Jan 19, 2010, 11:57 PM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm
Marcel,

Just to be sure, "adding more up thrust?", you mean above or below thrust line horizontal to the wings???

Ksqm
This is the direction the thrust line should be pointing, I'm not sure if this is "up" or "down" thrust (angle exagerated for clarity). Is this what you have at the moment? If you can move the motor down closer to the wing that would also help.

Marcel
Last edited by vleisie; Jan 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2010, 12:05 AM
boerie roll
Thread OP
I see you are running 4"/5" props, I guess this means that the motor needs to be mounted higher than if truly scaled down 50%? (3" prop would be 50% scale). This could be the source of the problem. The symptom would be that the plane needs more and more up-elevator as you increase the throttle.

Edit: I read your first post again and saw that you are using a 3.2" prop. So the motor should be only slightly higher than on the full size.

Marcel
Last edited by vleisie; Jan 20, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
Jan 20, 2010, 01:29 PM
Retired CAD guy
FYI:
I realized today that I had not added any of the MINI SIZED offerings to my shopping page.
Duhhh .. I wondered why no orders were forthcoming. sigh ...

Anyway I apologize for the delay and oversight.

http://www.balsabuddies.com/cutouts/bbshop.htm
Last edited by birdofplay; Jan 20, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Jan 20, 2010, 04:05 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Got my plans all printed out and am ready to go. What really appeals to me on this aircraft is the ability to shoot realistic jet approaches and touch and goes.
I am still wondering what power system to use. This plane may come in a bit heavier than the traditional jets but seems to perform really well with the prototype setup

Will the V3 microjet be sufficient? Flight time is more important than vertical to me. Was thinking that a 2200 3 cell would be too heavy for the v3. I remember Tohme saying he gets up to 15 min on the 2212-06 with a 2200 batt.

What would you guys suggest?

Darrin
Last edited by CaptDH; Jan 20, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Jan 20, 2010, 04:26 PM
Foam abuser!
Darrin,

The Microjet should be fine on this. Grayson says it's a good alternative to the 2212-6. I haven't put one together yet (got some foam cut last night, will get it done this weekend hopefully), so I'm not sure if a 2200 will fit. If it does, you should be OK with that, even on the Micro.

However, I'm not sure about the 15 minute runtime. I get a solid 5 minutes with a 1350, and maybe 8 with a 2200 on my 2212-6 motors.

Go with the Microjet combo (cheaper than the Super Sonic 2212-6) and an APC 6X4E prop. And use whatever lipo you can get to fit.

Pat
Jan 20, 2010, 11:04 PM

Read The Instructions, STUPID!!!

Read The Instructions, STUPID!!! Sometimes we think we have everthing covered. Well, in my dispair and frustration, I have re-read this thread a couple of times. Then it hit me, smack between the eyes, big as day: "(Requires about 1/4" (6mm) of up trim)". And sure enough, in the last build pic showing the floats. I zoomed in using my IPOD. Your elevons have a fair amount of up trim. It's the tidbits of info that you don't pay attention too, that well...

I had down loaded, what I thought, was all the tech data I needed to build and FLY this plane. I should have been checking the beginning of the thread for updates.

I normally trim up (reflex) a delta about 2 mm on the scale that I build and go from there. Mind you, the manual trim on my Plantraco gear is good for 3-4 mm at best, but this has worked good for me up to know. It never occurred to me that So Much Trim would need to be set to begin with. A Noobie still learning. Makes sense now, with full elevator, she's scooting along. Problem was, my expo has no affect working at the extremes. That's how I found out that my rudder was some help. I was able to turn her around with rudder and elevator. Then just ease the throttle back and just plop in. I'll re-maiden tomorrow morning if the weather cooperates. I'm so excited!!!

Marcel,

The Plans are golden for this plane. I just needed to pay attention to your updates. Half-Pint Draken and BD-5, after I get my Maybz F-14 (Half-Pint) done. More pics and possible a vid to follow.

Ksqm
Jan 20, 2010, 11:54 PM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin H

Will the V3 microjet be sufficient? Flight time is more important than vertical to me. Was thinking that a 2200 3 cell would be too heavy for the v3. I remember Tohme saying he gets up to 15 min on the 2212-06 with a 2200 batt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Darrin,

The Microjet should be fine on this. Grayson says it's a good alternative to the 2212-6. I haven't put one together yet (got some foam cut last night, will get it done this weekend hopefully), so I'm not sure if a 2200 will fit. If it does, you should be OK with that, even on the Micro.

However, I'm not sure about the 15 minute runtime. I get a solid 5 minutes with a 1350, and maybe 8 with a 2200 on my 2212-6 motors.

Go with the Microjet combo (cheaper than the Super Sonic 2212-6) and an APC 6X4E prop. And use whatever lipo you can get to fit.
Darrin, go with what Pat said. A 2200mah fits easily. I've flown mine on 1250 and 2200mah bats. The 15 minute flight time is a bit optimistic, it will be more like 8 minutes like Pat said, perhaps 10 if you just cruise around.

Marcel
Last edited by vleisie; Jan 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Jan 21, 2010, 12:01 AM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm
It never occurred to me that So Much Trim would need to be set to begin with.

Marcel,

The Plans are golden for this plane. I just needed to pay attention to your updates. Half-Pint Draken and BD-5, after I get my Maybz F-14 (Half-Pint) done. More pics and possible a vid to follow.

Ksqm
Ksqm, I hope the re-maiden is more succesful! Flying from grass I could easily trim the plane like normal, but a hand launch is less forgiving.

Marcel
Jan 22, 2010, 03:49 PM
USA, Massachusetts
Well I've just finished with my second Polaris. (the first one, well you get it). So now I'm continuing with my Seadart. I don't have time to fly any of my planes because of all the great guys that share there plans in here. I just get one done and there is another I just have to build. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this. I was going to try to modify the intake section but I'm not going to mess with a proven design of a great plane. Thanks again Marcel for this plane.
Jan 22, 2010, 04:49 PM
Retired CAD guy
As I said some time back,
Either scoops on the sides or move the scoop to the top.
That way I dont scoop up all the Elk Poop present at my field.

That's another reason I like the slick packing tape, as it Wipes off nice and clean

My Polaris is still original. "fingers crossed" :-)
Super vertical and rolls.
Every so often I get it into a weird stall spin thang usualy with rudder
but power brings it out.
Jan 23, 2010, 03:01 PM
Okay Gents, the good news... She flies!!! Went to the field before work and let'er rip. The bad news, on the second circuit around the field while trying to trim her out, I lost orientation. She went in from about 50 feet. Slight damage to front end, but my 450mAh bat took out the cross member supporting the front fus. Taped her up and she was good as new. I have to admit, my flying skills could use some improvement. More good news, my wife was on hand with the BACKUP camera. Will post vids later this evening. Overall, the 1811 2000Kv/450mAh combo pushes her along quite well. I will do some repairs and seal her up for water trails. More to come.

Ksqm
Jan 23, 2010, 03:18 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
man, just watched the water vid!!!!! how cool is that! looks like its perfect for water!
Jan 23, 2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
man, just watched the water vid!!!!! how cool is that! looks like its perfect for water!
Marvellous Model.
Jan 23, 2010, 05:03 PM
Foam abuser!
Got the rest of the parts cut out last night. Construction to start very soon.

Pat
Jan 24, 2010, 02:47 PM
USA, Massachusetts
Well I'm almost done with my Seadart, just need to put the motor on and aileron/rudder servo connections. The only places where I varied from the plans were the fuselage sides: I curved them more than angled them. And the wing and fuselage between the top and bottom hull is EPP foam.

Quick Reply