This thread is privately moderated by kineticartist, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 09, 2009, 03:53 PM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Sportster rebuild: LG

Landing gear can tear out the surrounding fuselage if not spring loaded in one way or another. For some reason I forget this when building. I build to the plan and that is the case with the Sportser so on the first flight the LG tore out and took some of the former with it.

So with this rebuild I spring loaded the LG like I usually do. This works very well and saves the fuse. (I thought ahead and spring loaded the LG on the Erla 6A before the first flight. Does this means I'm learning? No. )

I put the gear between two pieces of 1/8" ply and screwed a 1/16" ply plate on top. I use a rubber band of the proper size and then the gear springs back on a less than graceful landing. I use sewing hooks instead of making my own.

Trexler rubber tires are another way of spring loading a landing and I use those too sometimes.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply