Dec 12, 2009, 02:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Snow Camping

Thought I’d try out some new clothes and equipment in the local mountains before venturing further out with the kid. Got camp set up and chains on the car before the storm hit, then spent the next 48 hours listening to books on tape, snowshoeing, etc.

The tent’s main vestibule (outside tent; inside rainfly) is big enough to store stuff out of the elements and cook meals in. I did all my cooking there.

Yes, that’s a bulk propane tank and a catalytic heater in some of the pics. I’m not stooooopid . Didn't use the heater much though as that double-wall tent heats up pretty well just with my body heat. That 5K BTU heater is overkill, and too big for the tent, so I've got a smaller one on order. No need for the bulk tank either.
Last edited by Fishnut; Dec 12, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
Dec 12, 2009, 03:19 PM
kit
kit
Location would be nice.
Dec 12, 2009, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
Location would be nice.
Serrano Camprgound, Big Bear Lake, Ca. It's on the northeast shore of the lake (desert side), and is open all year.
http://bigbear.us/serranocampgrounds.html

There's another campground at the same altitude I go to also. It's called Barton Flats, on Hwy 38 on San Gorgonio Mountain. It's much prettier IMO, with more trees and no desert flora. It's also more protected from winds, which is why I didn't go there this trip. I wanted to test the tent in wind, and boy was my wish granted. There were a couple gusts Monday night that I thought were earthquakes .

Breaking camp was a hoot. I had to dig up 24 tent stakes. Those 4-season tents are built like bomb shelters.
Last edited by Fishnut; Dec 12, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
Dec 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
characters welcome!
Great place and it sounded like fun since the tent worked. Nice piece of equipment, that's for sure.
A "few" (too many) years ago I would have given my right...ear for double-walled construction up around Dollar Lakes on the way to the Gorgonio summit.

mw
Dec 12, 2009, 07:51 PM
Suspended Account
looks like fun Fishnut ! Thanks for posting, It has been a while for me since I camped winter. I need to get back to it.
Dec 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval
looks like fun Fishnut ! Thanks for posting, It has been a while for me since I camped winter. I need to get back to it.
Boy is it cool visiting your regular Summer haunts in Winter. It's a totally different world. We will be hitting Bryce Canyon, Sequoia NP, and Yosemite Valley this year--maybe Tahoe too. I may hit the redwoods, Oregon, Washington and Idaho, visiting friends along the way.

Will be doing it with just one kid as the other has a speaking gig for her college, and will be home for only 2 of her 10-week Christmas break. She'll be traveling the Midwest and S. America the rest of the time speaking about leadership and women in engineering--and pimping her school, of course . I can't stress it enough--get your kids used to (and proficient at) public speaking. It will pay off big time!

The new technical clothes sure make you more comfortable than the old cotton death cloth. They're pricey little rascals, but they sure make life better. It was 19 degrees in the tent Tuesday AM, and I was toasty warm with just Patagonia Capilene 3 crew and longjohns, a fleece zipup, Mountain Hardware Compressor pants, thick Merino wool socks and down tent booties.
Last edited by Fishnut; Dec 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM.
Dec 12, 2009, 11:24 PM
kit
kit
Quote:
Didn't use the heater much though as that double-wall tent heats up pretty well just with my body heat.

It was 19 degrees in the tent Tuesday AM,
Huh? What?
Dec 13, 2009, 12:07 AM
Pan Pan Pan
Great pics! I went unexpectedly went snow camping last spring (the snow wasn't expected), in a small wall tent with no floor. My 9 year old son loved it.

Technical clothing is amazing. I often wonder how explorers of 100 years ago would have fared had it been available then. Maybe Robert Falcon Scott would have survived. The Shackleton expedition would have been warmer and dryer.

Does your wife go winter camping too? I'm not sure my wife would. Never asked because I think I know the anwer but I could be wrong.
Dec 13, 2009, 12:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnut
Didn't use the heater much though as that double-wall tent heats up pretty well just with my body heat.

It was 19 degrees in the tent Tuesday AM,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
Huh? What?
Ya, I saw that. It was 19 degrees in the tent while I was in my sleeping bag. The -30 degree bag doesn't let much heat out. The tent warmed up when I put on the clothes and got out of the bag. Adult humans put out ~250 watts of heat. That's good for 10-15 degrees. The tent REALLY heated up when I fired up the old cat heater. I can't wait to try out the new heater Coleman is comping me.

Harri3: The wife loves to Summer camp. I haven't even asked her about winter camping though. Aside from the ~$1,000 in clothes she would need, there would not be room for the kid (16 years old) too. These 4-season tents are SMALL! When the whole family gets together in the snow, we just go to a cabin. You also have to be a little crazy to try this. My wife is too smart...
Last edited by Fishnut; Dec 13, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Dec 13, 2009, 01:01 AM
Suspended Account
What fun.
Thanks for sharing.
Dec 13, 2009, 08:29 AM
foamie re-cycler
we camp with this ..summer or winter..insulated ...no drafts (unless we want em)easy set-up and cozy for two..
Dec 13, 2009, 09:06 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Looks like you are having fun.

Ironically, camping in cold weather can be very cozy and warm. While I never have bothered with a heater, something about being comfortable in harsh conditions is a pleasing experience.

It's a great way to beat the crowds too. Other than the right gear, camping is ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE. It's all about who you are with and who is around you.

We just got back from camping in Hawaii with our 16 month old. As perfect as the camping was, the people sucked. First night cops came twice to break up fights, third night the homeless partied till 3am. Theft was a constant concern--it was like camping in the ghettos. Easy living seems to bring out the worst in people, and we ended up at a hotel after 4 nights with these lowlifes.

-Steve
Dec 13, 2009, 10:30 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin

We just got back from camping in Hawaii with our 16 month old. As perfect as the camping was, the people sucked. First night cops came twice to break up fights, third night the homeless partied till 3am. Theft was a constant concern--it was like camping in the ghettos. Easy living seems to bring out the worst in people, and we ended up at a hotel after 4 nights with these lowlifes.

Doesn't Jimbo live in Hawaii ?.
Dec 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Kewlest pic by far for me Griffin. Feeding the kid on the beach is priceless man
Dec 13, 2009, 10:42 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri3

Technical clothing is amazing. I often wonder how explorers of 100 years ago would have fared had it been available then. Maybe Robert Falcon Scott would have survived. The Shackleton expedition would have been warmer and dryer.

They used to wear wool, it keeps you warm even if it gets wet, unlike cotton. I like "technical" fabrics like fleece and moisture wicking polyester because it keeps you warm and wicks sweat away from your skin so you stay dry and don't get chilled. I used to hike and bike wearing cotton T-shirts, and once cotton gets wet it stays wet, then you start getting chilled if you stop to take a break. I used to be able to wring the sweat out of my cotton T-shirts in the summertime while mowing the lawn, now I switched to cheap $8 Walmart polyester running T-shirts and I stay drier and cooler.

One nice thing about moisture wicking fabric is that it dries out faster in the clothes drier too, so you don't have to run it as long. That, and the clothes last longer and colors don't fade out like cotton clothes do.

Quick Reply