Dec 11, 2009, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help the new guy build 1st Bipe please.

I want to build a bipe. I have only built one plane and it was 35 years ago.
Could someone suggest some good kits for a beginner to build.
I read these are important
(1) Clear Illustrated Instructions
(2) Full Size Plans
(3) Fairly Low Parts Count
(4) Tab and Slot Construction
(5) Complete with All Wood and Good Hardware (Not a short kit)
(6) I want it to be electric so kit should state suggested motor, Esc...

Thank You
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2009, 10:44 PM
Closed Account
Do you have to start with a Bipe? If it was 35 years ago that you built a kit, what building have you done since (other hobbies, wood working, etc.)? What type of bipe; WW1, classic era, modern aerobatics?
Dec 11, 2009, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One
Do you have to start with a Bipe? If it was 35 years ago that you built a kit, what building have you done since (other hobbies, wood working, etc.)? What type of bipe; WW1, classic era, modern aerobatics?
Thanks for the reply.
Well bipes are why I got into RC really (WW1) Fokker, Nieuport, SE5 etc. If I am going to go to the effort to build I want it to be something that inspires me.
As far as other hobbies. I like to do caricature woodcarvings, I recently carved a nativity, a horse, couple of golfers etc. I have done alot of construction work in my younger days. I have rebuilt alot of motors for Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Atvs, and my favorite project was to build a sidecar for my motorcycle.
Last edited by LouBoxer; Dec 12, 2009 at 04:18 AM.
Dec 12, 2009, 04:30 AM
The best documented builds are Peter Rakes designs - see the scale forum https://www.rcgroups.com/scale-electric-planes-10/ and www.peterrake.com

These are not total tab and slot kits, because WWI planes don't lend themselves to that, but they are not hard to build.

Short kits for may are available from www.manzanolaser.com, or from us in the UK. www.replikit.com

Probably the easiest first biplane would be a Sopwith pup, Bristol scout or SE5A.
Dec 12, 2009, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
The Sopwith Pup from Manza looks like it would be perfect for me as I already have the lipos for the motor size recommended. However its a short kit isnt it? I thought short kits we not for beginners and I should get something that has everything I need for my first build?? Could someone please explain the short kit and what it really entails??
Dec 12, 2009, 07:15 AM
Closed Account
The Pup is basically nothing more then sticks. The wing ribs would be included in the short kit and possible any other shaped parts needed to complete. The rest, being made from sticks cut to length is pretty easy to do.

It sounds to me like you have a pretty diverse background and are very mechanical! I don't think you would have problems with a short kit, just take your time and make sure you understand the process as your going along. Also, if you get stuck, people here will help you out.

P.S. I'm a World War One Aeroplane nut, also!!
Dec 12, 2009, 09:08 AM
Look at this thread.

This is a slightly larger pup I think, but you will see what you need to build one

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1109885

Pups fly really well.

Quick Reply