Dec 02, 2009, 06:48 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Molding the Blaze

I designed this plane last yr and have decided to make a mold of the fuse and thicken the wing for more retract options in case of a future turbine conversion.

I have spent the last couple weeks just tweaking the shape. Something about the nose always bothered me so I extended it about 3 inches. Now I am still playing the shape......adding filler, then re-shaping. I might as well take my time and get it the way I like it. I am also extending the canopy hatch to be about 2 feet long and give plenty of access to the fuse.

All the molding supplies came today, so time to get that plug ready!!

Specs:

52" span
60.5" length
90-100mm fan or 14-15lb thrust turbine
10.5lb prototype with 90mm fan and 12s 5000.

Brian
Last edited by Tumbler; Dec 02, 2009 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2009, 06:59 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Such a cool looking plane..
you did a great job with it

good luck on the mold
Dec 02, 2009, 07:03 PM
Lee Liddle
Hey Brian, lookin good. Logging on.
Dec 02, 2009, 07:11 PM
Classic jets rule
i dont see the cat for the west systems epoxy? what is in the other 1 gallon can? what are you using for face coat or gel coat for the mold?
Dec 02, 2009, 07:32 PM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
Looks good Brian. Keep up the hard work. Im sure it will pay off at the end.

Bill
Dec 02, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
i already had the cat for the WS epoxy. That is for the fuse layup. The one gallon container is the polyester resin for the mold and the 2 1 guart cans are the gelcoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
i dont see the cat for the west systems epoxy? what is in the other 1 gallon can? what are you using for face coat or gel coat for the mold?
Dec 02, 2009, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliments guys. Going to take a while, but I'll post as I go.
Dec 02, 2009, 09:07 PM
Classic jets rule
you ar ready to go then eh! have fun...are you doing a molded hatch?
Dec 02, 2009, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
I cut the hatch out but then decided the front edge would be hard to get parts out of it so I glued it back on and will cut out a right angle front edge. It will be a seperate mold and will make a clear canopy for it too.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
you ar ready to go then eh! have fun...are you doing a molded hatch?
Dec 03, 2009, 09:26 AM
Any idea's on how many oz's of glass for the lay-up? ... sweet project, will be following this one.... good luck with the prototype .
Dec 03, 2009, 09:35 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Excellent job Brian!!
Dec 03, 2009, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
Thanks ES! The protype has already flown about 20-25 times. Here is a video below. This is just on a cheap $80 90mm Midifan. I have been told to do a layer of 1.4 or 2oz glass and then a layer of 6oz. then I will add some carbon to the areas like the nosegear, wing saddle, and motor mount.

The Blaze at Hamburg Jet Rally 2009 (6 min 11 sec)

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESTRIKE 1
Any idea's on how many oz's of glass for the lay-up? ... sweet project, will be following this one.... good luck with the prototype .
Dec 03, 2009, 01:29 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Hi Brian
It is nice to see your Blaze vid again. It will be a very nice composite version later!
I see you're having fun with the Neu again! That combo is very nice! I'd reconsider this for 90mm edf later

All the best!

Erik
Dec 03, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Erik! I spent a lot of time installing the motor and fan the last time to make sure the wires exiting straight out of the motor and were not chafing only to fly it 7-8 more times and then decide to break her down and mold her. It will be worth it in the long run...I can have a light 90mm set up, fast 100mm, and faster Artes Super Bee Turbine version.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
Hi Brian
It is nice to see your Blaze vid again. It will be a very nice composite version later!
I see you're having fun with the Neu again! That combo is very nice! I'd reconsider this for 90mm edf later

All the best!

Erik
Dec 03, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hi Brian,
Your Blaze looks really "Crispy Creamy"!!!
I really hope that in close future I will be able to buy one of your airframes!
Cheers,
Janusz

Quick Reply