Dec 08, 2009, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Resources for a small quadcopter

I want to start my own quad project. The target weight is 200 grams or less.

Initial component list:
4X 10g outrunners from HobbyCity. Reported to provide 124g pull with 5030 props (should be sufficient?)

12A ESC (9g each). there are probably too much, but I did not find other ESC that will work on 2S and save much weight (other suggestions?)

2S 900mA 15C or 20C battery.

Control board and airframe would be self made.

Apparently CW/CCW prop pairs in the required size are hard to find. Any size between 5X2 to 7X3 would be good to experiment with. I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
-- Itai
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2010, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
No replies so far, but I would like to awaken this thread.

I got the motors, controllers and propellers. I found only CCW props this size (GWS 5X3) and I have an Idea to check. If two opposite props are tilted (to the left when looking from the center hub) their combined yaw will counter-effect the yaw caused by the rotation of the 4 props. I build a test frame to get an estimate of the forces and I think its going to work.

The ESC are giving me hard time. I get unexpected cut-offs on single motors (at ~7.7V). I read some reports that these ESC may identify fully charged 2S lipos as 3S.
Jan 20, 2010, 12:23 AM
This sounds like an interesting Thread I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. Dumb question (I dont know to much about quadrocopters) is a PWB board(or something similar) Absolutely necessary to fly one of these? Would there be a way to use just a receiver to power one?
Jan 20, 2010, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itai n
No replies so far, but I would like to awaken this thread.

I got the motors, controllers and propellers. I found only CCW props this size (GWS 5X3) and I have an Idea to check. If two opposite props are tilted (to the left when looking from the center hub) their combined yaw will counter-effect the yaw caused by the rotation of the 4 props. I build a test frame to get an estimate of the forces and I think its going to work.

The ESC are giving me hard time. I get unexpected cut-offs on single motors (at ~7.7V). I read some reports that these ESC may identify fully charged 2S lipos as 3S.
There are CW and CW 5x3 gws props around. I have a few with me. Try himodel or hobbycity. They should have them.
Jan 20, 2010, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Fixalot
is a PWB board(or something similar) Absolutely necessary to fly one of these? Would there be a way to use just a receiver to power one?
I think it's not Absolutely necessary. What's necessary is gyro feedback on all three axes. A central control board is just one way to achieve this (and possibly much more).
Jan 20, 2010, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by altronpower
There are CW and CW 5x3 gws props around. I have a few with me. Try himodel or hobbycity. They should have them.
Thanks, AFAIK GWS have only CW props only in their 3-blade series (please let me know if I'm wrong). Hobbycity web site lists only larger sizes.
I already got some 5030*3 on order from Radical RC. I expect the performance should be a little worse than the 2-blade 5030s but I will know better after receiving them.
Jan 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Thanks, AFAIK GWS have only CW props only in their 3-blade series (please let me know if I'm wrong). Hobbycity web site lists only larger sizes.
I already got some 5030*3 on order from Radical RC. I expect the performance should be a little worse than the 2-blade 5030s but I will know better after receiving them.
I am absolutely sure that GWS produces both 5x3 CW and CCW props. From my test results, 3 bladed props are significantly less efficient than 2 bladed designs.
Jan 20, 2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Control board and airframe would be self made.
How would you make your own control board? The main reason I havn't seriously considered building a quad is that the control boards are so expensive. If I could find a schematic or something and make a pcb and solder it myself I probably would.
Jan 20, 2010, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
How would you make your own control board? The main reason I havn't seriously considered building a quad is that the control boards are so expensive. If I could find a schematic or something and make a pcb and solder it myself I probably would.
How much is "so expensive"? I suggest that you look at William's blog to get some estimates for DIY control board. He's using very expensive gyros, Cheaper gyros would probably work too but have some disadvantages. Also it's possible to use cheap brushless speed controllers converted to I2C, or I2C to PPM converters.
Jan 21, 2010, 01:19 AM
I was looking at the boards that were $230. At least thats what I think I was looking at. In your opinion, how much would it cost to build a quad, if the frame and pwb were self made-Nothing fancy, but nothing cheap?

Like I said, I know almost nothing about the electronics of Quads, but if its cheap enough, I would seriously consider building one in the near future.
Jan 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I was looking at the boards that were $230. At least thats what I think I was looking at. In your opinion, how much would it cost to build a quad, if the frame and pwb were self made-Nothing fancy, but nothing cheap?

Like I said, I know almost nothing about the electronics of Quads, but if its cheap enough, I would seriously consider building one in the near future.
$230 for a working board Is not that much. I think building a first prototype cost me more than that, and I still no not know how it's going to perform.

Also I expect to learn from it, so the next oard will me better (and possibly even cheaper).
Mar 25, 2010, 01:07 AM
I realize this is an old thread but it has a little bit of info pertaining to a quad-copter I'm designing, and as for a custom made control board costing $230 that's a bit over kill, I'm making one using a micro-controller, 3-axis accelerometer, single axis yaw gyro and it will by able to have a GPS and altimeter system included and so far I have only invested about $60 or $70us in it, adding a gps and altimeter would probly push it closer to that $230 dollar mark but thats at a later time and date.
Mar 25, 2010, 10:40 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi,
Check out Kapteinkuk's inexpensive build: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1143569
This is lots of info on quads and tricopters here that might help you as well: Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim

Quick Reply