This thread is privately moderated by dag214, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 08, 2011, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Very cool picture, Thanks!

I travel out there about 4 times a year, but never seem to have time to see anything cool. I will have to see the carrier though.

Thanks, DAG
It'll be worth it, even if just for this project. There are barriers around a few things for some reason, but for the most part, it seems that you can get really up close and personal with the planes. I don't think they have problems with you touching them, poking your head in the intakes, etc. At least, nobody came up to me when I was doing it to shoo me away!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2011, 07:25 AM
Quote:
and flew on the wing
don't they all?

the part I enjoy most about your builds is seeing the CAD photos and renderings. You are a master with 3DS Max!

I'm curious here - you mentioned in the -36 thread that you frequenty do your modeling on the road in the hotels. What kind of hardware are you using to model with?
Mar 08, 2011, 07:34 AM
Even a brick will fly given enough power. Anything will get off the ground with thrust-to-weight ratios greater than 1:1, which are not uncommon at all in contemporary model aircraft. Many fly models by relying on brute power which is not satisfying to those seeking scale-like flight performance.

I think the expression "on the wing" is saying that the plane relies on having enough thrust to drive the wing well enough to generate adequate lift and fly with scale-like performance and maneuvering. If I understand Dag's comments, "enough" is somewhere in the 0.25:1 to 0.5:1 range.
Mar 08, 2011, 09:23 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
don't they all?

the part I enjoy most about your builds is seeing the CAD photos and renderings. You are a master with 3DS Max!

I'm curious here - you mentioned in the -36 thread that you frequenty do your modeling on the road in the hotels. What kind of hardware are you using to model with?
I just 3Ds max on my laptop. It is a bit slower than my Hal 9000, but works good.

And flying on the wing is a vintage concept now days, many have huge over power power systems that drag the plane through the air so fast it looks silly.'

Thanks!
Dag
Mar 08, 2011, 09:25 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Even a brick will fly given enough power. Anything will get off the ground with thrust-to-weight ratios greater than 1:1, which are not uncommon at all in contemporary model aircraft. Many fly models by relying on brute power which is not satisfying to those seeking scale-like flight performance.

I think the expression "on the wing" is saying that the plane relies on having enough thrust to drive the wing well enough to generate adequate lift and fly with scale-like performance and maneuvering. If I understand Dag's comments, "enough" is somewhere in the 0.25:1 to 0.5:1 range.
Spot on right, couldn't have said it better.

Cheers!

Dag
Mar 10, 2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
And flying on the wing is a vintage concept now days, many have huge over power power systems that drag the plane through the air so fast it looks silly.'
It was more or less a joke. I understood what you meant...
Mar 10, 2011, 04:31 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
It was more or less a joke. I understood what you meant...
I know you were joking, would be hard to hurt my feelings.

Rock On, and be safe.

Dag!
Mar 14, 2011, 08:53 AM
So... I'm guessin you may want to stop by my neck of the woods again and check out our A-7?
Mar 16, 2011, 06:58 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by coptercptn View Post
So... I'm guessin you may want to stop by my neck of the woods again and check out our A-7?
Yep.

Thanks, Damon
Mar 16, 2011, 07:14 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
I am slowly getting all the data I need to design the beast to as close as 100% scale as I can. On the C-130 design I found that by designing a full scale model of the airframe and then scaling to what I would build is the best way for scale. I was lucky enough to get TO on the C-130, so drawing that 100% to scale using the Station Lines, Water Lines, and Bilge Lines I can get a airframe very close. But this takes a TON of time. My B-36 was a huge learning curve, as was my B-29. But now with the A-7 I am going to do this as close to scale as possible regardless the time invested. The B-36 is my biggest priority period!, but this design will get ramped up when I can't spend my free time on the 36.

Attached is a wing panel with SL/WL. I will pull all of this into CAD, then design the wing from this.

Thanks, DAG
Mar 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
I have been swamped with work. And I am getting nothing done on anything, but late at night when everyone is asleep I do get to play on the puter and design.

Here is a cool 3D of my gear design.

The wing design, which covers the folding, and leading edge device is looking cool. I will post those soon.

A 7D Gear 3D Test (1 min 27 sec)

Thanks, Dag
Mar 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Here is a hint at a crazy thing I might attempt, and the intake and exhaust is .12% bigger than both of the fans area.

DAG
Mar 26, 2011, 10:33 PM
2 X 70 mm EDFs?
Mar 27, 2011, 05:25 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillag View Post
2 X 70 mm EDFs?
I'm guessing 2 X 127mm from looking at the size of the hole in the bulkhead of the original video.

- Birger
Mar 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
I'm guessing 2 X 127mm from looking at the size of the hole in the bulkhead of the original video.

- Birger
Yep!

Dag