Apr 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
old foamie
Whoa, thats pretty spry for a indoor plane.You did a good job on it.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
Renegade Eggroll
what's your power system on that Stryker Kiwikid?
Apr 12, 2011, 09:49 PM
Person of interest
Any set up you would use for a 3D EPP foamie will do.

I used a stick mounted Ultrafly B/06/10 1000kv outrunner, swinging a GWS HD 8x6 prop with a 15 amp ESC and an 800 mAh 20C battery. There is enough room in the battery bay to go up to 1300 battery which I use sometimes when ridge soaring for ballast.
Apr 12, 2011, 10:38 PM
Renegade Eggroll
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Any set up you would use for a 3D EPP foamie will do.

I used a stick mounted Ultrafly B/06/10 1000kv outrunner, swinging a GWS HD 8x6 prop with a 15 amp ESC and an 800 mAh 20C battery. There is enough room in the battery bay to go up to 1300 battery which I use sometimes when ridge soaring for ballast.
I want to build mine like yours. I'm new to RC planes so speed is not on my priority list. I just need it to be able to handle 5-10mph wind bc it's always windy in Chicago. But slow enough that I can learn to fly.
Apr 13, 2011, 08:31 PM
Tried watching that last video but its hard to see when youre up shakin dat thang!!!

All my parts have just been sitting here!! I still need a fuselage and depron....and some good tape for the hinges. Or super light hinges what do you guys prefer?

Sorta ran outta cash and need a real radio still also. But cant friekin wait to get one of these in the air!!! Nice flyin there kiwi looks smooth and fun.
Apr 13, 2011, 09:49 PM
Renegade Eggroll
wopa - I use blenderm tape for my hinges on my other planes. Works great!
Apr 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
--Fly By Night--
If you don't have any Blenderm, you can use plain old packing tape. Tape doesn't like to stick to epp, so you may need to spray a light coat of 3M 90 or 3m 77 spray glue where you will be placing the tape. Let it dry for a while and then the tape will stick.
Apr 19, 2011, 09:02 AM
Renegade Eggroll
Hi all,

After reading this thread, I ordered the parts and started building my light Stryker last nite. I'm using the following motor and mount:

- 2712-17 1700KV motor
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ner-Brushless-
- Motor mount
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail

I was wondering if I need to angle the mount and/or motor a certain way to counter the torque? Sorry for a newbie question, I'm still learning to fly and this is my first Stryker.

Thanks!
Tom
Apr 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
I used that same plastic stick mount on my lightweight Stryker (though I bought mine from HobbyKing). When I installed the mount, I attempted to align it parallel to the top/bottom centerline of the fuse, NOT to the top surface of the fuse (which angles down toward the back because of the tapering fuse/wing thickness). So the stick mount is embedded a little deeper towards the front. See the attached photo. It worked out just fine that way inflight...there are no sudden pitch-change effects when increasing or decreasing power. There is a build description and another photo of my lightweight Stryker here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1337131
Apr 19, 2011, 06:59 PM
ohio usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor
Hi all,

After reading this thread, I ordered the parts and started building my light Stryker last nite. I'm using the following motor and mount:

- 2712-17 1700KV motor
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ner-Brushless-
- Motor mount
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail

I was wondering if I need to angle the mount and/or motor a certain way to counter the torque? Sorry for a newbie question, I'm still learning to fly and this is my first Stryker.

Thanks!
Tom
With the lightweight setup and the motor you're using I doubt you'll have any torque roll issue. Here is a diagram showing how it works. Might be good to build in a small amount of left thrust per the diagram. One or two degrees is good.
Apr 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
I used the same motor mount. I just glued it to the top surface of the wing. I do not embed it in the wing at all. This gives it a very slight down thrust which I like. It does not pitch up or down with the throttle and helps holds the nose down with full throttle. I align it to the nose as straight as possible with no left or right angle.
Apr 19, 2011, 09:13 PM
--Fly By Night--
Notar's advice would be good if you had some serious gear in your Stryker, but for lightweight, low-powered stuff, don't even worry about it. If your motor was mounted on the front, you may need a slight bit of angle to the motor, but with a pusher, no left thrust is needed unless you are in excess of 600+ watts. My "Outlaw" Stryker at 600 watts and 120+ mph uses no left thrust and has no torque issues at all.
Apr 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
ohio usa
I agree with you murman.......but its good to be aware of the situation to avoid a sloppy build where you accidently end up with a bit of right thrust on a stryker then wonder why it's hard to control....That's why I suggest at least tiny amount of left thrust as a good practice. Not critical as long as you're dead on straight.
Apr 19, 2011, 11:06 PM
Renegade Eggroll
cool! Thanks a bunch guys. I can't wait to get this baby in the air!
Apr 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
ohio usa
Hey wow!

Here is a motor that might be fun on a light stryker. Don's RC has this 2200kv brushless outrunner firewall type mounting......only 29 grams. A little small for what I've been used to. This one has been tested with up to a 6x4 prop which pushes a stryker real good but I'm afraid it would overheat. The 5x5 would probly work better.

http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=63