Dec 02, 2009, 05:32 PM
treefinder
Jimmy: First pieces done. Ready for your review and approval. Now we need all the little bits: firewall, reinforcements, etc.

still coming tonite? unfortunately it's raining here right now.. may quit tho....
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2009, 06:27 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Thread OP

Plans are a comin'

Wow folks. Just finished work & am looking through the thread. I am way pleasantly surprised at the feedback.

There are some folks here whose planes I have loved and design skills are just awesome that have made me feel really great about my own design.

GPW, Goldy, Rusty, Ken, you guys make awesome designs and I hope mine last's as long as all of yours have.
Yup, definitely honored to get that kind of feedback from you guys.

Once I get some free time tonight I'll read through them more & do some posting.

OMW to Springer's from work now to work out the plans. Hopefully we will get something posted tonight or at the very least, close enough to get them done in the next couple days.

I also have more flight reports to do and we will get a vid tonight if it stops raining. Cross your fingers.

TTFN
Jimmy

PS... Mike, get that bowl O bean & ham soup ready!
Dec 02, 2009, 06:48 PM
My plans are in my blog
Jimmy... I'm sure your planes already last longer then mine. Even most newb's planes last longer then some of mine!
Yours is the type of plane I'll do soon. I like these old timer planes, they look nice with them sexy curves.
Dec 02, 2009, 09:33 PM
flyin' fool
JJF:

You've started something here that's bigger than you think. There's a whole family of old times from the past that will work with your basic design using a profile fuse ......... Buzzard Bombshells, Coronets, Vikings, Brigidiers, just to name a few. Just change the side view and your good to go.

I was looking for a 'poke around' for indoor. I'm inspired and now can't decide which look to go for. I like sexy curves too.

Frank
Dec 02, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hey Frank,

Isn't it funny how sexy curves go with airplanes and boats, and how anything with
these curves are magnets for guys. LOL! Warm regards, Jim
Dec 02, 2009, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
Jimmy... I'm sure your planes already last longer then mine. Even most newb's planes last longer then some of mine!
Yours is the type of plane I'll do soon. I like these old timer planes, they look nice with them sexy curves.
LOL Rusty. Actually, I was meaning the "design" that I hope last's as long. I love the reception the J-Bug has gotten right outta the gate and hope that it continues to be popular in the future.
The first plane I successfully built and flew has been around since June of 2005. Hmm now what was that plane? T-rex, er... Trainer something... Some cool mad scientist named Glen.

Now THATS longevity I can only hope for with this design.
Dec 02, 2009, 11:17 PM
Thread OP

Ol' Timers forever!

Frank, I know exactly what you mean. Leon Shulman's Banshee popped in an older magazine I have from like 2005 that had Leon himself reviving the design and turning his free flight into rc controlled. And they even made a free pullout plan to make it out of FFF.
I got that magazine along with about 60 other's in a box last Feb when I first started RC. Bought the whole box of mag's for 4 bones.
I saw those pics & read that article & that was it. It was all over but the crying from that point on.
Yep, I'm already picturing those different designs that all seem to have a basic theme that just screams floating nirvana.
Dec 02, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclassic1
Hi Jimmy,
just got back online after the move and was very pleased to see that you are now designing your own planes.I have to say it,s a cracking looking foamy and will put one together just as soon as you post some plans.I have not done any flying for a few months now but hope to get out in the near future.Good luck with this plane ,I think it,s going to be very popular and I look forward to your next own design.

All the best

John
Hey John, welcome back!
Thx for the kind words man.
And I am still flying my Accorn also!
Dec 02, 2009, 11:30 PM
Thread OP

Plans are almost done

Went to Springer's tonight & we got the plans worked out. A bit of fine tuning & Mike will probably get them posted later tonight & email me a copy to put in the first post.
Still raining so no vid though.

Oh, and dihedral ended up being 1.5" ea wingtip.

This weekend I will try to find time to do a mini build log as I saved pics from the start.
I can already see area's that can use improvement too such as the LG and the h fuse stiffeners. As is it is a great flyer and stiff enough as long as the plane flies and doesn't crash.
Probably not the greatest plane for a beginner as a few unscheduled landings would probably do it in. But for those with at least a bit of RET experience, this guy is the perfect plane to have when leaving the home to go fly isn't always an option. And for those that are experienced & just want that relaxing flight, yeah, this is your frt yard "Lawn Chair" flyer.

The wife said to me earlier today, "all that time you spent printing plans and building all these different planes to find that plane you can fly out front this past year and the one you end up with is one you just went & made your durned self!"

Man this hobby is great!
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Dec 02, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Dec 03, 2009, 12:48 AM
Lawn chair flyer! Has a nice ring to it. Describes me and my planes as well. LOL
Gotta be pretty, with a bit of charactor, and fly slower than the speed of thought.
By jove, I think you on to something.

Also, as light as your plane is, I'll be surprised if you don't find it somewhat more
durable than your giving it credit for. It's amazing the licking a light foamie can take
and bounce back unscathed.

Make sure you explain to your wife that all of those other planes were a necessity to
assimulate the necessary skills to design and build your own. After all, aeronautical
engineering isn't for sissies. LOL. Your efforts to get the plans out are appreciated.
Hoping to maiden a J-Bug soon. Warm regards, Jim
Dec 03, 2009, 02:47 AM
flyin' fool
I'm an arm chair flyer too.......bad knees. I take off and land no more the an arm's length away. When and if I have to get up, I place a sign on the chair that sez.........'For Rent $5 for 5 minutes'.

I now never have to ask someone to get the hell out of MY chair. Well, except for Heather, our groupie/photographer/Pamela Anderson clone.

That's were the sexy curves part of the hobby comes into play, never mind the old timer airplanes.
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 03, 2009 at 02:53 AM.
Dec 03, 2009, 08:54 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
I'm secretly working on a 60" Comet Interceptor .. all FFF . Another armchair flyer...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 03, 2009, 09:26 AM
High Altitude Flyer
The J-Bug is looking fine!!

VIKING
Dec 03, 2009, 10:49 AM
treefinder

Plans/templates

alright, trying this again. Last night, had them all set in the manage attachments screen, uploaded and got the dread "windows cannot display the page" and it was down hill from there. Connect speed was 21kbps supposedly...

anyway, if this works, here's the major templates in full, letter and A4 tiled sizes for your enjoyment. As Jimmy said, he'll do the build guide and fill in the "little bits".
Dec 03, 2009, 11:34 AM
Ken's CAD Models
The joint between the vertical stab and fuse. Is the fuselage split at the tail to take the vertical stabilizer, or is material to be removed from the rudder?

Ken

Quick Reply