Jan 11, 2010, 01:10 PM
3DHS Junkie
Looking really really good --- how are you planning on doing battery swaps?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2010, 09:12 PM
I am not crazy about cutting hatches, I don't mind removing the wing to swap out batteries. Turnigy 5000 mah packs fit right in the spot where the tank would go so I am shooting to make a battery tray there, but I wont know for sure until I get more work done. I got the elevator hinged, will be working on the rudder and tailwheel next. I ordered some higher torque servo's for the elv./rudder. They are both pull/pull set ups. Nice that the hardware for the elevator is hidden in the fuse. There is a hatch at the rear which I may make my air exit for cooling. I want to get everything finished so all that will be left is to mount the motor and esc., I don't have the cash yet anyway. Plus I will know the approx. weight so I can figure out which hacker outrunner I want to use!
Last edited by mpope1; Jan 12, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
Jan 11, 2010, 10:12 PM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
looking great mike! wish i could come to AEF to see it in person, and hang out with you guys.
Jan 12, 2010, 08:30 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Mike,

I'll be anxious to see this bird in the air!

What is your impression of the ESM retracts? I put myself on the waiting list for the rotating ones. $139.00 is a crazy price for the retracts, struts, wheels, tank, & hardware.

I haven't read the best reviews about the ESM retracts but supposedly the newer ones are better....
Jan 12, 2010, 10:18 PM
I heard they have some issues, but mine seem to be working fine. One thing I did notice is there is only one bolt to tighten up the strut in the retract. My robarts had two, and I never had any problems with the robarts rotating on landings. I have to take a pair of vice grips and clamp it down to get the bolt tight enough so they don't rotate in the retracts. I think they will be good, I hopefully will have it on its legs tomorrow. I screwed the wheel liners in just in case I want to switch out the retracts at a later time. The wheels are really nice, probably cost $40 for the 3 wheels if you bought them without the package. I will put the doors on last so I can get them lined up nice, I dry fit them and they lay perfect when the gear is retracted. Here are a couple of more pix, I will get some tomorrow after I get it up on its wheels.
Last edited by mpope1; Jan 12, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Jan 12, 2010, 10:48 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Like the hidden elevator linkage...

Is the tail wheel retractable?
Jan 12, 2010, 10:59 PM
No, I was gonna do all those mods, but I think I am gonna set it up stock. Thats what I did with my H9 miss america, then I added the prop and retractable tailwheel afterwards! The tailwheel on a mustang retracts foward, so its a little more work then you would think!
Jan 13, 2010, 07:56 PM
Got the rudder and tailwheel finished today, not crazy how the tailwheel is set up but it gets the job done. I will probably add a retractable t.w. later on anyway.
Jan 13, 2010, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope1 View Post
One thing I did notice is there is only one bolt to tighten up the strut in the retract. My robarts had two, and I never had any problems with the robarts rotating on landings. I have to take a pair of vice grips and clamp it down to get the bolt tight .

Mike,
You can always drill and tap another set screw.

Victor
Jan 16, 2010, 12:28 AM
Vic I am able to get it tightend where I dont think the struts will fall off when I unretract the gear, though that would get the adrenaline flowing. I completed the wing, gear doors are done. Elevator and rudder are now active. Mounted the hatch in the rear. Got a esc, now have to pay a visit to Mike Donovan at hacker to get the right A60 motor. The only things left are the spinner(ouch) and mounting the cowl. I also have to get the air tank and valve squared away but thats no big deal!
Last edited by mpope1; Jan 16, 2010 at 07:54 AM.
Jan 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
Nice Mike!

Matt
Jan 16, 2010, 08:00 PM
Nice
Jan 16, 2010, 11:08 PM
Started to mount the electronics and air system. I have a couple of ideas on battery placement but won't know for sure until I get the motor mounted(hopefully monday).
Jan 18, 2010, 09:21 PM
Got the plane just about done today, just waiting on a Dave Brown 4 1/2" spinner from tower hobbies. Plane weighs just over 15 lbs., gonna be a heavy weight. I am running a hacker A60-16M and CC HV-85 on 10s. I am planning on using a 18x12 apc, dont have one on hand so I will have to pick one up. I made a battery tray where the gas tank would go and it balances per the manual which seems to be right. I will post some pix later!
Jan 18, 2010, 10:12 PM
Pattern Abuser
Mike if you like, I have an 18X12 prop handy you can have. I tried it on the Funtana but I didn't like the high pitch for my pattern stuff. I went with an 19X8.

Cheers,

Jim