Jan 04, 2019, 06:05 AM
The total weight is 380g with battery.
That's true. Alula has excellent aerodynamic even with extra weight.
A lot of fun to fly it with or without motor power.

2013 E-Alula
E Alula (2 min 8 sec)
Last edited by arthur0903; Jan 04, 2019 at 06:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2019, 07:24 AM
E Alula (1 min 27 sec)
Feb 22, 2019, 11:27 PM
E-Alula (1 min 39 sec)
Mar 24, 2019, 07:05 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Hey all,

I purchased the Red Alula from the Flite Test review video at their Garage Sale.
Flite Test - Dream-Flight Alula - REVIEW (10 min 25 sec)

The nose is crooked, glued at multiple cracks, seems to have undergone the hot water treatment already, and is general mush. I'm not sure if it's worth repairing (the nose)

I was thinking of cutting it off flush to the wing, and making an EPP nose, but dont know where to get a block that size. Maybe 3"x2"x8"?

Will probably be used on the slope, but would be neat to still be somewhat useful for DLG launches.

Any suggestions?
Mar 24, 2019, 12:36 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
I suspect you could laminate smaller sheets of EPP together to get the size you want.
Mar 24, 2019, 03:46 PM
Lee over at Wind Catcher RC sells EPP sheets in #1.3 and #1.9 weights up to 2" thickness. Only problem is with one sheet you could make 30 or so noses
http://www.windcatcherrc.com/
Mar 25, 2019, 08:29 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Replacement nose -- or, there's this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3481826

-= Dave
Sep 15, 2019, 12:23 PM

Broken nose :(

I’ve had an Alula for a few years but haven’t really flown it, just a couple of hand launch sessions on a flat field. I’ve recently got back to it and found it was tucking under during launch. I moved the GC forward and this seemed to do the trick, it was much more neutral when launching. But the last launch, side arm discuss style, the whole canopy broke off, from where the wing joins, during the launch. I can’t understand why, maybe I hit the nose hard during a test flight and not noticed the damage.
Will epoxy fix this?
Last edited by TheLeggacy; Sep 15, 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 03:55 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeggacy
Will epoxy fix this?
Personally, I'm not a big fan of using epoxy with foam, since the foam will continue to flex as it's used but the epoxy cures rigid. I prefer the white Gorilla Glue, since it foams and fills the gaps in the foam bits. It cures firm, but not a brittle as epoxy. I've also had good results with Gorilla Glue thick CA.

I'm sure others have their preferences.

BTW, almost everyone with the Alula Evo has broken the nose off. Set a couple of bamboo skewers or CF rods in the mend.

-= Dave
Sep 15, 2019, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac
Personally, I'm not a big fan of using epoxy with foam, since the foam will continue to flex as it's used but the epoxy cures rigid. I prefer the white Gorilla Glue, since it foams and fills the gaps in the foam bits. It cures firm, but not a brittle as epoxy. I've also had good results with Gorilla Glue thick CA.

I'm sure others have their preferences.

BTW, almost everyone with the Alula Evo has broken the nose off. Set a couple of bamboo skewers or CF rods in the mend.

-= Dave
Which gorilla glue are you referring too? I donít want to get the wrong thing and have it eat through the foam.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:57 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
This.

-= Dave
Sep 15, 2019, 07:03 PM
That thing almost hit me
or this.......
Sep 15, 2019, 07:20 PM
Soar high, huck low
If you haven’t used gorilla glue, I would use foamtac. Gorilla glue expands as it cures. You can practice on some scraps of cardboard to see what I mean.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Sep 17, 2019, 07:25 PM
Would it be a good or bad idea to add some glass/carbon/Kevlar matting to the inside of the fuselage cavity for extra strength? And will the foam tac bond to it like an epoxy would?
Sep 17, 2019, 08:50 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeggacy
Would it be a good or bad idea to add some glass/carbon/Kevlar matting to the inside of the fuselage cavity for extra strength? And will the foam tac bond to it like an epoxy would?
I've done exactly that with my Alula Trek, Weasel Trek, and Ahi. Confession time, I used epoxy with the fiberglass. Haven't broken a nose since.

-= Dave

Quick Reply