Dec 03, 2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks Springer,

I'll have to wait till tomorrow evening anyway as my wife has informed me we will be
at the hospital for the birth of our grand daughter at 0800 and then back to thier house for the day to watch our grandson. LOL If you get to it I'll appreciate it. Also, I'll
contact Mr. Segraves about the program. I need to learn the program so I'll have
more control on my model sizes. Also trying to learn a cad system so I can do plan
layout as well. I think I'm missing out on too much fun by not getting involved in all
the aspects of foam modeling for electric flight. What a hoot! Warm regards, Jim

Mr. Segraves contacted.
Last edited by Jim Hatch; Dec 06, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2009, 05:59 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Thread OP
Jim, congratz on the coming of the Grandbaby!

A bigger version with a BW ought to be sweet. I have those as well and will probably try that also before long.

Probably wont be doing any building tonight as planned. The wifey & I will be teaming up on the Christmas tree after our daughter goes to bed.
I had forgotten about that in all my excitement about the J-Bug.
Dec 04, 2009, 10:11 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
A bigger version with a BW ought to be sweet. I have those as well and will probably try that also before long.
Jimmy,

Great idea on the larger version; I'm also thinking that a somewhat larger one with a lower KV motor turning a larger diameter low pitch prop would be nice, & would fly very quietly. J-Bug is a fine inspiration for a lot of possible variants.

I also am thinking that I would be inclined to build a landing gear setup which could handle some tall grass & rougher ground handling too, since some of us don't have a 'yard' to fly from at all. I'm thinking that I'll be mounting large diameter lightweight wheels. So the fuselage could get 'morphed' to provide solider mounting, to handle those stresses on a somewhat heavier model, in the process of the enlarging. I'm also inclined to build a removable / interchangable wing, so that it can travel in a modest amount of space, and allow for experimenting with additional wing designs.

Viking
Dec 04, 2009, 10:27 AM
Thread OP

Building on Vikings idea's...

Nice idea's Viking. 1 thing I also am considering is a moveable wing so that you can take it slightly more forward or rearward which can change the degree of incidence to suit your style of flying.
I actually wondered how hard it would be to make the wing on this little guy mounted with velcro on the saddle and actually function correctly.
Lift it off & slide a bit forward will drop the frt & lower incidence for maybe a bit quicker flight envelope, maybe handle a breeze better or something to that extent.

Hmmmm
Dec 04, 2009, 10:52 AM
Ken's CAD Models
On landing gear

Many of the OT models had their gear mounted on or near the firewall. If you beefed the firewall with some foam backing, you could mount the gear right behind the motor mount.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Nov 22, 2016 at 07:33 AM.
Dec 04, 2009, 10:56 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
Nice idea's Viking. 1 thing I also am considering is a moveable wing so that you can take it slightly more forward or rearward which can change the degree of incidence to suit your style of flying.
I actually wondered how hard it would be to make the wing on this little guy mounted with velcro on the saddle and actually function correctly.
Lift it off & slide a bit forward will drop the frt & lower incidence for maybe a bit quicker flight envelope, maybe handle a breeze better or something to that extent.

Hmmmm
Modest sized patches of Velcro would hold the positioning; I'm thinking that running a couple of rubber bands over the center would handle the heavier flight loads during loops, etc. (Murphy's law would indicate that velcro alone will only do the job 98% of the time....)

VIKING
Dec 04, 2009, 11:02 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
On landing gear

Many of the OT models had their gear mounted on or near the firewall. If you beefed the firewall with some foam backing, you could mount the gear right behind the mootr mount.

Ken
Ken,

that really makes a lot of sense- it's the place to structurally tie everything together... the rest of the airframe can then be kept relatively light.

VIKING
Dec 04, 2009, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking60
Ken,

that really makes a lot of sense- it's the place to structurally tie everything together... the rest of the airframe can then be kept relatively light.

VIKING
Agreed. I am already regretting the LG set up I have on it now. For nothing but calm no crash flying it works but I have already had to reglue the CF 3 times at the foam.
LG is something that needs to be thought about some more for sure. I like the idea of doing it at the firewall. I also like cf for the weight.
Springer & myself were talking about even doing a light wire only with big circles. That would give it some nice cushion also.
Let the idea's roll fella's.
Dec 04, 2009, 12:22 PM
My plans are in my blog
Put the landing gear at the firewall.
Dec 04, 2009, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Wonder if anyone will "build to plans"?
I will! I'm too ignorant to know what to modify! LOL If someone says "this plane flies great" that's what I'm after.

After reading some of the other posts though, I too would definitely like to see larger plans for the larger BW. If you go with the firewall LG, maybe a sandwich between two thin pieces of ply similar to what I did on my BluBaby might work. I *will* try an original sized JBug though because I'm still looking for that elusive "back yard flyer"..... maybe if my piloting skills improve, all of a sudden several of my planes will qualify!
Last edited by JohnsPop; Dec 04, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Dec 04, 2009, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hatch
phonecall from my son that our first grand daughter will make her appearance about
0800 tomorrow morning. (C-section) "Hot diggity!"
Hey congrats Jim! You may not be cutting foam Saturday either! LOL I'd rather play with a new baby than airplanes anyday.
Dec 04, 2009, 02:49 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop
I will! I'm too ignorant to know what to modify! LOL If someone says "this plane flies great" that's what I'm after.
Probably the only person to believe that JohnsPop is ignorant is John.
Dec 04, 2009, 03:16 PM
Registered FFF Addict
I'll second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite
Probably the only person to believe that JohnsPop is ignorant is John.
Dec 04, 2009, 03:44 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Like it, I almost missed this one. Goldguy's right lots of possibilities.

I used to be a bit sniffy about profile "vintage" foamies but Im softening...

I would consider building one....but it would have to be epp... I haven't quite figure out how I would build the under cambered wing though
Dec 04, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hey Folks,

Grand daughter arrived on schedule, beautiful and healthy! A real sweetheart! LOL!
We are overjoyed. Thanks for the well wishes!

Mr. Segraves sent me the scale and tile program (3 files) which I'm still trying to
figure out. LOL! I'm not the most computer literate person to be found but really thought I'd have it working by now. After a couple of solid hours trying, decided to
let it rest for a while. I have the "Read Me" file and will keep going through it step
by step until I discover what dumb mistake I committed. LOL! Meanwhile, I am hoping
that Springer finds time to enlarge the tiled plan to about 150 percent for me. Sounds
like others would use it as well. I figured 150 percent would be about a 33 inch model
and perhaps a shade lighter than the 33 inch BB. Should perform OK with BW motor, and still throttle
back to a minimum flying speed at around 1/2 throttle or a skosh less. LOL! Have a
great day folks, and Jimmy, congrats again on the design. Just hold off a few days and
we'll probably have several updated landing gears to choose from. LOL. Warm regards,
Jim
Last edited by Jim Hatch; Dec 06, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply