Dec 14, 2009, 05:07 PM
Jimmy,

Starting with the "1200" BW with the "1700" Blue Monster in reserve. LOL.

AJ,

Hoping we both get a nice day for maiden flights. Also curious as to how
your version compares to my 150% version with similar motors. I'm still leaning how
to judge these things but have had luck on my side thus far. LOL. Warm regards,
Jim
Last edited by Jim Hatch; Dec 14, 2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: correction
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2009, 06:09 PM
oh man jim, the way this week is looking i dont know when ill be able to fly again. but who knows. the weather report changes everyday.
Dec 14, 2009, 06:14 PM
My plans are in my blog
Weather issues? I haven't flown a plane in months now, and weve just begun our winter months up here. Its nasty cold out there today, and the wind is blowing ugly. It will likely be about April when I can fly outside again! (I haven't even maidened my new retro racer yet.)
Dec 14, 2009, 06:37 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Thread OP
Rusty... Retro racer?...... do tell! pics?
I am in a Golden Age plane kick atm. As you can see.
I love the racers.

As much as I hate cold windy weather, I shudder to think about what you are experiencing right now way up there.
Dec 14, 2009, 07:03 PM
Thread OP

Speaking of BW's ...

I have a 1300 KV BW from HK that I have on my T1. That plane, other than being a pusher, has a very similar flight envelope.
My T1 is about maybe 36"ws, I forget. She flies awesome on 3s with a 6x5 SF prop. Went that route due to pusher needing smaller prop to fit so I went 3s with 6". I have a Rhino 360 3s on it and get easy 45 minute flights with throttle management.
An 8" prop on 2s ought to be real nice on the biggun. If I do a biggun I'll use the Mystery 900 mah 2s & 8x4 or 8x6 SF. That 2s is just a little heavier than the 360 3s and on this planform, that much wont matter with such a nice high lift & light wing loading.

Man, add another to the build list.
Dec 14, 2009, 11:11 PM
Rusty,

"Weather issues? I haven't flown a plane in months now, and weve just begun our winter months up here. Its nasty cold out there today, and the wind is blowing ugly. It will likely be about April when I can fly outside again! (I haven't even maidened my new retro racer yet.) "

Rusty, if I'm not mistaken, you live so far North that Santa has to fly North to make a
delivery to your house. LOL! If the weather bothers ya up there, come on down.
It's near 60 here. LOL.

Jimmy,

Click on Rusty's name and check out his blog. In addition to the retro racer, you'll find
quite a few really neat planes with some interesting tweaks to them.

Warm regards, Jim
Dec 15, 2009, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hatch
Jimmy,

Click on Rusty's name and check out his blog. In addition to the retro racer, you'll find
quite a few really neat planes with some interesting tweaks to them.

Warm regards, Jim
Oh I have... quite a few times actually.
I luv checking out his stuff.
Dec 15, 2009, 08:42 AM
I was actually thinking that the way Rusty "laminates" some of his would work on this as well to give some depth to the sides and add strength to the pylon with little weight penalty. If I grind one out it might be on a 1400Kv 2204 suppo motor but would want something inbetween the 10 and the 24g motor.
Dec 15, 2009, 01:43 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
Weather issues? I haven't flown a plane in months now, and weve just begun our winter months up here. Its nasty cold out there today, and the wind is blowing ugly. It will likely be about April when I can fly outside again! (I haven't even maidened my new retro racer yet.)
That racer on your blog reminds me of Ken Willard's Top Dawg from the 60's. Neat looking.

To avoid 'cabin fever', I'm thinking you need to think real small, something to fly inside the house, like a hallway hauler.
Dec 15, 2009, 02:30 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
That racer on your blog reminds me of Ken Willard's Top Dawg from the 60's. Neat looking.

To avoid 'cabin fever', I'm thinking you need to think real small, something to fly inside the house, like a hallway hauler.
How your "Cabin model" coming on Gold?

I haven't started mine yet...I got side tracked looking at Gene Bonds Piper again..
Dec 15, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hey Folks,

Maidened my J-bug today after lunch when the wind laid down for a bit prior to the
rain. A bit tail heavy at the start. Moved the battery forward and it balanced
out. The BW has more than ample power for the 32 inch version. Much over half
power resulted in flutter on leading edge of wing. Will tape some light cf rods on the
leading edge and see what that does. I backed off the throttle and tried slow speed
and the J-bug was much happier. I kept backing off until the darned thing was
nearly defying gravity. LOL! By then the rain was here so I called it quits. I'll try
again when weather permits. Warm regards, Jim
Dec 15, 2009, 09:53 PM
Thread OP

And we have a maiden folks!

Jim, that's great to hear your J-Bug flew well today.
Flutter at upper end throttle...hmmm
I don't remember, did you mention whether or not you were using struts? I could read back but I only have a minute on the PC.
1 thing I may have succeeded in creating with this design was a really high lift airfoil with large wing area. On my small guy with struts, WOT only scoots him around faster. No issues with wing strength. But scaled down that small, for how its built, it's pretty strong. Now add to that equation a bigger airframe with a much scaled up high lift and big wing area wing...Might be that the 24g BW, even on just 2s, has enough oomph to stress out that wing some.
The fact that it also practically floats at very little throttle and the flutter at more than 50%, yeah, think we have a real floater here fella's.

How about some pics of the final assembly. I would be real interested in your AUW with Batt also.
Would you mind posting all your specs, all the gear used & some pics?
I would really appreciate it. This lends some good factual info towards finding out what this design is capable of, especially in the bigger models.

I bet the BW on 2s with this design would get huge flight times.
For those that are building the bigger version, heck the bigger and little one, lets see who can be the first to get an honest hour flight time on 1 batt.

Anyone up for the challenge? Course, you'll need the neck brace after looking up that long. lol

This is great stuff indeed.
Dec 15, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hey Jimmy,

No Struts, but I don't think thats the problem. Perhaps the cf on the leading edge will fix it. The flutter is confined to the leading edge. Starts small and builds as
speed increases. Back off and it's fine.

I'll try to get the pic's soon but my son borrowed my camera for the new baby shots.
Maybe by the weekend. Warm regards, Jim
Dec 15, 2009, 11:30 PM
My plans are in my blog
My Ozone Racer, based on my earlier version of a retro racer.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=ozone+racer

Goldguy... yup, I'd love to get a living room flyer, but even then our apartment is quite small, I'd likely bump everything each flight. We are hoping to fly in the school gym again, but we need to buy more very small equipment, and Santa stole all my spare money in hopes to please the kids. The kid's happiness comes before mine (or the wifey will tear my head off, make me sleep outside with the neighbor's dog.)
Dec 16, 2009, 12:02 AM
Sorry Jimmy, but Rusty one of these days I still gotta build your prowler. One of my all time favorite looking profiles. I like your fatties too...

Quick Reply