Dec 07, 2009, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Value Hobby motors and batteries

Does anyone have experience with a motor, esc, or battery from valuehobby.com?
Any reponse on product quality would be much appreciated!

-mj
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2009, 11:27 AM
I was impressed with a G Force 10 I tested. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=force+10

For cheap controllers, it seems HobbyWing has a good following.
Dec 08, 2009, 11:38 AM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
I was impressed with a G Force 10 I tested. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=force+10

For cheap controllers, it seems HobbyWing has a good following.
THEY SURE DO!!!

In fact soo good, that Thunderpower sells them with the TP name on them and so does Flight Power, using the FlightTech name.
Dec 08, 2009, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Dr Kiwi, for pointing me to your thread on G10. Is that motor in a plane at this point? Just curious what you're using it on.
Dec 08, 2009, 05:23 PM
No, it was simply a motor borrowed for test purposes.
Dec 08, 2009, 07:53 PM
Electrons were young...
That was my motor and will be in a Today's Hobbies Skyvolt for starters and probably a RaineDave Designs Shark XV as well (getting a second one).

Very nice motor.
Dec 08, 2009, 11:38 PM
ab amicis auxilio parvulo

Value Hobby Power system

I have set up a system consisting of:

GForce 32 - 800KV outrunner
Emax 50A-UBEC speed controller
GForce 20C 4s-4000 mah LiPo

This setup powers an e-conversion of a 76" WS Top Flite 40-size J3 Piper Cub.

I am using an APCe 12x6 prop cut down to 11.5" diameter. The static WOT is about 52 amps. and the prop is turning about 10K RPM. The Cub is nearly 6 lbs. AUW but it flies great at 1/2 throttle and can do any aerobatics from level flight with application of full throttle. A typical throttle managed flight of 12 minutes uses about 2500 mah.

However, I was surprised by a number of things I encountered in this setup. First, the motor would not run above 1/2 throttle on a 4s pack without appearing to loose sync with the ESC default setting of low timing. Trying mid timing got to about 3/4 throttle before it would go out of sync. At high timing, it would run all the way to full throttle without loosing sync. On a 3s pack, timing is not a factor in getting to full throttle.

Next is the start mode on the ESC. On anything other than fast mode, advancing the throttle quickly would result in a slow spool up for a couple seconds followed by a sharp jump to the final throttle setting.

Finally, the power draw and RPM I'm getting on the 11.5x6 prop doesn't really compute for the claimed KV of the motor. It seems more like what you'd expect from a 900+ KV motor.

I have only put 3 flights on the plane before the cold weather has set in so I can't say how durable it all is, but so far, motor ESC and battery seem up to the load they have to carry with respect to running temperature and voltage drop.
Dec 09, 2009, 12:08 AM
Thread OP
hey Aerospacer, that's very similar to what I'm considering. I'm looking to get into a similar size cub (maybe smaller like the e-flite cub) with the G32. Sounds like you're satisfied with the quality so far.
Dec 09, 2009, 07:59 AM
Electrons were young...
I saw someone used the G25 on a Sky Raider II conversion with 6S. It wasn't the G25 exactly but it was the same EMax motor shown in the VH picture (Emax 2826/06)

It looks like Value Hobby may be changing it's motors. Some are now shown as a purple and silver motor versus the blue EMax motors. I wonder if they are the same just a different color?
Dec 09, 2009, 11:50 AM

J-3 Value Hobby Power System

MJ,

I was shooting for a bigger, slower turning prop for the J-3 Cub application since it is basically a slow flier. In that respect, I maybe should have gone with the G32-600 KV so I could swing a 13 inch prop to develop my 600-700 watt target power. But the MotoCalc data I ran and even the recommended prop sizes on the Value Hobby web site seemed to say the G32-800KV was the one to choose.

As for the "strange" operation with the Emax ESC, I wonder if I would not have had problems with timing and motor start mode if I used my usual choice of Castle Creations Phoenix ESC's. I didn't in this case because the Emax has a UBEC capable of of running the 4 servos I used on a 4s LiPo, whereas a CC PH-60 required an stand-alone UBEC.
Dec 09, 2009, 01:02 PM

J3 Cub on Value Hobby power system

MJ,

If you are considering the E-flite Cub, it is smaller/lighter than my Top Flite. So, if you go with the GForce-32 800KV that I'm using, you probably could get away with one of the GForce 3s-4000 LiPo's for a battery. I saw about 330 watts on mine with the 11.5x6 APCe prop on 3s. I believe with either a full 12-inch or 13-inch prop you would get into the 400 watt range. If the E-flite Cub is at or below 4 lbs. AUW, you'd have a nice 6-7 watts per ounce power:weight ratio.

Quick Reply