Aug 21, 2019, 07:41 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Thread OP

Glad to see folks still enjoy the J-Bug...

Wow folks, I couldn't be happier to see this little guy still being enjoyed. RL has taken over the last few years and no time for hobbies but I can't ignore that little voice screaming at me to glue up and fly some foam any longer!
I have thumbed through the thread some and it sure is cool the different variants that have been done. To answer the most recent posts about it being fragile I have to admit... In it's original form (see my Avatar) this probably isn't for new fliers. I built this plane to my own personal tastes which is also light as a feather sacrificing structure but only because I knew its limits and could push them without too many oopsies. That original J-Bug went through a lot including crashes and fixes and always was my absolute best front yard flyer bar none. No hovering or harrier/3D required. Ken's change to full fuse took care of the fragile issues I believe. The short nose was from my love of the old time gas ships. That style appeals to me most. But I was a mad scientist with my building and I can build quite light so balancing wasn't an issue. But again these are things that can be a pain to deal with. Scaling him up and/or just going with Ken's full fuse would work well for increasing strength in the week spots. I remember the original's tail was so flimsy it was a wonder it never broke off.

So I dont know that i'll be building another J-Bug just yet... actually doing non-motor gliders like DLG's. Cheaper builds with no motors and less battery usage. But I'll keep poking in here too. I do have one of Ken's kits half built and sooner or later I'll finish him.

Blessings!
Jimmy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2019, 05:17 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Great design Jimmy!
Mine 22" powered by 716mm brushed/geared motor on 1s.
Had to build 2 as I made 2 of same wing panel.
I use your wing and tail sections on c/f sq. tube fus. with foam wing pylon.
Flies great indoors and outdoors , light winds, and will R.O.G. indoors. Minimal power, but flies nicely at 41g flying weight.

cheers
Last edited by H1958D; Aug 22, 2019 at 07:46 AM.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by H1958D
Great design Jimmy!
Mine 22" powered by 716mm brushed/geared motor on 1s.
Had to build 2 as I made 2 of same wing panel.
I use your wing and tail sections on c/f sq. tube fus. with foam wing pylon.
Flies great indoors and outdoors , light winds, and will R.O.G. indoors. Minimal power, but flies nicely at 41g flying weight.

cheers
Thank you! But I certainly can't take all the credit. Its Stevens Aero on the wings & tail feathers. I just figured out a great way (challenging maybe) to use em. lol
I really like simple and what you did with it is wonderful! Would love to see more close up pics of how you mounted everything and that boom fuse. I have really started to get interested in super lightweight 1s set ups.

Thank you for sharing!

Jimmy
Aug 24, 2019, 04:51 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
Thank you! But I certainly can't take all the credit. Its Stevens Aero on the wings & tail feathers. I just figured out a great way (challenging maybe) to use em. lol
I really like simple and what you did with it is wonderful! Would love to see more close up pics of how you mounted everything and that boom fuse. I have really started to get interested in super lightweight 1s set ups.

Thank you for sharing!

Jimmy
Not the best photographer I'm afraid.
This one boom is 3x2mm c/f round tube.
Motor, batt., and Rx. mount to 1mm ply and foam platform at nose.
Servo's to control surfaces thin yellow angler's braid. (teflon?) Don't know if visible in pic. (pull-pull system)

cheers
Last edited by H1958D; Aug 24, 2019 at 06:26 AM. Reason: added pic
Aug 24, 2019, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the pics! I like what you did and may have to try that also. As I said earlier I really like simple (limited build time and funds to boot ) and a boom plane may be my next little guy build. I am really getting into small light weight gliders, DLGs and am starting to research the 1s set ups. I have my 150 1s from my Whip It that I am basing my first gear set off of. I See your batt lead coming from your receiver. Did you make it or are they available for purchase? My 1s just has the plug end for going into the usb charger so I'll have to have a jumper to go to my rx. I see the micro gear Banggood has which has the minimicro jst connectors. Can you let me now what rx, servos you are using?

Thanks again for posting these pics. I really like what you did with this!

Blessings!
Jimmy
Aug 25, 2019, 04:27 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
Thanks for the pics! I like what you did and may have to try that also. As I said earlier I really like simple (limited build time and funds to boot ) and a boom plane may be my next little guy build. I am really getting into small light weight gliders, DLGs and am starting to research the 1s set ups. I have my 150 1s from my Whip It that I am basing my first gear set off of. I See your batt lead coming from your receiver. Did you make it or are they available for purchase? My 1s just has the plug end for going into the usb charger so I'll have to have a jumper to go to my rx. I see the micro gear Banggood has which has the minimicro jst connectors. Can you let me now what rx, servos you are using?

Thanks again for posting these pics. I really like what you did with this!

Blessings!
Jimmy
One J-Bug var. has FrSky Rx. with HK 5320 servos. Servos had 1.25mm pitch plugs, Rx had sockets 1.0mm pitch,
so had to put 1.0mm plugs on servo's. (This binds to early tgy 9x). Had to solder batt. and motor leads.
Second J-Bug uses wltoys brick. (binds with tgy i10)
If looking for Spektrum gear, go with BoC's links in the Dart thread.
Brick is probably best bet, no need to worry servo leads etc.
Hope this is not too confusing, I've just had no experience with Spektrum gear.
It's all out there, just have to research what works with what, and what will suit gear you have.
Hope this is of some use, and you get one together soon.

cheers.
Last edited by H1958D; Aug 25, 2019 at 05:05 AM.
Sep 29, 2019, 04:17 PM
I just had a flight with my J-Bug in the vacant yard next door.
Soon after taking off was joined by a huge flock of Corellas shrieking their heads off.
Must have been around 60 birds flying around with me. :-)
Oct 01, 2019, 07:11 AM
Thread OP
Too bad you couldn't have gotten a pic! lol
Oct 01, 2019, 06:53 PM
Hi H1958D, what size foam are your using in on your nice little J-Bug and your ''boom is 3x2mm c/f round tube''...is it round or rectangular
Thank you
Paul
Oct 02, 2019, 03:31 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin
Hi H1958D, what size foam are your using in on your nice little J-Bug and your ''boom is 3x2mm c/f round tube''...is it round or rectangular
Thank you
Paul
G'day Paul, the 3x2mm is round,ie 3mm outside, 2mm inside.
I have also built one using 3mm sq. tube.
The models are made from Hking 3mm foamboard., the material is fairly floppy, but with a few ribs it
becomes very stable, the wings hold their shape very well. The models are fairly low powered, I don't know
how they would hold up with a more powerful set-up.
Great flying models, I learnt the art of flying indoors in a small venue, and on calm evenings fine outdoors.

Cheers
Oct 02, 2019, 03:33 AM
Jimmy - I managed to contact the chap I mention from my club and he has sent me several pics of his J-Bug with flaps.
It has been modified a bit wit a carbon fibre tail boom.

Hope you find them interesting
Oct 02, 2019, 06:55 AM
Thread OP
Interesting to say the very least! That thing is awesome!!! Thank you for getting these and thank him for me for sending them. He did a really nice job with his J-Bug. I can just imagine how slow this guy can fly. Must be awesome to watch. Even better to fly.
Thanks again so much for sharing!
Jimmy
Dec 01, 2019, 05:28 AM
Greenbear

New J-Bug in Greenville SC

I have just built a J-Bug, scaled down to 17" wing span, with AR6400 controls, all up weight 1.5 oz. Maidened yesterday and flew great. Wonderful design!! I will post pics and/or video once I have figured out how to do that...
Last edited by Greenbear; Dec 03, 2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Want to add pic
Dec 03, 2019, 06:16 PM
Hello, is there someplace online to download plans?
Dec 03, 2019, 07:30 PM
Greenbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbear
I have just built a J-Bug, scaled down to 17" wing span, with AR6400 controls, all up weight 1.5 oz. Maidened yesterday and flew great. Wonderful design!! I will post pics and/or video once I have figured out how to do that...
Towards the beginning of the thread there are plans for downloading

Quick Reply