Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 06, 2003, 06:15 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Elevator joiner wire. Very simple set-up. I beveled the trailing edge of the horiz. stab. to allow clearance of the joiner (thanks for the idea Derek) Elevators have about 50 degrees travel. Control hook-up will be pull-pull on elev. and rudder.

Tim H.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2003, 06:16 PM
FoamyFactory.com
I had to put it together again to see what it looks like. Oh, I painted the stab. too.

Tim H.
May 06, 2003, 06:17 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Another...
May 06, 2003, 08:31 PM
Tim H.
It's funny you mentioned a Ultimate for the GWS power unit in the Tribute 3D thread, I've also been thinking along those lines, I'm staring at the plans for a Simple Series Ultimate for a .10 to .20 glow engine I borrowed from my uncle, WS.34"span, wing area 396". The plan does show the fuse to scale. I was leaning towards Blucor using various techniques by you and GPW. Not sure if these specs would be too much for the EPS 300C series power units or not. At least you maybe able to use these specs as food for thought. Would be cool to add a nice little profile Ultimate using a GWS or a GWS/M100/Egull Hybrid to the hanger. Here's what I been playing with based on the specs above, 6" chord, fuse length 26" without motor.
May 06, 2003, 08:57 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Looks cool SkyBurner. Here is what I have so far. I haven't scaled anything yet, so I'm not sure what the specs will be. I was going to work on it more tonight but I've been catching up on cleaning. I decided my workbench area needed organizing... I did make an interesting find this afternoon though. I was at Hobby Lobby looking for more of those paint pens (got purple and yellow), and noticed they had 1/2" foam board. I bought a piece to try out. I may do the fuse of the Ultimate with that instead of fan fold. I'll have to test the weight after I peel the paper off (yuck!).

Tim
May 06, 2003, 09:57 PM
Tim,

That color really looks great. It looks very opaque. I used a Sharpie red pen and it's just OK. My photos make the red look more opaque than in person. I'm going to try yours.

Gee, I wonder where the water drop scheme came from? I like that one. Hope to hear some flight reports soon.

I did not know about taking the ink off the skin. Thanks.

Derek
May 06, 2003, 10:14 PM
formerly khen
That kinda looks like one that I built a while back, I had the bleeding edge graphics on the bottom of it. I guess great minds think alike ehh..

Your's is better looking though..
May 06, 2003, 10:42 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
Tim,

Gee, I wonder where the water drop scheme came from? I like that one. Hope to hear some flight reports soon.

Derek
I knew I'd get that comment... It wasn't from the indoor Extra I swear...

Here was my inspiration. I actualy started painting before I saw the blue water drops. These truck guys really know how to paint! Some of the best color schemes are on the cars. If you ever need to find a cool scheme, do some R/C car searching. I wish I would have had yellow when I started.

www.pro-lineracing.com OK, my seret is out. Now NOBODY has an excuse for not being able to come up with a good paint scheme. I only wish I could airbrush that well...

The Paint pens are quite opaque. I was surprised.

Tim
May 06, 2003, 10:44 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Quote:
Originally posted by khen
I guess great minds think alike ehh..
You got it khen...
May 06, 2003, 10:53 PM
formerly khen
Here is my Sharpie work on the bottom, definitly not as good as your paint pen work. I am going to go look for those pens tommorow.
May 08, 2003, 09:30 AM
FoamyFactory.com
OK guys, working drawings are done for the Ultimate Bipe. I'm going to start cutting parts out this morning. I am going to cut out a fuse from the 1/2" sturdy board so I can compare the wt. of the 2 materials. This 1/2" stuff is great! The paper backing is for dry erase markers and peels off very cleanly. No need to soak the paper as with normal sturdy board. The downside is it is about a buck more per sheet than the regular stuff. I'll spend a buck to save myself from the mess of peeling regular sturdy board any day!

I sized the Ultimate for approx. the same wing area as the 3DX to try to keep the wt. in the same ball park. Ultimate wing span is 30"

Here's the million dollar question... Does anybody want a copy of the working drawings? Here's the catch. They are only working drawings. No equipment placement is shown, no CG info, no motor mounting info, spar location, etc. Power system is up to you. However, the wing construction, strut alignment is all tabbed for no-brainer building. If you want a copy of the "plans" all I ask is that you have some fan fold or depron on hand to start building, and the radio, motor equipment to finish it, and the ability, willingness to post build pics/tips in this thread. I would like to have a few "beta builders" to help get this thing wired.

If you are interested, PM me. It will be first come first served and I will only give out a few sets now. The plans are .pdf files that are sized for 6 8.5x11 sheets for the fuse, and 6 for the wing, struts and stab.

Tim H.
May 08, 2003, 02:51 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Here are the parts cut out for the Ultimate. Took about an hour to trace everything and cut the pieces.

Tim H.
May 08, 2003, 02:52 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Hey... It's starting to look like an airplane!
May 08, 2003, 02:54 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Another view...
May 08, 2003, 02:57 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Here is a comparison shot between the Ultimate and the 3DX. I think I'm going to make the first Ultimate with the GWS EPS300-C also. I will make a bigger Ultimate for the Hacker. I kept the wing areas the same and as you can see, there is quite a size difference. The span on the 3DX is 37", and on the ultimate 30".

Tim H.

Quick Reply