Bobs Workshop Dynamic Balancer - RC Groups
Dec 10, 2009, 03:47 PM
Suspended Account
Discussion

Bobs Workshop Dynamic Balancer

Hi Chaps

Really we needed to start a new thread on this. I will start my review on Saturday UK time.

Lot of interest in this product and it being available from a UK source for a change.

Can someone post a couple of links to Bobs site and some of the cool threads on the product? I am on my PDA just now and I have limited functionality.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2009, 03:55 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Here is a link to Bobs website:

http://www.bobsworkshop.co.uk/outdoo...d-fan-balancer

Here is the thread I started when I got mine and how to use it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1081834

Don
Dec 10, 2009, 04:11 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks Don, perhaps Bob can sign in, did not know he was on groups?
Dec 10, 2009, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account
Here is the thread from when Bob released it for sale.

ttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626476
Dec 11, 2009, 10:34 AM
Good day gentlemen.
I now have the thread subscribed
Dec 11, 2009, 11:34 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blackburn
Good day gentlemen.
I now have the thread subscribed
Hi Bob

Sorry for the delay, will get busy with this over the weekend.

Steve
Dec 12, 2009, 11:38 AM
Signing on ....seeing as i've just ordered a unit and will need some instruction on its use, Glad Bobs looking in ...Dave
Dec 13, 2009, 11:41 AM
I have just tweaked the manual slightly you can use the link below.

Latest Manual 13 12 09

Or

Go to the page:
Ducted Fan Balancer
Dec 13, 2009, 03:29 PM
Suspended Account
I have been working hard to get my review of the Balancer unit.

I have run into a very serious and unexpected issue, balancer unit fine, but the 1521 1.5y thats all permenently bonded together with the fan

Well, I wanted to cry really, the motor is so far out of balance I was taking lots of video and you will hear the unit running.

Because the balancer is started with the fan deliberatly out of balance I did not realise what was going on until later.

Waste of an afternoon and hours of work converting the fan, its all a pile of junk now.

As I said in the video (no sure if I should post it), it was vibrating so badly I thought I might just as well throw my washing in it, its all its good for

In the morning I will likely wake up, see this post, feel petty and stupid, delete it and just move on, lifes too short.
Dec 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Steve, that's an unfortunate trend with them, in my last two batches I got about 20-25% which needed rebalancing, which is a good way to use up a lot of time if your balancer isn't designed for balancing motor rotors. Not sure what's going on over there, it's not like it used to be. I sure hope Steve can get things sorted out, I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering.

Stu.
Dec 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
The sad thing is, Bobs manual states specifically that you should try the motor without the fan first as some of these cheap Chinese outrunners are a bit off base?

Of course, having a Neu motor I just skipped that page.. DOH!!
Dec 13, 2009, 04:47 PM
Wow!

Sorry to hear about that Steve.
Not sure where the videos are you mention though?
Dec 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
I was wondering about the futility of posting them/it?
Dec 13, 2009, 11:56 PM
Suspended Account
Did post the video briefly but now removed, signing off from this thread.
Dec 27, 2009, 06:10 PM
Closed Account

Adapter for larger EDF's

Heres is an adapter I made to fit on Bob's balancer for bigger EDF's. The one shown in the pic is a prototype of the 80mm.