View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

May 19, 2017, 04:27 PM
How do people fasten their sails securely in sail cases please? Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2017, 04:29 PM
Has there been an attempt to use video replay in a protest hearing?
May 19, 2017, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug
Has there been an attempt to use video replay in a protest hearing?
In 'big' boat sailing there are some examples. Try a search on 'ISAF protest video evidence'

John
May 19, 2017, 04:48 PM
Compression clips like those you would use to hold a broom on the wall...
May 19, 2017, 07:50 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikiwi
I just bought some this week. I'll post pics and where I got them tomorrow.
May 19, 2017, 08:59 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
In 'big' boat sailing there are some examples. Try a search on 'ISAF protest video evidence'

John
We had video recording in the RG65 South-american Championship some weeks ago - but using it as evidence on protest hearings was banned beforehand, because it was not shot for this purpose.

Rationale was this: camera guys were supposed to film the overall event, including skippers and in-between happenings - meaning you could not ensure there will be video for each incident, and if by chance there was video, it may be shot from whatever angle the camera-guy chose at that moment. This meant that any skipper could say "that angle does not show reality correctly", or "the camera-guy is helping the other skipper by not making shots when he is involved"... we wanted to avoid any such discussions, so we chose to stay with old-school witnesses only.

That said, if an organizing group chooses to have video as evidence, then I would advice to have video shot permanently at same angles covering all the racing area - and a means to quickly extract the correct shots because skippers will demand video for each and every incident.

Hope this helps.
Thomas.
May 19, 2017, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikiwi
I've used these for years.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/becks...oVWBoCRdjw_wcB
May 19, 2017, 09:33 PM
Thankyou. They are soft sail bags from mxcomponents (fold right open). I know a lot of people say the soft cases are not protective enough (hard cases were just too difficult to handle), but we have managed to make them really rigid with corflute front and back. They currently have a little pocket for the bottom of the mast, and velcro at the top which goes over the sail. Thanks
May 19, 2017, 09:48 PM
The big problem with soft sail bags is what happens when you put wet sails inside. The sails stick together and get destroyed. Lose one set of sails that way and you will never use a soft sail bag again.
May 20, 2017, 05:53 AM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12

Rig box mast clips

Here they are on an 11mm mast. They are quite strong and don't need the rubber band for normal use. I'm installing them just for during shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191799654347...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
May 20, 2017, 07:29 AM
When you don't have any money this is what l came up with.

And l decided to come up with a new product, Sail Clips

And everything is home made
May 20, 2017, 08:41 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibldrc
Here they are on an 11mm mast. They are quite strong and don't need the rubber band for normal use. I'm installing them just for during shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191799654347...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Those look like the hot ticket Steve, but shipping to Canada for a $5 item is a killer:
Quote:
Shipping: $45.95 Expedited International Shipping
I found some on Amazon.ca for $10 with free shipping.

Thanks for the great tip!
May 20, 2017, 10:30 AM
Well it's abundantly clear, boat design was not a major factor in this year's World's. Almost all can all be tuned to similar speed. Reading the shifts and staying out of trouble/making the fewest mistakes was what mattered most.

Congratulations Zvonko!
May 20, 2017, 10:33 AM

IOM Worlds

Really enjoyed the coverage from the worlds.
congratz to all.
Mike

May 20, 2017, 11:37 AM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy101
Those look like the hot ticket Steve, but shipping to Canada for a $5 item is a killer:

Thanks for the great tip!
Awesome, glad you were able to find a seller that works for you.

Yep, that Int'l shipping quote sounds like one of those prices where they're saying "I really don't want to do that, so if you're gonna make me do it, it's really gonna cost you"....