Feb 11, 2017, 07:01 PM
GPW, thanks for your reply.
I think I might need to google the word"hinge line" then relocate the control horn.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2017, 05:49 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Here’s a little drawing that may help ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Feb 14, 2017, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostcity
Got someone to shoot this for me today while i exercised my my J bug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it did exist, until vimeo took it down. Apparently a little too risque for RC Groups.
Feb 14, 2017, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Here’s a little drawing that may help ...
I got it, thanks a lot for your explanation.
May 13, 2019, 05:34 AM
2017 the previous last message!

I used to fly my J-Bug indoors and the fuselage got more and more damaged - OK my fault. So, having a perfectly good wing and tail, the fuselage got trashed and a new full fuselage went on. Really nice to fly until the motor fell out on the test flight and the replacement wouldn't go. Those were 10 gram motors. However having a number of 19 gram, one went in and now it had a bit of power, just about vertical climb. I use 2C 350mAh batteries.

This is the 53 cm / 21" version. The wing is removable and I have flown with a parallel chord wing. Not quite as good though maybe looks better? Different?

The inside of the fuselage has bamboo skewers along the full length on both sides which stops the fuselage from breaking. The nose is a pill bottle (I get given a number of them from a friend) with the thread end cut off, split down the side and a hole in the bottom.

Docile flyer but can be looped and do left hand barrel rolls.
May 13, 2019, 05:48 AM
Has anyone had any success with an all balsa J-Bug?
May 14, 2019, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401
Has anyone had any success with an all balsa J-Bug?
Sure..look in the prevoius posts.many years ago.It is a version from balsa
May 14, 2019, 11:03 AM
MAC50L,
I like that J_Bug with fuselage, did you make it up or is there some plans for it. If so, could point them out.
Thank you
Paul
May 16, 2019, 04:11 AM
Paul - hopefully the following will help -

An A4 sized scan of the fuselage template (PDF). Note that the fuselage extension is that piece shown above the main part of the fuselage. I made two long bits of fuselage and two cabin bits, then glued the cabin bits to their fuselage bits. Do it how you prefer.

Tongue depressors (wooden) 4 total, strengthen vertically and hold the wing retaining spars/sticks, about 100 mm out of each side and enough to loop a hair-retainer (the things girls use to hold a pony-tail or similar) bungy over.

Not shown but bamboo skewers split in half lengthwise along the upper edge of the fuselage made up of 3 pieces per side. These to stop the fuselage breaking if flown the way I do (at times). Foam on top of the fuselage pieces to give a covered fuselage. I tend to leave the bottom open, cover if you wish. The curved cockpit, front and back, made from foam cups.

The wing has 4 little bits of bamboo where the retaining bungy goes through the wing through 4 holes. The alternative is having the retaining bungy go over the leading and trailing edges of the wing. I've tried both and prefer that used on this airframe in this case.

The cut-off tail (from the original J-Bug) had a bit (10 - 20 mm) that went between the ends of the fuselage sides. Do that or not as you wish. The horizontal triangular bits on the leading edges of the tailplane again to help stop breakage. I've since curved their leading edges to improve looks. The same with the triangle at the foot of the tail-fin. Moving surfaces are small as per the original. They seem adequate.

The nose is longer than the J-Bug standard and makes CoG much easier to get right though the battery still goes up against the firewall. The Rx is in the cabin. Servos at the aft end of the cabin.

The nose was made from a pill bottle with screw thread cut off, a slit down the side and a hole in the bottom. Retained by a sliver of bamboo through the bottom aft corners and goes against the underside of the fuselage.

Firewall - a bit of plywood with at least 2 degrees to the right and note the downward angle via the foam nose shape.
May 16, 2019, 04:23 AM
I have J-Bug FF on the PDF, "J-bug Full Fuselage".

Another picture to possible make things clearer. In this one the to retaining bungies are black. There are more bits of bamboo stuck around them than necessary. Only the little fore and aft ones needed, just under the bungy before going through the holes. Those bungies simply go through holes in the wing down to the retaining pins.

Some unattractive Gorilla glue visible. I now use sand-able PVA which generally isn't seen.

The J-Bug has a large under fin. I don't know how necessary it is for performance. Obviously another without it and a prettier fin should be "in the pipeline".
May 20, 2019, 06:16 AM
Thank You Mac50L very nice of you. Your model reminds me of the Great Planes Flylite
May 20, 2019, 06:11 PM
Lutin - yes, a bit like it and I think if I keep going with modifications, get closer to it. With the Flylite and original J-Bug especially, that nose is too short so everything has to be mounted against the firewall. A longer nose makes it easier to balance things.

What looks like a constant chord wing on the Flylite is the other wing I've fitted and flown with too.

The same applies to the Dart-XS which I've built a few with longer noses.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:00 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Cut parts for J-Bug today, built one wing ribs on, phone rang, made coffee, phone
rang again, now where was I ?, ah yes the other wing. Started adding ribs, you
guessed it, ended up with R.H. wing x 2.
Suppose just have to make 2xL.H., cut other parts and make 2 JB's.
(only fear is I end up with 4 R.H. wing panels! )
Thanks for tip on lengthening nose Mac50, not sure which motor will go on yet,
but the longer nose will help with equipment positioning.

cheers
Jun 10, 2019, 11:46 PM
The J-Bug FF with the fin looking a bit small and a lot below the tailplane (stabiliser). I had for some reason originally made a tailplane and a half. That half is now the fin and rudder. The rudder with a little bit more area than the half elevator. The under-fin mostly removed. Flies nicely, either totally docile or loops and rolls all over the place with full throttle and full rudder and elevator.

As for H1958D, with all of those wings you have lots of options, a standard J-Bug, an FF Bug, and a spare for a spare, etc.

Quick Reply