Nov 30, 2009, 12:06 AM
Thread OP
Gallery

Scratch built submarine

just wanted to show off my scratch built RC submarine. took about 3 or 4 months but 2 of those months i was out of work so all i had was time. came out pretty good for being my first sub and all. i have build pictures i will put them up when i put them on the computer.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2009, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
here are some videos of my sub running in the local pond. the first one is when she was still in primer and still working out alot of the little issues, and the other is when it is completely done except for the ballast system which i am still fabricating. both of the video my younger brother is driving i need to teach him how to operate the camera instead of my sub.

RC Submarine Homemade (1 min 8 sec)

RC submarine (1 min 16 sec)

Also here are some build pictures as well.
Dec 01, 2009, 07:33 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Cool! Looks like a pregnant Alfa.
Dec 01, 2009, 08:59 PM
Great build. Kinda reminds me of those egg-shaped model planes.
Looks a bit stern heavy, nothing a little foam or ballast shifting can't fix.
Dec 02, 2009, 12:07 AM
Thread OP
she is a little stern heavy right now but it dosent have a ballast system in it yet, and the only way to keep it under water is to trim it like that but i hope to put a snort air ballast system in before summer. if i do take the weight out of the stern or put more foam in there the nose dives down and then it nose dives when i try to dive, am i doing something wrong or do i just need to find that perfect amount of foam and weight?
Last edited by 3prongcoolness; Dec 02, 2009 at 01:08 AM.
Dec 02, 2009, 03:46 AM
any photos of the insides? Very much interested in the sealing method and motor you're using.
Dec 02, 2009, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
only one pic of inside right now made the wtc out of lexan i know everybody is using tubes but i like the idea of a box it just seemed easier to build and put electronics in, so far havent had any problems. right now im just using a cheap low rpm motor from aqua craft but eventually i want to put something better in so hopefully before next summer.

since this pic i have put in a Sambra labs receiver and did a little bit different placement with wires but its pretty much the same now as in the pic.
Dec 10, 2009, 11:51 PM
Thread OP
here is some new pictures of the sub. i made new stern planes and put in some new electronics along with a dual battery connector so i can run two batteries at once for longer run time. so far everything works great only had it in the hot tub...... pool has been closed all this week due to snow days. so hopefully tomorrow i can really test it out.

T
Dec 11, 2009, 02:19 AM
Pretty damn good for your first sub. Keep going and learning and have fun with it.
Dec 12, 2009, 01:28 AM
Thread OP
thanks.........i look forward to building more i already have ideas of how i can make the next one bigger and better.
Dec 15, 2009, 01:24 AM
Thread OP
finally got a little clip of a underwater video im going to do some editing and make a longer video but here is a little sneak peak.

RC sub under water (0 min 20 sec)
Dec 15, 2009, 09:10 AM
very nice!
Dec 15, 2009, 10:02 PM
pushing the envelope
nice
Dec 16, 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm amazed how you maintained a nice level submerged run.
Dec 18, 2009, 08:35 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
defo got russian lines, looks nice.

Quick Reply