IOM General Discussion - Page 326 - RC Groups
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 01, 2013, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Not sure if he was talking about a sailmaker's logo ---- or ---- some other logo or decoration ????? I don't think ISAF 20 covers anything "other" than a sailmaker's mark. Maybe I'm too liberal in that opinion - I could be wrong?
Hi Dick,

No it wasn't a question about sail makers logo it was about advertising on sails ie company logo.
Any help would be great
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2013, 01:40 AM

IOM 11.1 Mast heel

I found this item at my local Bunnings store at $2.40 for a four pack. All it needed was the thread shaved with a knife and a bit of a file to fit inside an 11.1 mm mast section.
Oct 02, 2013, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Not sure if he was talking about a sailmaker's logo ---- or ---- some other logo or decoration ????? I don't think ISAF 20 covers anything "other" than a sailmaker's mark. Maybe I'm too liberal in that opinion - I could be wrong?
Code 20 is "Advertising Code", not just sailmaker logo....I think.
Oct 02, 2013, 04:26 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Has anybody tried a gnav type vang on an IOM?
Oct 02, 2013, 06:28 PM
Why? Not legal.
Oct 02, 2013, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design
Ddesign what is a gnav vang?
Oct 02, 2013, 07:38 PM
Definition - "Advertising"
a name, logo, slogan, description, depiction, a variation or distortion thereof, or any other form of communication that promotes an organization, person, product, service, brand or idea so as to call attention to it or to persuade persons or organizations to buy, approve or otherwise support it

From Code 20 FAQ's:
The right to display competitor advertising is automatically granted to competitors in ISAF Classes and ISAF Recognized Rating Systems unless restricted by the class rules

It would seem that logos of company for whom you work would fall under these rulings. while general artwork decorations would not be considered advertising. Not sure what interpretation would be for cartoons, etc.

In big boats, my mainsail advertising for Michelob (beer) and Fujitsu (communications) were considered advertising even though I didn't work for them - but did receive compensation for the sail graphics. Meanwhile, my image of "Alfred E. Neuman" (Mad Magazine) and his commentary "What, Me Worry" - never received an answer when ISAF was asked. [Circa - late 1980's]
Last edited by Dick L.; Oct 02, 2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added thought
Oct 02, 2013, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike
Would a large logo on the sails get passed
Ok I can answer my own question.

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documen...vertisingCode-[12007].pdf

Page 5 at the bottom of Table 1 states RC Boat Boom Backstay and sails NO ADVERTISING. Hull 40% of hull length.
Oct 02, 2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design
It is probably legal as long as it works only in tension (pull out along the boom to tension) - must not work in compression.

John
Oct 02, 2013, 11:15 PM
I believe the nature of the system is to work on top of the boom in compression. That's not legal.
Oct 03, 2013, 12:40 PM

Gnav Vang

F.4.3 MAINSAIL BOOM FITTINGS
(a) MANDATORY
(1) Mainsail clew fitting(s).
(2) Mainsail boom sheet fitting(s).
(3) Kicking strap fitting.

Please before you thought about racing with a Gnav Vang (or any unlisted item) you would need to remeasure your IOM with your club measurer.
If your club measurer is unsure he will ask the National Body.
If the National body is unsure they will ask for a Class Rule Interpretation.
Thanks
Graham
NZL 1
Oct 05, 2013, 08:40 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
whats this?
Oct 06, 2013, 08:55 AM
Flying without a licence
An Eurgle clone
Oct 08, 2013, 03:11 AM
A video " just for fun", how can a Moster IOM beat a Britpop IOM http://pitxiniom.tumblr.com/post/634...des-britpop-un
It's humour only nothing serious ;-)
Oct 09, 2013, 11:29 AM

2013 IOM WCR info

Anyone out in the cyberworld have any advise as to - who to follow with twitter or a website to visit for worlds race results and information?. I don't think anything like 2011 West Kirby with Sarah Conner reporting is planned - maby I'm wrong?....

thanks
sully US 62