IOM General Discussion - Page 329 - RC Groups
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 13, 2013, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Need a little help identifying this design if anyone can help. Don't think its a Eureka! compared to others I have seen. Could be wrong but.

SJ
Its a Mirage. First boat by Byerley. Paul Jones sailed one here in the UK for a bit.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike
Yeah but Tug, how many Canadian boats get into Australia?
My bet would be none...
Oct 13, 2013, 10:10 AM
It would be great to confirm what ever it is with some kind of photos. I have been on the Vela IOM site which has been very helpful but the Mirage is the only one of Jeffs designs without a supporting photo. Anyone know of a "known" boat with photos? The Nordic site seems to be down for what ever reason.

Thanks for all your input and I think we are on the right track. It is clearly an AUS boat and I don't think it came out of CAN.
Oct 13, 2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
Just getting under way in Israel

Results so far.

http://iomworlds2013.nomadic.nl/.

Here are some photos
https://plus.google.com/photos/11670...49793360666145

John
Don't look like we gonna get no vid guys.
Last edited by The Tug; Oct 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Oct 13, 2013, 10:30 AM
Quote:
My bet would be none...
Well there's a whole bunch of Aussie boats in Barbados so who knows.It shure looks like the KF2 we have here but i have not seen it in some time and cannot remember every detail,Tony who says the same actually owned one.
Oct 13, 2013, 11:16 AM
Tug my comment was not intended to be negative in any way. I am sure you and Tony have it right, just want to confirm before I paste something in the hull and have it measured.

SJ
Oct 13, 2013, 11:20 AM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
It's great the race results are uploaded to the website on real time or close to it. It's beginning to look like Barbados in 2009 all over again with the CROs dominating. I'm sure Walsh and Bantock will have something to say about that. It's great to see my most of USA friends nearer to the front of the pack. I'm starting a Gary Boell Fan Club. Anyone want to join me?

Don't write off the hopes for video too soon. It's early days/hours. Great job Israel IOM Fleet for hosting the event. It's too bad the defending world champ and other top gus aren't there.
Oct 13, 2013, 11:38 AM
According to the forecast the winds are lite,best i see for the next few days is all of 8mph.
Oct 13, 2013, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkyPig
It's great the race results are uploaded to the website on real time or close to it. It's beginning to look like Barbados in 2009 all over again with the CROs dominating. I'm sure Walsh and Bantock will have something to say about that. It's great to see my most of USA friends nearer to the front of the pack. I'm starting a Gary Boell Fan Club. Anyone want to join me?

Don't write off the hopes for video too soon. It's early days/hours. Great job Israel IOM Fleet for hosting the event. It's too bad the defending world champ and other top gus aren't there.
Yeah, Gary is a good guy and always a joy to sail with
Oct 13, 2013, 11:57 AM
Been following on Twitter. Updates within moments of each heat. Pretty cool to see. I think the next step is live video feed from the race course so we can watch on line.

Tug, KFII is nearly a dead nuts match except the cockpit shear is wrong. Too narrow near midships to be a match. It really looks like an early Jeff Byerley design. No photos of a Mirage anywhere around?
Oct 13, 2013, 12:18 PM
Jerry Warren Brower is also a good guy and our favorite son from the Pacific Northwest. Looks like he had trouble the first day ending in 33rd position. He is sailing Brad Gibson"s World Championship Widget "Mr Brightsides". He has had a Fraktal for a while but I believe it is still in the box on his couch.
Oct 13, 2013, 01:26 PM
news is a number of skippers Rob Walsh, Marco and Huub had picked up plastic bags in the water causing problems.
Oct 13, 2013, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Need a little help identifying this design if anyone can help. Don't think its a Eureka! compared to others I have seen. Could be wrong but.

SJ
That's a mirage, predecessor of the rage?
Oct 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
Well Mr. Byerley has weighed in and he says its a Rage. Really nice of him to take the time to respond to this really low level question on an older boat like this.

Thanks as well to all those who contributed to the search, especially Basildog and Max67 who came out Raging, and now the boat has its proper origins and is soon to be on its way to its new owner with a clear history. Here are some more defining photos that point to the Rage.

We now resume our regularly scheduled coverage of the IOM Worlds.

SJ
Last edited by SailingJunkie; Oct 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Oct 14, 2013, 04:33 AM

D2 Changes

We have made another change to D2 bow to see if it will help lift the bow as the bow seems to dig in a little soon
The result is good with a definite performance gain down wind and no loss of speed in all other conditions!
To our surprise there has been a big gain with up wind performance with the boat pointing a lot better. What actually happens is the bow has now got a flat area on the side so now the bow actually helps to stop lea way .This certainly was not planed but a bai product of experimenting!
The flat bottom of the bow section lifts the boat on a reach and promotes surfing and the flat straight aft sections of this boat does not hold it back
The boat has not changed its tracking ability as it self steers to the wind changes so frees up your concentration on the boat so you can observe the wind patterns on the water!
We have done a lot of two boat testing against the other D2 without the bow change
We had a dismal performance at last weekends North Island Champs however boat speed was good and the result was of poor sailing ability eg across start line early and hitting marks and the odd boat!
We will have some vido clips of this regatta soon
North island champs photos

Cheers
Neil
Last edited by ndeverell; Oct 14, 2013 at 04:44 AM.