View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Jul 14, 2010, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Scully,

Well done on the first place, the Shadow is still being put together, the winch and the electrics went in on the weekend and I have been taking my time with the A Rig, I will post some more photos when she is all finished and Will take some photos when she finally gets launched.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2010, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
Hello All,

Have attached a link for one of the fastest boats in our club and one of the top boats in Western Australia, The member has a new boat and has decided to put this very fast boat Mirage Yachts "Xtreme" on the market
Link
http://www.radiosailing.org.au/forsale.htm

If you are in the market for a boat this will not disapoint sail number 114 check our club website for the results its had.
http://dev1.westcoastryc.com/index.p...tpage&Itemid=1
Jul 15, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hi,
How would you describe the build quility of these boats I cannot find any pictures of the deck etc.
Jul 16, 2010, 12:33 AM
Thread OP
Toni,
This is Jeff Byerley designed and built boat here is his website, you may know his other designs, Cockatoo and Mad Max are the most well know
http://mirageradioyachts.com/index2.htm
There is one over in europe doing very well sails by Torvald Klem see the results on the website. This Xtreme comes with Power sails and and RMG winch
Jul 19, 2010, 07:09 PM
k4s
k4s
The crew just got crustier as time went on
Jul 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
K4s
Love your crew they would go nice with a beer at the end of the day

I have finally got some more photos of my new Shadow, it has been in the paint shop being refinished, this is just the undercoat, but I need to finish the winch setup so I can race this weekend
Jul 22, 2010, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Another photo with the A rig up just about ready for Saturday just need to wok out how to reverse the winch via the transmitter
Jul 23, 2010, 05:47 AM
Simple,
There is a reverse switch on the face of most transmitters and if yours has a digital interface, it will be in the programme mode.

Hmmm looks like the crew is a little craby this morning....time for the side step and claw in the butter!
Jul 23, 2010, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Well today is my new boats first outing, bottle of bubbly already to go
Think I will drink it instead of smashing it over the boat
12-6 knots today so will let you know how she goes in the light breezes Scully
got home late last night and spent 2 1/2 hours just trying to work out the winch, got it all set, had to borrow a mates TX and RX as I didn't have time to figure out how to work the computer programme to switch the direction of the winch.

Will try to post some results tonight
Jul 24, 2010, 04:29 AM
k4s
k4s
http://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/index.html

Link to whats happening down Tauranga way in NZ
Jul 24, 2010, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Yesterdays results, not that happy but a couple of races were my fault for getting in the wrong spot and going from front/mid fleet to the back

http://dev1.westcoastryc.com/index.p...ord=24/07/2010

Scully it sailed well in the light winds and I mean light, the last race took 30mins. It still needs alot of setting up, but as soon as she got the slightest bit of breeze she took off.
Jul 27, 2010, 11:44 PM
Dear Mike,

Good to know that she does well in light airs. I noticed that the Tempest really comes to its element in the top of the "A". Not that it does not do well in the light stuff. She is comparable to the rest of the yachts but in the strong winds and choppy waters, she is noticably faster then most.
Keep us updated with the Shadow.
Cheers!
Jul 28, 2010, 04:20 AM
Guys, i was looking at the links of those boat manufacturers ... but most of them no longer in business or it's just the portal is gone ?

I've been looking for the Norlin, Meterboats, Carl Weatherill -Vapour or Tempest and many more seems to be not in the web anymore ...... are they really out of the business or just the portal is not active anymore ?
Jul 28, 2010, 04:55 AM
k4s
k4s
Lama,
Carl is still up and running.
He has had some family health problems lately with his mother passing away so is a bit behind.When the NZRYA moved to their new site his hosting stopped on the previous one.Talking to him a week or so back,he was starting to put together a new page.
Can't be to far away.
Jul 28, 2010, 05:11 AM
k4s
k4s
Scully,
Ive noticed the same thing with the Tempest.She seems to perform really well in a powered up breeze and a chop.Loves the B rig.The boat seems to hobby horse less than others when the water is rough and doesnt seem to slam down when going over a wave.

Just lately I have been setting the jib up with a fraction more leach twist than the main.I used to try and get the curves identical when looking from the stern forward and the sheets right in.Now I'm setting the jib to twist off a little more.No measurements yet,just doing it by eye.Along with the extra twist I'm sheeting the jib boom tighter (55mm instead of 60mm) to the centre line of the boat.
For me this has worked well so far,both light and heavy winds the settings are identical.Only at the very top of A rig do I revert to the wider position.

Quick Reply