View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 18, 2012, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Where was the event? And who was sailing the the Shadow?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2012, 06:27 PM
Flying without a licence
Hi Mike
The event was held at the Woodsprings Club, Portishead, near Bristol. The very fast shadow was being sailed by a chap who has a Proto in a box waiting to be sent to Aus he also has a wicked sense of humour and I think you know him
Mar 18, 2012, 07:59 PM

Britpop from Viniaxa yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug
My question was has anyone seen a Britpop from the other builders,it's not an insinuation of one being better or worse i'm shure they all have built many boats before a Britpop but i'm shure lots of us would like to see one out of curiosity.The Dallas blowout is on and have not seen any scores yet but spoke to Tony G last nite and he's leading the march with 7 bullets out of 12 races so far,winds started in No1 suit and ended the day in No3.Think he said Brig North was second and Bob Dunlap 3rd,Mackie 4th. Congrats to Bob Dunlap for the effort he's one hell of a nice guy and started at the bottom of the pack and loves IOM's.
Hi Tug
Just got my britpop from Pepe about 3 weeks ago... Been busy with work and awaiting for parts for the boat to arrive so have not hit the water as yet.
Having sailed and owned an Area, 2 boats from mirage yachts and 2 pikantos from masterboats and sailsetc, so I have seen the best and worst of finishings. I must say the britpop built by Pepe ranks right up there with well built and finished boats.

The main difference I gather from the other 2 builders is with Pepe's boat, Pepe runs a line off the hull attaching to the jib boom, like the V7 and sailsetc pikanto.
Not sure what deck fittings for the attachment of the turnbuckles but Pepe have a wire instead of a sailsetc fitting.

Overall am very pleased with the boat.... Can't wait to get the boat on the water!!!!
Mar 19, 2012, 01:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAL
Hi Mike
The event was held at the Woodsprings Club, Portishead, near Bristol. The very fast shadow was being sailed by a chap who has a Proto in a box waiting to be sent to Aus he also has a wicked sense of humour and I think you know him
Are there any results we can see, I also noticed Barry's Pink Psycho and I think the shadow was 54
Mar 19, 2012, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
Just found this on the NZ website the results for their Nationals,
Chinez, V8, Chinez
http://radioyachtingnz.wordpress.com...iom-nationals/
Mar 19, 2012, 05:29 AM
Flying without a licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike
Are there any results we can see, I also noticed Barry's Pink Psycho and I think the shadow was 54
Hi Mike
The final results haven't been published yet but Barry Chisam did win. The Shadow's sail number was 54 so I hope you understand that we were teasing you.
Mar 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike
Just found this on the NZ website the results for their Nationals,
Chinez, V8, Chinez
http://radioyachtingnz.wordpress.com...iom-nationals/
Yea some pics there of the new Drumbeat and the V8,theres chienz everywhere now.
Mar 21, 2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Yea some pics there of the new Drumbeat and the V8,theres chienz everywhere now.
no Chienz in the UK yet
Mar 22, 2012, 05:03 AM
What i'm saying is the Drumbeat 3 and V8 are Chined boats as well.The Cheinz that was at the worlds was in Fla for the nats and i sailed it for a bit it and is also a fast boat and balanced.There are chined boats coming out of the wood work everywhere now.The ones that i'm familiar with have the rigs and fin set back farther so the chine is only one piece in the equasion.Paul Goddard sailed a Drumbeat at the worlds but i dont recall it having a chined hull as this one in NZ so there must be an updated hull.Jeff is prob buisy supplying the AUS NZ buyers so the only one in the western world is the prototype.
Last edited by The Tug; Mar 22, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
Mar 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
k4s
k4s
Story goes that the Drunbeat3 was built using the altered mold for the Drumbeat sailed by Goddard at the worlds(which had no chines,
The Chienz prototype sailed in this regatta as well.Number 65.
3rd place boat,number 27 is the first Chienz in NZ and was bought over for its new owner by Bryerly for the event.
Mar 22, 2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
There are chined boats coming out of the wood work everywhere now.
Much in the same way wide skiff type hulls with cockpits appeared everywhere after Craig Smith's domination at the 1997 Worlds all those years ago. One design dominates and the rest follow........
Mar 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
Just because it has a chine doesn't mean it's fast. I think the key to the Britpop is that it's quick in all conditions: I've been told the Chinz and the Lintel struggle when the wind gets light.
Mar 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
What i'm saying is the Drumbeat 3 and V8 are Chined boats as well.The Cheinz that was at the worlds was in Fla for the nats and i sailed it for a bit it and is also a fast boat and balanced.There are chined boats coming out of the wood work everywhere now.The ones that i'm familiar with have the rigs and fin set back farther so the chine is only one piece in the equasion.Paul Goddard sailed a Drumbeat at the worlds but i dont recall it having a chined hull as this one in NZ so there must be an updated hull.Jeff is prob buisy supplying the AUS NZ buyers so the only one in the western world is the prototype.
There is a Cheinz in the Western World. Bill Langjahr from Anacortes, Washington State will be sailing it this weekend at the Seattle Model Yacht Club's opening regatta for 2012. It is not a prototype. We will be sailing in Lake Washington
Mar 23, 2012, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrgb
There is a Cheinz in the Western World. Bill Langjahr from Anacortes, Washington State will be sailing it this weekend at the Seattle Model Yacht Club's opening regatta for 2012. It is not a prototype. We will be sailing in Lake Washington
Good to know they are starting to come out from down under.
Mar 23, 2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
Just because it has a chine doesn't mean it's fast. I think the key to the Britpop is that it's quick in all conditions: I've been told the Chinz and the Lintel struggle when the wind gets light.
At the worlds the Cheinz did well in all conditions it was from top B to light A,any of them i don't think are as fast as a specialty light air boat in those conditions .Under 6 knots the lintel starts to loose it's feel but dont mess with one if it's blowing the keel on that boat is further back still that's why i feel keel rig placement is playing a bigger factor than the chine.It's all about the start in a big fleet as well.When the wind dropped you could clearly see the other designs coming right up where they were getting blown away in the earlier part of the regatta.Brit Pop certainly held it's own when it was light but they were racing against guys whom they had not seen in the better winds,you have to realize that those 3 musketeers are not exactly slow sailors on thier home turf either and you're gonna get a free ride.
Last edited by The Tug; Mar 23, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply