View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 22, 2012, 04:43 PM
jims123, you do not need more than 180* on a HS7950 arm servo to get enough travel. My arm is less than 3 inches and I can adjust my endpoints out at each end to get around 120* which is enough for two IOMs that I have them in. It has a 1:2 block on the arm end. No need to convert it to a drum.

On the other hand, RMGs are pretty foolproof (at twice the price). You will be happy with their performance, and their ability to use 2S lipos and regulate voltage to the RX and rudder servo.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2012, 07:17 PM
Quote:

Hey
I'm very happy with how it went.. .. it didn't sink.... or leak a drop for that matter .. sailed about an hour.. plan to get a new A rig on order cause I doubt a credit card edge alone can take these creases out of the main..
Cool.

Not sure I have ever seen that much wind at that place. Glad it all worked.

Like Hew said, the 7950 will work fine. But I'm sticking with the RMG.

Ted
Oct 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack
Cool.

Not sure I have ever seen that much wind at that place. Glad it all worked.

Like Hew said, the 7950 will work fine. But I'm sticking with the RMG.

Ted
Ted., I too am glad there's a simple alternative and that the HS7950 with arm works well..

I have a couple questions in these attached Photos..if anyone could give me some advice in reply I'd appreciate it.. Thanks IN Advance
Oct 22, 2012, 10:36 PM
Try http://midwestmodelyachting.com for a rudder arm. The third pic is probably the downhaul for the main. It may need to be longer to reach, but the fitting it is on is adjustable fore and aft on the boom. It should run forward to the gooseneck, through some sort of turning hole and tie to the tack of the main.
Oct 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
Jim Try these from Sailsetc
From the looks you may need to extend both lines
Oct 23, 2012, 02:38 AM
OlivierFRA100
Picture 2=> For Rig 1, you don't use eyelets, for rig 2, 1 eyelet, for rig 3, 2 eyelets.
Oct 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA3700
Picture 2=> For Rig 1, you don't use eyelets, for rig 2, 1 eyelet, for rig 3, 2 eyelets.
rgr, understood.. ..and I'm assuming the A Rig is the same as Rig 1

Thanks Mike for the .pdf tips too I see that little strap on the .pdf drawings too, but it appears to be redundant to the downhaul adjustment line that's already in place on the Main, so I need to ask one of the guys how to rig it later at the pond I guess. Right now it's just dangling loose at one end..
Last edited by jims123; Oct 23, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Oct 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
OlivierFRA100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
rgr, understood.. ..and I'm assuming the A Rig is the same as Rig 1
In IOM class rules, there are only rigs 1/2/3.

Marblehead use rigs A/B/C/C1... ;-)
Oct 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew565
Try http://midwestmodelyachting.com for a rudder arm. The third pic is probably the downhaul for the main. It may need to be longer to reach, but the fitting it is on is adjustable fore and aft on the boom. It should run forward to the gooseneck, through some sort of turning hole and tie to the tack of the main.
hew565,
I'm sorry I'm confused and failed to show you the downhaul earlier, but since this downhaul was already in place on the main I used it.. so this short little stubby line still is a mystery.. I plan to just remove it.. Regards, JimS
Oct 23, 2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
In IOM class rules, there are only rigs 1/2/3.

Marblehead use rigs A/B/C/C1... ;-)
I'm afraid I've got a lot of catching up to do on the IOM rules. could probably take me a lifetime so I better get started. Thanks, JimS
Oct 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
OlivierFRA100
Quote:
hew565,
I'm sorry I'm confused and failed to show you the downhaul earlier, but since this downhaul was already in place on the main I used it.. so this short little stubby line still is a mystery.. I plan to just remove it.. Regards, JimS
You have a downhaul for luff line (in place on your picture) and a downhaul for the sail itself, also called cunningham. It is used to adjust tension of the sail. I believe this is it.
Oct 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
You have a downhaul for luff line (in place on your picture) and a downhaul for the sail itself, also called cunningham. It is used to adjust tension of the sail. I believe this is it.
Ahahh, now I understand .. I bet you are right.. this particular line is too short but I understand where the cunningham is supposed to be connected to the tack of the main now.. and I'll look more closely at the .pdf's Mike sent too.. Thank You very much FRA..
Oct 23, 2012, 10:59 AM

Counterweight ?

I noticed that the oval lead counterweight is missing on the pointy end of my Jib's Boom.. is this a required item? what weight do I need to buy for a No1 Rig?

I notice that they come in several different weights at item 105 and below here:

http://midwestmodelyachting.com/BoomHardware.asp
Oct 23, 2012, 11:26 AM

New Sails?

I need a new No 1 main sail.. can I assume that new sails will fit properly in my mast/ boom and rigging? should I get the a new Jib at the same time? Who'd recommend a good IOM sail maker with a good track-record?
Oct 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
I need a new No 1 main sail.. can I assume that new sails will fit properly in my mast/ boom and rigging? should I get the a new Jib at the same time? Who'd recommend a good IOM sail maker with a good track-record?
Do they sail IOMs down in San Diego? We sail them up in the L.A. area once a month. You may find someone local. My IOM has Brad Gibson sails and I have a set of Black Magic sails. Have no idea about the fit, great question because I am ready for a new set myself.

Quick Reply