Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 26, 2020, 10:05 AM
Classic wooden RC sailboater
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin4223
Hi Steve, yes jack wire.
Eyelet, I guess it depends on what you deem an eyelet.
The BG sails have a small heat sealed eye on each seam for a light line to pass through holding the sail to rig.

Some images attached of mainsail @ head & tack and sealed eye on seam.
Perfect! Thanks for the information and clear images.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2020, 11:46 AM
John - In my private capacity
Hi Steve,
yes - jack line - gives much better control of the luff of the main.

consider ordering two jibs - they wrinkle more easily than the main, and having a spare ready when the jib starts to look bad, will go well with a main that still has lots of life left.

Vickers makes great sails too, and has a much shorter wait time.
http://vickersrcsailing.com/sails

John
Jan 26, 2020, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
Hi Steve,
... Vickers makes great sails too, and has a much shorter wait time.
http://vickersrcsailing.com/sails

John
Ha! You beat me to it. So after all that discussion, I figured that as long as I'm building a Vickers V8 I may as well stick to his stuff and order his sails. Just sent an order email in to him. Thanks!
Jan 26, 2020, 12:09 PM
"Call me Fitz"
BG sails are the standard by which all others are measured in terms of quality, longevity, and championship history
The moulded sails have a shorter history but also have good results and dedicated users
Vickers sails are nicely shaped and ship quickly
I generally place an order with BG in late Autumn for delivery in early Spring but have ordered from Ian when I need a sail quickly
Stick with tubular spars - groovy's are a bit harder to control being quite bendy -
Jan 26, 2020, 01:15 PM
Will fly for food
I also like Vickers sails. Very good in lighter winds.
Jan 27, 2020, 10:19 AM
Okay, thanks everyone. I sent an order to Vickers for an A suit of sails. Now back to the rig questions.

Midwest Model Yachting sells both a normal aluminum tube mast and a "Modelisme" mast. What are people using now? Which one is stiffer? Do you still put some pre-bend into them, and if so, which one is preferred for that?

Main Boom: SailsEtc "Section" boom (the rectangular one with a built-in track) or the round tube one (that you have to drill a bunch of holes into)? I've only ever used the section boom, and I like the adjustments you can do. I'm guessing there's a weight penalty but is it enough to merit someone of my low skills to go with the round tube main boom?
Jan 27, 2020, 11:31 AM
OlivierFRA100
Just my 2 cents, but a "Stiffer" mast is not the best...

On modern rigs/boats, a "soft" mast such as PG Modelisme (I guess it's what you are talking about) allows the mast to bend in puffs, so the boat can accelerate instead of helming too much...and they are lighter, which is good as well.

Then round 11mm booms are stiff enough and lighter. There are other solutions than holes to attach sheets => rubber grommets or line + bowsies + hook.
Jan 27, 2020, 12:44 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRCSailor
or the round tube one (that you have to drill a bunch of holes into)
Drilling a dozen holes into an aluminum boom never made sense to me.
I'm not sure who came up with this idea or where it started, but it limits you to finite adjustments in steps.
I like the KISS principle and I think the DF65/95 boats make the most sense, giving you simple infinite adjustments with no holes to drill to weaken your boom and allow corrosion at the hole:
https://youtu.be/uGQCQ5SQsl8?t=145
Last edited by Scratchy101; Jan 27, 2020 at 03:26 PM.
Jan 27, 2020, 03:12 PM
go with the PG mast and round booms - there are externally applied bands that you can use on the booms if you don't want to drill holes in them
Feb 08, 2020, 10:32 AM

Tx question

I've only ever used Spektrum Tx and Rx for all my boats, but many have suggested that there are better ones to use. I'd like to try something different on my newest build (V8).

Some have told me they like Futaba better because it is more weather-resistant. I know Futaba has a long and successful record, so I'm open to it.

However, I'm seeing that many are now using FrSky. I tried one last spring and liked it. I loved the small size, the battery charge level, and the haptic feedback. I'm very intrigued. Any thoughts?

If you can, please say which specific model you like, and which corresponding receiver you use with it. I'm also sure that this has been fully hashed out before but equipment changes quickly and I'd like to hear what people are using recently.

Thank you!
Feb 08, 2020, 11:56 AM
I love my Futaba 6EX, but it is no longer available - It is robust, easy to program, and takes a 2500mh3S lipo that runs for two day regattas without recharge. If buying a new radio, I would go for the Futaba 6J.

My backup radio is a Turnigy TGY-i6 Mode 2. It takes AA batteries, which is a nuisance. It also has an annoying beep if you put it down (between heats).

What ever you choose, get a programmable one with mode 2. Look for one that can be programmed from the radio directly without use of a computer.

Don't get a pistol grip, and don't skimp to get a basic one such as Turnagy T4A - this radio works but has manual trims, and is not as adjustable as a programmable.

John
Feb 08, 2020, 09:07 PM
Went with the Futaba 6J. It comes with a receiver, although I wish it was waterproof but it should be fine.
Feb 12, 2020, 05:03 PM
Hey folks, FYI. I put up an ad for my britpop for sale. In the classified

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...73-IOM-Britpop
Feb 16, 2020, 09:03 PM

Passing of an IOM sailor

It is with great sadness and a profound sense of loss that I report the passing today of our friend and IOM enthusiast (Former Secretary to IOMICA), Barry Fox, after a short struggle with Pancreatic Cancer.

He had a far reaching influence and was a fund of knowledge. He will be missed.

John
Feb 17, 2020, 03:30 AM
OlivierFRA100
I could work with him at IOMICA, and couldn't say better. RIP and fair winds Barry.
All my condolences to his family.

Quick Reply