IOM General Discussion - Page 730 - RC Groups
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 08, 2017, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
That not allways the case. Many times the output of the servo has mechanical reverse expo due to the round output. To get a linier output you often need up to 25% positive expo. Races can be won or lost by overuse of the rudder and to smooth out the center of the stick IMHO is a good thing.
I too, love expo on my rudder, both in high and low rate (rate selected by switch). I am often asked by Club members to set up for them as they don't understand how to do it, yet it is really quite simple on most radios.

Once set up (only takes a couple of minutes to set), and they try it on the water, they have always loved it as it gives the fine movements needed without over-control and stopping the boat. Have not had any ask to have it reverted back to no expo yet.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2017, 09:34 AM
Barry D USA 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfox1
Pretty sure Psychosis is running his radio in Mode 1 so that will account for the reverse of control compared to most of us.

But back to the original request.

From one Barry to another and in return for the good advice about using a Craig Smith rudder.

In Futaba territory, a 6EX is a fine radio from a technology pont of view but its menu system is pretty out of date and always was harder to navigate.

A T6J uses a slightly different implementation of frequency hopping but still very strong. But when they released this radio they did not use the same menu system as on the "bigger" radio like the T8J and T10J. It is way better than the 6EX but not quite there. The T6K has the same menu system as the higher numbered J radios and is very easy to skip around in and find the settings you are looking for.

Get one and bring it to the CAN Nats and we can get you all set up Thursday in a matter of maybe 20 minutes with throttle curves to handle wind changes and dual rates to handle the rudder. It sounds hard to explain it but once you see it done once you wonder why you hadn't done it before.

That setup service will come at no charge!!!

-Barry
Thanks Barry, I might just take you up on that! I see the T6K also has telemetry for receiver battery - even better!
Sep 08, 2017, 01:40 PM
IBEX Lair, Cavalero Hill

I like all the rudder throw I can get.

So much for the perceived advantages of slowing down your rudder and desensitizing your sheeting in an effort to crutch your lack of skills and add a deterrent in getting up to speed and improving your helmsmanship. If you all havenít noticed yet in R/C yachting, things can happen very fast and typically the skipper that reacts the fastest to change acquires the advantage. To promote safety on the water, I propose those slugging around the course with a detuned transmitter should fly a yellow streamer from the masthead so others can avoid the yellow group that is technically out of control. Soon all will see the yellow streamers will be at the back by the end of the race. Of course the tactical thing to do is to get everybody else to screw-up their radios. So . . . forget everything I said!
Sep 08, 2017, 01:45 PM
"consumerwil"
Oh 4D2 ... I totally visioned you actually saying this .... hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA 42
So much for the perceived advantages of slowing down your rudder and desensitizing your sheeting in an effort to crutch your lack of skills and add a deterrent in getting up to speed and improving your helmsmanship. If you all havenít noticed yet in R/C yachting, things can happen very fast and typically the skipper that reacts the fastest to change acquires the advantage. To promote safety on the water, I propose those slugging around the course with a detuned transmitter should fly a yellow streamer from the masthead so others can avoid the yellow group that is technically out of control. Soon all will see the yellow streamers will be at the back by the end of the race. Of course the tactical thing to do is to get everybody else to screw-up their radios. So . . . forget everything I said!
Sep 08, 2017, 01:50 PM
Yes watch out for all the yellow boats!!
Sep 08, 2017, 03:39 PM
USA 42. Completely agree 100%.

As much throw and as quick as possible, you never know when you will need it to get you out of a tricky situation, just learn to move the thumbs a little slower according to the situation in front of you.
Sep 08, 2017, 04:25 PM

Yellow Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B.
Yes watch out for all the yellow boats!!
Yellow boats with yellow streamers should sail their proper course especially Team Tuscany, and Team Citadel.
Sep 08, 2017, 07:14 PM
Will fly for food
First off, Expo does not limit the amount of throw, (unless you want it to). Accualy the expo can greatly increase the speed of travel (if you want it to). When you say as much throw as I can get do you bother to increase the servo resolution by maxing the servo travel? There are many things that your radio is capable of and many of them can help you, you just need to understand what they do and why they help. These mixes are very important for airplanes and HELI's and without them they could be unflyable. Expo is not something that is going to make a huge difference in the way the rudder feels (unless you want it to). Why have a mechanically inferior rudder control system modify the output to a nonlinear output? I have watched my rudders trailing edge jump 3/16" with almost no stick movement and over 1/4" before the stick was on the springs. With just a small amount of expo the rudder now moves with the stick in a linier fashion like it should.
Last edited by davidjensen; Sep 08, 2017 at 07:24 PM.
Sep 12, 2017, 02:20 AM
Does anyone here know or have experience with the LYNX design?
Sep 13, 2017, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA/RCFlyer
Does anyone here know or have experience with the LYNX design?
A bit before my time, but Simon Clarke used to sail one in the UK and won the SW champs with a Lynx back in 2010.
Sep 13, 2017, 08:22 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin4223
A bit before my time, but Simon Clarke used to sail one in the UK and won the SW champs with a Lynx back in 2010.
Can anyone provide a little bit more information on this design? I've added it to http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/lynxIOM
Who designed it? Beam? Are plans available? All data is valuable...

Thank you!
Sep 17, 2017, 09:26 AM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12

IOM Tara by ARS Composites Freelancer

Baron and I have both purchased the subject IOM and we got out yesterday for the first time in a boat for boat setting, using the BritPop as the standard (of course!) and Baron's new Tara.
Mine just arrived Thursday, not ready for water yet.

Conditions were poor for accurate testing. Wind direction was straight up from us. Without reading too much into it. .. it seemed there was a distinct change in Taras favor when the breeze came up over 5 knots.. and we never saw more than 7. With practically zero real tuning etc, I'd say there's certainly promise Tara can be competitive.
Expect to see these 2 boats competing at US Nationals next month in Texas.

Rood has done a fine job with his building skills. He's also a competition pattern aircraft builder, and those pilots are even pickier than we are when it comes to craftsmanship and quality.
The boat is very light, the build quality is first rate, and well worth both initial cost and waiting for it.
He's also building under license the Wedge by Mark Dicks, and the Nitro by Jeff Byerley, so if you're looking for something from a more well-known designer, those options are covered.

As far as I know his only advertising is on Facebook, but I don't think you need to be signed up to view it:
https://www.facebook.com/ARS-Composi...8385336274045/

I'll take some detailed pics of mine during the fitting out stage for those that are interested.
Sep 17, 2017, 11:06 AM
"Conditions were poor for accurate testing...." Yet you go on and suggest that in over five knots "there was a distinct change in Tara's favor....." And without even fitting out your boat, you also comment on the construction of your new purchase.

Perhaps you should consider in your evaluation "new buyer's bias"? You know the syndrome. You just bought a new car. You waited months to get it. In those circumstances when driving it home for the first time no one thinks "well this is a terrible car and I made a bad decision. My fault."

Glad to see you bought a new boat Steve. But maybe you might hold off evaluating its performance and construction until you have at least sailed a few times in conditions that are not "poor for accurate testing." Just a thought. Lol
Sep 17, 2017, 11:41 AM
some video including a Wedge #34 racing here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=_4L8S4Y0nS4
Sep 17, 2017, 01:33 PM
Not looking to be confrontational but...No tuning to speak of, wind from the top down and Tara has a destinct advantage over a BP? Not sure how any conclusion can be drawn here except that the Tara floats as does the BP.

SJ