Nov 30, 2009, 02:28 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
Thread OP
Discussion

Walkera U Fly - ***Mods, Upgrades & Flight Vids***

I just got a call from my friends at Wow and they are nice enough to let me have one of four Ufly's that they just got in!!! I will be picking it up later today to do some test flights and will post what I honestly think of the heli as soon as I get some flights in. BTW, that means they have only 3 left in "stock". So if you are interested in this heli, you might want to contact them and reserve it. They will be listed later today on their site. More info to come...
Last edited by dkfuji; Dec 02, 2009 at 01:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2009, 04:12 PM
WooHoo!!
Please post on how it flies...it's got the #1 spot on my christmas list.
Nov 30, 2009, 05:07 PM
We waiting.......
I'm between this and CB100.
Nov 30, 2009, 05:55 PM
i bought the ufly at the chicago hobby show, it was there display. they gave me a good deal. i really wanted the 4g6 but they sold it to someone else. the guys from walkera barely speeked any english. i have powered the heli up in my living room but im affraid to really get it off the ground with my lack of experience. the heli came with no info. im not even sure on how long to charge the lipo pack? the heli also has a issue with the brushless motor last time i tried to play with it the motor wouldnt work, i think the canister is loose from the armature and that needs to be tightned up. i can take some pictures later if people want. does anyone have any other info on this helicopter?

thanks
rick
Nov 30, 2009, 08:14 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Here is a manual http://www.walkera.com/en1/download.jsp?proId=Z7
Nov 30, 2009, 08:15 PM
Dangit dkfuji...how about opinions on this thing!!
Nov 30, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
I have now flown 4 complete packs through her and here is what I have found so far. Flight times seem to be around 7mins with the stock 800mah pack and more like 9mins with the Hyperion G3 450mah wired in series (900mah 25c 7.4v). I like these packs since it only takes 10mins to charge at 5c rate. Hovering is way too simple. Just add throttle and up she goes. No left hand dive, just hovering. There is plenty of torque generated by the stock BL 4000kv motor and punching it will send it skyward pretty quick. Not as quick as my 4G6 FP, but definitely fast enough to save her in a bad situation. The tail is pretty solid. Not what I would call rock solid, but good enough for this kind of mild flyer. I ended up turning the gyro gain up on the Rx to the edge of tail wag to keep the heli solid in flight and thru left and right hand banking turns. The shaft drive tail is simple (a larger version of the 4G6) and works very smoothly. i have a slight head vibration which I think is due to blade balancing so I will work on that later. I would have loved to go full FFF but without parts available, I will save that for another day. It is definitely way more maneuverable and agile than the 180D. No comparison really. Obviously, that is due to the 90* bell-hiller flybar head design versus the 45* bell head on the 180. Personally, I love the way this heli handles for a FP flyer. I am not big on FP but I do know how to fly one around a bit and I can tell you this is the best Walkera one I have flown to date. Here is a short vid of it outdoors. Sweet!!!

Walkera Ufly FP Test Flight (1 min 43 sec)
Nov 30, 2009, 08:25 PM
So how long before Walkera announces a CP version?
Nov 30, 2009, 08:35 PM
MFSmaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin
So how long before Walkera announces a CP version?
That'd be HM 1#A with a shaft drive. The CP rotor head parts are practically available now, unless they have different shaft diameter & pin hole location. Quick eyeballing from walkera website looks like the UFly's have slimmer shaft. Funny how the latest developments are back to shaft/tt drives: Gaui 200 SX(cmiiw), Align 450 Pro, now Walkeras. If CP U-Fly can do 520mm rotordisc with 325g AUW, that'd be a lightweight killer machine - a mini Maxir/Ricco.
Last edited by mprasm; Nov 30, 2009 at 08:43 PM.
Nov 30, 2009, 08:36 PM
for some reason my motor was not meshed up with the main gear right which was causing the motor to bind up with the gear, i loosend it up and re meshed it and it seems fine. on initial start up it seems to have a little shake but im thinking thats from the blades straightning out? sorry im a noob. i tried to hover it in the bed room but had no luck i hit the bed and need new blades doe!
Nov 30, 2009, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprasm
That'd that HM 1#A with a shaft drive. The CP rotor head parts are practically available now, unless they have different shaft diameter & pin hole location. Quick eyeballing from walkera website looks like they UFly's have slimmer shaft. Funny how the latest developments are back to shaft/tt drives: Gaui 200 SX(cmiiw), Align 450 Pro, now Walkeras.
You are correct. I worked on desertflyer1's 1#A and the mainshaft is larger in diameter than the Ufly. However, I am sure there may be compatible parts to build a CP head for this heli out there somewhere (new project?). Anyway, I think 1 reason for the TT designs is the ability to have the tail maintain rotation and not put as much resistance on a belt. That resistance would have kept the 4G6 from being such a good flyer that it is. From flying the larger E and nitro helis (T500, T600, T600N, Vibe 50, Synergy N9, etc) the shaft drive does give less friction and makes auto-rotation nice and smooth with less HS loss. So I got to think that with these small BL motors, the less resistance, the better.
Nov 30, 2009, 10:17 PM
Sounds Good Darryl,
We will have the UFLY in stock this Wednesday.
So you will have the one from Us Soon!
Cheers, JohnW
Nov 30, 2009, 10:46 PM
Jesus Freak
ahhh come on Darryl, I was expecting a skip off the ground

oh yeah, dips on it when you get tired of it
Dec 01, 2009, 03:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
ahhh come on Darryl, I was expecting a skip off the ground

oh yeah, dips on it when you get tired of it
Sorry bud. No pavement skipping this time. I also have upgraded this model to an AR6100 and MKS191 HH Gyro and flew it with my JR9303. Whew!!! She is real flyer now. IMO, this heli flies very nice stock right out of the box. I just end up mod'g stuff because I can. LOL.
Dec 01, 2009, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
I will be getting my other Ufly later this week so I can make a comparison between the totally stock set-up and going separates. Should be interesting...Wonder what a bigger BL main would do for this heli. Hmmmm

Quick Reply