Nov 29, 2009, 10:49 AM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
Discussion

Need help choosing a offroad vehicle for fpv

I have never owned a hobby grade r/c car or truck before and after watching a few fpv videos I think I would like to have one.

I would like some suggestions of vehicles that are pretty fast, can handle rough terrain and come with a controller that I can hook my Scherrer LRS up to. I'd like to keep the price under $350.

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Hmmm, probably lots to choose from.

Are you looking for 4WD for the rough terrain?

The Traxxas Summit would be cool, (its been done) but over your budget.

Same with the E-Maxx. A bit over your budget.

Lots of 2WD stuff to choose from tho....
Nov 29, 2009, 11:18 AM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
I live on a golf course that is surrounded by housing and woods. I just want to have some fun exploring around. I'll spend more if I have to I guess.

One of my fun plans is to mount my gen 2 night vision monocular on it and focus a camera through it. Should be fun.
Nov 29, 2009, 12:07 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right.....

The Traxxas Summit works well. Remote locking diffs, Led lights, High/Low tranny, Water Proof, Ground clearance, 4X4, 70+ minutes of run time " with 8000mah lipo" etc. The truck has a Lotta tork and can go just about anywhere. I know its about $125.00 more than you wanted to spend but I just cant say enough about this truck for FPV.

Nov 29, 2009, 01:50 PM
you can get emaxx's for about 320 new on ebay. fun to drive, tough, and most hobby stores carry replacement parts. i think the 3905 is also waterproof. i've got a really old e-maxx thats still going strong and i just bought a savage flux last week that is a lot of fun (about twice the speed of my emaxx) but also about twice the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-E-Maxx-1...item5ad538bd2b
Nov 29, 2009, 02:29 PM
One thing you'll often find with RTR 4x4's is that for the base price you get a
truck that'll be adequate but not great, and you'll end up replacing a lot of
parts to make it better. The Traxxas Summit seems to put that extra initial cost
to good use, and you get a truck that's pretty solid right from the start.
It's not the very best crawler or the fastest truck, but it has a good combination
of both.

ian
Nov 29, 2009, 03:08 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
The Summit does look really really fun. I'm not sure if I am prepared to build and setup a equivalent truck myself so it's very tempting.

Would I be able to install my LRS receiver in the truck or is it using some non standard gear?
Nov 29, 2009, 08:58 PM
IMO land based FPV isnt about speed, its about discovery/adventure. With that in mind I've been looking at crawlers to do about the same thing your looking to do.

Head into a canyon or cave and see whats there....
Nov 29, 2009, 09:04 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72
I live on a golf course that is surrounded by housing and woods. I just want to have some fun exploring around. I'll spend more if I have to I guess.

One of my fun plans is to mount my gen 2 night vision monocular on it and focus a camera through it. Should be fun.
I love the night vision idea, I have Night Cougar Night Vision goggle, I am going to try that.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/atn-nvig...ghtcougar.html
Nov 29, 2009, 09:12 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
Night vision is really fun. I'm using the GT14 right now.

http://www.opticshq.com/Merchant2/me...potting-Scopes
Nov 29, 2009, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
I used the head gear that came with my NV goggle to mount my FPV goggles.
Nov 29, 2009, 10:01 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right.....
(HD) FPV / RPV Traxxas Summit bashing in the snow (1 min 45 sec)
Nov 29, 2009, 11:10 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
This is an old vid...

Kinda crappy vid... I did this about 2 years ago...

(2 min 40 sec)
Dec 24, 2009, 10:49 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
I got a blue summit for Christmas.
Jan 08, 2010, 12:46 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
I'm going to FPV my AX10 corpion from inside the cab with a 93' Chevy Blazer monster truck body. This truck goes just about anywhere and will run about a hour on a 2400 6 cell NIMH. it has full functioning head, brake, tail, and running lights.

Sorry about the poor photo quality.

Quick Reply