Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by kadil
unconventional :-)
Discussion

Tools - cutter, sander, drill combo

Years ago recall seeing television advertisements for work centers that had a table saw, sanding disc and drill all in one neat (albeit cheap) device. I was think this might be a useful item for foamie construction. I googled it but cannot find any trace. Does anyone know what these things were called or if they still sell them?

I think the table saw was an inverted jigsaw, and the sanding disc has a platform so you could hold pieces at right angles to the disc?
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by space 1
popular science & mechanics illustratet
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by DaDesign
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
Shopsmith??

http://www.shopsmith.com/
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by philba
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
A friend had a shopsmith. Probably the biggest gripe against it is the set up time for a given tool. If you have to switch between tools, it can get very tedious. Couple that with a really high price. If you are just doing modeling and other small projects, you can get a scroll saw, small benchtop drill press and small disc sander for fairly cheap. It will take up about the same amount of space. If you have the space, toss in a small bandsaw and you will have a nice shop for modeling for a LOT less than a shopsmith.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by kadil
the one I saw was more of a toy, but would be durable working with foam
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by DaDesign
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
If you are just doing modeling and other small projects, you can get a scroll saw, small benchtop drill press and small disc sander for fairly cheap. It will take up about the same amount of space. If you have the space, toss in a small bandsaw and you will have a nice shop for modeling for a LOT less than a shopsmith.
This is what I did. Works great! Also if one tool breaks you only replace that tool but mine has been working fine forever. You don't use them all that much at a time.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 01:58 AM
Find More Posts by kadil
is it worth mounting a jigsaw upside-down under the bench and using a thin blade to do the work of a band saw? Not ideal I know, but various woodworkers around the net seem to have done this.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:41 AM
Find More Posts by philba
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
more like a poor man's scroll saw. You would need to make a hold down and a blower to clear sawdust away would be very useful.

Decent (though not great) scroll saws can be had for <$100. Harbor Freight has one for $79.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Crash Master
My little 10" band saw is one of the most-used power tools I have on the bench. I had a local blade repair house make me a combination blade so I can cut wood, plastick or metal (32tpi, IIRC)
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Foam Av8r
I Loves my little Dremmel and my router and other attatchments, these things are very versatile for working with foam
I also have one set up with a flex shaft which is also very handy.