IOM General Discussion - Page 755 - RC Groups
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 12, 2018, 06:31 PM
Wilson. Just my 3 cents but with a little planning how about just the rig box being UPS , Fed Ex or DHL a week ahead to say a regatta organizers house. That way no frenzy assembly the night before regatta. Baron sure does look like he is well organized from that photo. Cheers Scott.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2018, 08:46 PM
Barry D USA 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzzy
Wilson. Just my 3 cents but with a little planning how about just the rig box being UPS , Fed Ex or DHL a week ahead to say a regatta organizers house. That way no frenzy assembly the night before regatta. Baron sure does look like he is well organized from that photo. Cheers Scott.
I'm using a split mast for air travel from now on, using the one case system, where everything fits into one hard case with wheels and paying the $75 oversize if you have to is worth the one hour set up time I think. I made the mistake last time of checking my rig box to avoid the $180 R/T fedex charge only to end up with it being destroyed. Golf bags for the boat hasn't worked out well either - lost one time for 2 days and wheels broken off the other. I'm changing over to the military grade SKB case like some others have. I can't see how a Bantock mast joiner located low could possibly affect performance, I looked at several masts at last years nationals with joiners and they all looked perfect.
Jan 12, 2018, 10:29 PM
Will fly for food
If you use Jelacic sails that require a straight mast the joiner would have even less affect on the rig.
Jan 13, 2018, 03:05 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Once Fed Ex destroyed my hard sailbox shipping it to Dallas from Victoria. It should have been in a stronger shipping container. It ruined my trip. Since traveling to far away events was very important to me (on my bucket list) I debated about 1 or 2 piece masts. I decided on 1 for performance. In retrospect wish I went 2.
Jan 13, 2018, 04:06 PM
And while talking jointed masts don't forget that the maximum size for any joiner is 100mm.
F3.4
Jan 13, 2018, 06:54 PM
10 yrs of traveling I have never had to pay extra for my rig case ( whats in the case Sir ? fishing rods ) just put a bunch of fishing stickers on the case . works every time .boat always goes as carry on.rig case should be covered with leather or vinyl and black so it dose not stand out
Jan 13, 2018, 07:07 PM
I guess that's fine if you do not mind telling a fib or two to save a few bucks but not exactly what is right.

The damage on PP's rig box does not seem that much, more of a scratch than proper damage, at least the rig box did what it is supposed to do, protect the rigs that are inside.

All depends on what level you are happy at and how big your budget is i guess, easy.
Jan 17, 2018, 08:24 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoni1
Just thinking about transporting IOM's and the rigs.. its a pretty big box.. anyways, just wondering if using a sectioned mast is really that detrimental to its performance? I was thinking that the pre-bend would remain at the top of the mast with a connection piece about halfway down.
Not a problem if you get it to fit perfectly. Join the #1 at the spreaders.
My #2 joiner is just above the boom.
Jan 18, 2018, 11:23 AM
OlivierFRA100
If not noticed, list of competitors for Euro 2018 in Croatia April 7th/13th.
http://www.iomec2018.com/index.php/d...mpetitors-list
Jan 18, 2018, 04:13 PM
Thanks FRA3700, good luck at the race, i will be watching on the internet if it is videoed.

Could you explain why Thailand has been given not one but two guest places for the event or was it the boss's choice?

I may be wrong but i am under the impression that Thailand has no NCA and is not in Europe last time i checked.

I have also just checked the entry list again and see that a member of the IOMICA committee and good friend of the Chairman has also been granted a place but not as a guest but as a member of team USA!!!!! Even though USA are only eligable for one place in round 1 and 2!!

I smell a rat.
Last edited by lazerb77; Jan 18, 2018 at 06:00 PM.
Jan 18, 2018, 08:33 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
lazer77 and others: your comment is suggesting shady decisions by the class committee. If you don't have the nerve to use your own name, your comments hold no value (In my opinion). Thailand hosted a huge event and I think, don't know) subsidized the event quite a bit. A gesture of thanks for being so nice to the IOM class. Don't get too serious about life. Have fun. Write a letter to the class association instead of slamming people here.
Jan 18, 2018, 10:33 PM
Barry D USA 747
Lazerb77, the obvious reason Thailand, with no NCA was granted spots, is to try and promote the class and form one! , You obviously don't know the USA person granted a spot and what he has done for this class, more validity to your troll status, go back to your basement please............
Jan 19, 2018, 03:26 AM
OlivierFRA100
Why THA got 2 places => Decision of events SC, Rob Walsh and myself, because THA has just sent docs to create an NCA there, and good promotion there then.
Same for AUT, who are creating an NCA.
CZE was granted a guest spot as well, but they choose to let it.

Lazer, for USA(and JPN) 2nd spot, you should read CCR. And stop writing such stupid rumours.
Jan 19, 2018, 09:46 AM
Porky Pig, the huge event that you talk about, I am presuming you mean the Kings Cup, this was an invite only event to the most influential skippers and yes, partly funded. Think about 12 non Thai skippers, hardly a huge race, indeed, I do not remember seeing any video footage but I bet you can guess who was on the microphone?

FRA3700, Thailand have been filling in the papers to become an NCA for an awful long time, indeed, I think this excuse was given when they gained 2 guest places for the Championships last year or the year before.

It is not fair that a NON EUROPEAN, NON NCA country gets double the amount of places as a EUROPEAN NCA country for the EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS just because.

Sightline. Thailand were granted guest spots at the last event and have at least two manufactures of IOM boats but still no NCA, form one, how lomg does it take? As for the the USA person granted a spot, agree, they all give up there own time to volunteer, what about Geoff Brierley who did not receive a place and I have seen him running many races and his business sponsoring big Championships for many years, Mirage yachts I think, no place though.

Thailand maybe getting bigger within the sport, and if they are, I look forward to the ASIAN Championships in 2020, that gives them another 2 years to get an NCA.
Jan 19, 2018, 10:02 AM
OlivierFRA100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerb77
FRA3700, Thailand have been filling in the papers to become an NCA for an awful long time, indeed, I think this excuse was given when they gained 2 guest places for the Championships last year or the year before.

It is not fair that a NON EUROPEAN, NON NCA country gets double the amount of places as a EUROPEAN NCA country for the EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS just because.

Sightline. Thailand were granted guest spots at the last event and have at least two manufactures of IOM boats but still no NCA, form one, how lomg does it take? As for the the USA person granted a spot, agree, they all give up there own time to volunteer, what about Geoff Brierley who did not receive a place and I have seen him running many races and his business sponsoring big Championships for many years, Mirage yachts I think, no place though.

Thailand maybe getting bigger within the sport, and if they are, I look forward to the ASIAN Championships in 2020, that gives them another 2 years to get an NCA.
THA HAS applied for NCA a few weeks ago. It doesn't last for years.
Jeff Byerley just forgot to ask a spot for AUS when it was possible.
The USA person (Gary Boell) hasn't been granted a stage 1 guest spot. Read CCR.

If you believe it's not fair, that's your opinion. But as you are anonymous, I don't care.

Quick Reply