49 AM
FREEdom!!
AntonK: do you have plans to be offering your airframe (Nova IIRC) in the near future?
Dec 14, 2009, 08:24 AM
OpenPilot
Thread OP
Boards and parts go for assembly in the morning.
Dec 14, 2009, 08:52 AM
Buzz,
Yes I do.

Dankers,
You had worded the GPS comment differently in the other thread. I just want to make it clear. The EEPROM on the main board serves no purpose and was added by a designer no longer on the project. The push buttons could be used for something, as they are a simple device, but again serve no purpose in the current implementation.

Good luck on the assembly, can't wait to here the progress.

AJ
Dec 14, 2009, 11:26 AM
Does it fly?
I'm interested in your frames as well Anton. Post back here when you have some news if you don't mind.
Dec 14, 2009, 02:05 PM
Will do.

AJ
Dec 15, 2009, 04:27 AM
OpenPilot
Thread OP
Boards are now at the assembly place, went for the lead free option and a solder paste formulation which is purposely made for high vibration and high shock applications. Cost a bit more but worth it I think.

Saw a pick and place machine in operation, those things are fast!
Dec 18, 2009, 05:24 PM
R/C, FPV, UAVs
Sparkfun had a live internet feed while they were assembling the first ArduPilot boards for Chris and Jordi, featuring one of their pick n' place machines...
I guess I must have logged on at a slow time, 'cuz it was crawling!
Dec 21, 2009, 01:19 PM
Gaftopher
Sweet, will follow with interest

Quick Reply