View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 04, 2012, 07:28 PM
John - In my private capacity
HI All,

San Diego is listing a two day/two class fall regatta on their website. ODOMs on Saturday Nov 17, and IOM on Sunday Nov 18.

The entry form is on their web site at

http://www.sandiegoargonauts.com/doc...202012-PDF.pdf

Two of us are planning to drive in from Yuma for the weekend to take part in both classes.

Who else is planning to attend. . . please get in your entry before the deadline.

John
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
HI All,

San Diego is listing a two day/two class fall regatta on their website. ODOMs on Saturday Nov 17, and IOM on Sunday Nov 18.

The entry form is on their web site at

http://www.sandiegoargonauts.com/doc...202012-PDF.pdf

Two of us are planning to drive in from Yuma for the weekend to take part in both classes.

Who else is planning to attend. . . please get in your entry before the deadline.

John
Hi John
I hope to be there to get my boat and new No 1 Rig measured and registered. The sails should arrive from NZ this week.. but likely am not ready to race Sunday.. Am looking forward to meeting you and your friend, and perhaps getting some tuning tips.... I believe we had 6 or 7 IOM's in the Points Race here in San Diego last Saturday.. so I hope there may be more locals showing up for this too Event Sunday the 18th too. Regards JimS
Nov 05, 2012, 03:46 PM
Flying without a licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by basildog View Post
FWAL,

You mention that you are making the transom flatter. If you are referring to rocker Brad Gibson made some interesting comments on, if I remember correctly his Ska design. There is an interesting story in seattleradiosailing.org He had plenty of rocker forward to keep the bow up and flat aft sections to assist downwind speed. Apparently it didn't work. Over several months and increasing weight (micro-ballons) he moved the rocker back to the middle of the boat and is now happy with the performance gains.

You might like to check it out. Interesting stuff when you're at the design stage. There is also an interesting article on chines at the same site.

Peace to all
Baz.
Hi Baz
I haven't seen the BG article so thanks for the heads up. I have to admit that my VMG design did suffer a bit from a little too much rocker so she trims bows down in anything above 10mph downwind.
Here's a photo of my flatter transom design under construction and a couple more photo's of the initial planking can be found here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=340972
Cheers
Mark
Nov 06, 2012, 02:03 AM

New boat build

Also have a little project on the go.

165mm max beam. 156mm on waterline.
57mm rocker with max depth at about 46mm from bow.
Prismatic coefecient of 0.6

Lots of fullness in the ends, but still a narrow boat with the deck being 145mm at the shroud base
Nov 06, 2012, 03:09 AM
Closed Account
It looks like another 'Britpop' look alike. Is there anything out there that is abit more adventurous or different?

Good luck with it though.

JT
Nov 06, 2012, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
It looks like another 'Britpop' look alike. Is there anything out there that is abit more adventurous or different?

JT
Yup, they are about the same length ;>)
I have never seen a Britpop in the flesh, so not sure if they are similar. It’s much narrower than the quoted Britpop WL (168 mm)

It’s got its buoyancy pushed as forward as possible, without looking like a tug boat, but above the chine comes in towards the deck quite quickly, so I guess the deck outline is much narrower (and waterline wider) than a Britpop, especially in the first third.

It’s hard not to be accused of looking like a Britpop, the moment you have a chine, but my boats were chined well before the Britpop was built ... but after the Lintel ;>)

I have an idea/theory that buoyancy above the waterline in the front third of the boat does not make much difference to boats susceptibility to nosediving and that flared/moustached bows might slow you down by pushing more water out of the way when you slice through a wave upwind. Hence this boat has a very fine entry above the waterline, but have not gone the full wave piercing route as this requires a fine entry below the waterline as well. I would also hate to collide with a boat with a wave piercing bow

I built the Cobra that Simon sails in the UK and learnt a lot of lessons from that. This is quite a departure, so hope the damn thing goes well. It at least floats on its lines in the bath

I have a radical plan for a boat called the "Hammerhead" It’s basically a scow, with the bow looking like an inverted T. 150mm max width, with the bow being 80mm wide just above the waterline. the "T" shaped bow makes this look very different to the current large scow shaped keelboats.

It could be very special upwind in a breeze, but there is a large wetted surface penalty to carry in light winds.
I'll build it at some point just to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe the slightly shorter waterline length and increased wetted surface will not impact performance too much, or at least can be offset by increased performance upwind.
Nov 06, 2012, 07:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:

JT
Come On John your Sqiggle looks like a britpop from a distance
Nov 06, 2012, 08:20 AM
Closed Account
But Mike,
The Squiggle was out 3 years before the Britpop was thought of... All Im saying is that there is an increase of Britpop look alikes. It happened years ago with the TS2

Do you agree??
Nov 06, 2012, 08:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
But Mike,
The Squiggle was out 3 years before the Britpop was thought of... All Im saying is that there is an increase of Britpop look alikes. It happened years ago with the TS2

Do you agree??
Yes I know that the squiggle was out before the BP just having a lend of you mate.
We know have our first BP in our club and 2 chienz neither look a like up close, Craig's boat looks more like a V8 with the soft chine.

Craig has Simon ordered on of these yet? Good look boat
Nov 06, 2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Yes I know that the squiggle was out before the BP just having a lend of you mate.
We know have our first BP in our club and 2 chienz neither look a like up close, Craig's boat looks more like a V8 with the soft chine.

Craig has Simon ordered on of these yet? Good look boat
Thanks Mike,

No ... It's a one-off at the moment. If it goes well, I might consider making moulds etc. Just getting tired of sanding and fairing

Looking at V8 pics, I would agree, but my transom is a bit flatter with a harder chine in back half. V8 looks to have a very rounded chine.

The Croation (Zvonko) boat looks a bit different, but only because they cut so much of the aft deck away. With more deck its another BP variant as well

John's "Shiraz" looks a bit Brit Poppish

It's going to be hard to design anything for a while that would not be considered a BP variant. The moment you go the same sort of width and use chines it will be considered a BP clone. I prefer to think of mine as a very skinny Lintel, because thats where the original breakthough was made.
Nov 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
Flying without a licence
Hi Craig
I'm really liking your new design, shame it wont be as fast as mine Can't wait to see your Scow either. I sketched one out last April but haven't had the time to do anything serious with it. However, a scow bow and a sinking freeboard like a surfboard rail is a very tempting project
fair winds
Mark
Nov 06, 2012, 09:43 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
John's "Shiraz" looks a bit Brit Poppish
I have to say I (LMAO) when I read the above. Nice one Craig!

The picture displayed on my website was only the prototype, to my knowledge there has been no release of anyother updated picture of my IOM yet. Shiraz is set to be launched at the (UK) MYA Traders Fair in Bournville later this month.

There is no way my IOM looks anything like a BP. It has a chine but thats where the similarities end.

JT
Nov 06, 2012, 11:48 AM
Flying without a licence
It's none of my business really but to me the Shiraz prototype looks more like a Cobra than a Cobra does to a BP
Nov 06, 2012, 12:16 PM
John - In my private capacity
You should be receiving your ballot for the 2012 IOM AGM motions from your country's Class Secretary.

Over the last few annual ballots, voting has been abysmal in many countries around the world. I write this to encourage you to vote on the 2012 ballot questions.

There are eight motions on the 2012 ballot. Four are essentially administrative in nature. Two of the motions deal with electronics and help position the class for the future. Two of the motions have significant impact on the rules and the potential to affect boat performance and need careful study before you decide how to vote. There has been some discussion on the more contentious items on the International IOM forum and I urge you to take a few minutes to read the threads.

http://www.iomclass.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=105

It is not my place to tell you how to vote on them, but it is really important that you do vote.

6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 7.1 in essence are administrative housekeeping

6.4 recognizes that the direction for RC equipment (model aircraft based) is to contain ever more telemetry and provides a way to allow us to use such equipment by restricting what we are allowed to use as opposed to banning the equipment.

6.5 recognizes the existence and use of voltage regulators as built into an RMG winch for example, or as a standalone device. This is important with the increased use of higher voltage battery packs such as Lipo.

6.6 makes single panel sails legal and also defines the methods of broad seaming and of heat and pressure to create airfoil shape. From an IOM governance perspective, this motion is unnecessary as the old technical ruling against it expired, and the recent technical interpretation still stands allowing it within the current rules. The main issue is that this motion introduces the concept of a method into the rules (use of force and heat). We don’t have a method in the rules on how to prebend masts for example. Vote Yes if you want to introduce ‘method’ into the rules. Vote No, if you think the proposed change is unnecessary.

6.7 is to allow pigmented resins in fiberglass layups. Vote Yes for this item if you think it will lead to less expensive hulls. Vote No for this item if you think it may hurt the existing boats by giving a performance advantage to new hulls as the potential weigh savings (by eliminating primer and paint) are placed as additional corrector weights low in the hull.

John
Nov 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
Closed Account
FWAL yes your absolutely right!!

During this years (UK) IOM Championship I was absolutely shocked and suprised to see the 'Cobra' designed IOM sailed by Simon Clarke. It was the first time I had come across its existance.

Not only that but Mick Chamberlain's yacht (Sail No 277) was another version of the same concept. At the time I couldnt believe it!!!

So after the IOM Championships, guess what I did?

I changed the concept of my design by altering the deck shape and positioning of the radio equipment. All in an effort to be different from everyone else..

Hopefully people will see this at the MYA Traders Fair..

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com
Last edited by 340582; Nov 06, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply