Dec 12, 2009, 01:11 PM
My name is Tom
Thread OP
Discussion

I made a camera gimbal for my Quad today.

Today I made a camera gimbal for a compact camera. I made it for a Panasonic DMC-TZ7 or similar.
The main structure is made from 15mm x 2mm aluminium. The mechanics are a 12mm x 6mm x 4mm flanged ballrace and 9 gram servo. The bearing shaft is extended beyond the bearing to allow for the need to shift the cradle left and right.
The suspension device is a piece of 6mm, fabric reinforced rubber cut into a diamond. The gimbal is suspended left and right of the diamond while the diamond is attached to the airframe front to back. I kept each component at a distance by using some silicone fuel tube as standoffs over the bolts.
I still have to decide on the shutter control, either servo or electric, re-balance the cradle and some tidying here and there but otherwise it turned out very well.

Last edited by Tommygunn; Dec 13, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2009, 07:48 PM
Nice job! Looks very professional!
Dec 12, 2009, 07:53 PM
My name is Tom
Thread OP
Cheers.
Dec 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygunn
Today I made a camera gimbal for a compact camera. I made it for a Panasonic DMC-TZ7 or similar.
The main structure is made from 15mm x 2mm aluminium. The machanics are a 12mm x 6mm x 4mm flanged ballrace and 9 gram servo. The bearing shaft is extended beyond the bearing to allow for the need to shift the cradle left and right.
The suspension device is a piece of 6mm, fabric reinforced rubber cut into a diamond. The gimbal is suspended left and right of the diamond while the diamond is attached to the airframe front to back. I kept each component at a distance by using some silicone fuel tube as standoffs over the bolts.
I still have to decide on the shutter control, either servo or electric, re-balance the cradle and some tidying here and there but otherwise it turned out very well.

Great looking mount , and Quad frame .. very neat , and great craftsmanship ....

Terry
Dec 13, 2009, 05:00 PM
My name is Tom
Thread OP
Thanks.
I'm glad it came out so well. Handtools, a vice and some elbow grease was all it took.

Quick Reply