View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Dec 06, 2019, 11:47 PM
I shouldn't do calculations late at night. The plusses and minuses combined to muck me up, big time!.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2020, 02:53 PM
IOM USA 868
San Diego 2020 Mid-Winter IOM Regatta - Feb 15 and 16 - San Diego Mission Bay Pond. Sign up here:
https://form.jotform.com/200016716579960
Jan 04, 2020, 03:43 PM
Ferdinand Augusta de Berfel SA
Region 5 Championship (ranking) regatta 28 Feb-1 Mar in Corpus Christi TX - high wind venue

NoR and Registration on the IOMUSA website
Jan 05, 2020, 01:11 AM
It would be great if these two races could be a bit further apart. Id like to do both, but this seems hard to do as things stand now.
Jan 09, 2020, 02:47 PM
19 kts at noon today building to 25 tomorrow in Corpus Christi!
C rig baby!
Jan 09, 2020, 07:44 PM
One thing I have learn't over the years is that you never brag or talk about the wind till after the regatta as the next words are this never happen here
Jan 10, 2020, 04:11 PM
An education is a good thing, but your personal insights notwithstanding, a high wind venue will be a welcome change.
Jan 25, 2020, 03:44 PM
Classic wooden RC sailboater

Rig and Sails advice

Hi everyone,

I could use some advice for A rigs and sails. I'm currently in various stages of building two wooden IOM's.

My current intention is to buy a full A rig from Midwest Model Yachting. I intend to get the 7/16" (11mm) Modelisme mast, ball-raced gn, 10mm jib boom, SailsEtc section main boom, etc... That sound okay? On my first IOM I bought a groovy mast and was later told that most aren't using them any more. Thoughts?

For sails, I was considering the 3Dmf sails from Sailboat RC in Croatia. Are most using eyelets right now? Again, thoughts? Other sail makers you recommend?

I am a fairly experienced wooden hull maker but pretty rookie sailor/racer. These rigs will go on wooden hulls only.

I'm absolutely certain that this has all come up before, so if you know of a conversation on this please feel free to just send me to a link.

Thanks,

Steve
Jan 25, 2020, 06:07 PM
Mike Hansow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRCSailor
Hi everyone,

I could use some advice for A rigs and sails
Start by checking out some of these pictures

http://www.ibextrax.com/Boats/indexB.html
Jan 25, 2020, 06:24 PM
Thanks Mike. To my eye, the rig I mentioned looks like what others are using.

The first set of IOM sails that I bought were from Radio Sailing Shop in Australia. I think they're actually made by Spectre Sails but have a RSS sticker on them. They seem great to me but others have spoken highly of the Croatian sails so I wanted to ask. He uses a molded one-piece sail that is intriguing.

I saw some Gibson Sails and some Blackmagic sails in the pics too. I know the great reputation that BG sails has, and they are actually around the same price as others, so I'm thinking that may be the way to go unless people have had a really good experience with the molded Croatian sails.
Last edited by SeattleRCSailor; Jan 25, 2020 at 06:33 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 11:16 PM
AUS 1941
I've had groovy masts on previous boats 11mm and 12.5mm and they are much stiffer, so easier to set.
Also slugs are stronger than loops, but there is a considerable weight penalty of mast and sails with slugs, not eyelets, harder to buy.
Unless you have groovy masts to use, I'd go for straight tube mast.
Jan 26, 2020, 04:15 AM
You can’t go wrong with BG sails. Just check on the lead time as they are in high demand so might have a bit of a wait.
Jan 26, 2020, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I could use some advice for A rigs and sails. I'm currently in various stages of building two wooden IOM's.

My current intention is to buy a full A rig from Midwest Model Yachting. I intend to get the 7/16" (11mm) Modelisme mast, ball-raced gn, 10mm jib boom, SailsEtc section main boom, etc... That sound okay? On my first IOM I bought a groovy mast and was later told that most aren't using them any more. Thoughts?

For sails, I was considering the 3Dmf sails from Sailboat RC in Croatia. Are most using eyelets right now? Again, thoughts? Other sail makers you recommend?

I am a fairly experienced wooden hull maker but pretty rookie sailor/racer. These rigs will go on wooden hulls only.

I'm absolutely certain that this has all come up before, so if you know of a conversation on this please feel free to just send me to a link.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve, BG sails every time for me, Mainsail is best on a Jackyard with light dynnema 16lb loops at the seams.

Yes there might be a lead-time, however any wait is worth it!
Jan 26, 2020, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin4223
Hi Steve, BG sails every time for me, Mainsail is best on a Jackyard with light dynnema 16lb loops at the seams.

Yes there might be a lead-time, however any wait is worth it!
Thanks Gavin! I'm assuming that by "jackyard" you mean what we Yanks call a "jack wire"... a wire running down the luff of the mainsail. Do you also have the maker put in eyelets in the luff seams, or do you just thread your loops with needle around the mast and wire?
Jan 26, 2020, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Thanks Gavin! I'm assuming that by "jackyard" you mean what we Yanks call a "jack wire"... a wire running down the luff of the mainsail. Do you also have the maker put in eyelets in the luff seams, or do you just thread your loops with needle around the mast and wire?
Hi Steve, yes jack wire.
Eyelet, I guess it depends on what you deem an eyelet.
The BG sails have a small heat sealed eye on each seam for a light line to pass through holding the sail to rig.

Some images attached of mainsail @ head & tack and sealed eye on seam.

Quick Reply