Thread Tools
Nov 26, 2009, 07:05 PM
Registered User
Discussion

Best receiver for FPV


I am planning on getting the Futaba 9c to use with my FPV plane. What is the best reciever I can get to use with this radio (PPM or PCM, it doesn't matter). I have read some good reviews about the Corona RP8D1, but I have also read that it is very glitchy. Any suggestions?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2009, 08:03 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
EyeFlyPlanes's Avatar
Yep go with the corona, inexpensive & you will love it. Just picked up one for My 9c and I was convinced after reports of up to 3 miles glitch free. Also another huge tip, use a 3 cell lipo in the transmitter and you'll get a stronger transmission, up to 20% farther.
Nov 26, 2009, 08:28 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
Bonafidepirate's Avatar
I like the RP8D1, so far I've tried a Futaba FP-R127DF, a Hitec Electron 6, and the Corona RP8D1, and the corona is the best of the lot, closely followed by the Electron. The Futaba was good, but easily affected by EMI/RF noise on the plane.

I just paid for a used Futaba R149DP PCM receiver to try out. I've often heard PPM is better, you have more warning signs that you're getting out of range than the sudden drop off with PCM, but I've also been reading of 8km flights with the R149DP, so I thought I'd give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, I've got a couple large planes that need a receiver, it'll find a home either way...
Nov 26, 2009, 08:39 PM
Suspended Account
I use the Futaba R149DP PCM receiver on both my FPV planes and I love them.
Nov 26, 2009, 09:12 PM
JettPilot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post

I've often heard PPM is better, you have more warning signs that you're getting out of range than the sudden drop off with PCM,
That is an old wives tale There is no better warning of getting on the edge of your range than seeing your plane go into failsafe. PCM with the failsafes set correctly is a minimum for FPV flight, its much better to have all controls go to neutral and have the plane go into a slow glide, with a slight up elevator in failsafe than have them go crazy like would happen with PPM. I have flown as much FPV as anyone and more than most, and I would NEVER fly FPV without a PCM receiver without properly set failsafes.

Mike
Nov 26, 2009, 09:30 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
Bonafidepirate's Avatar
I certainly agree about having a failsafe, but the RP8D1 has it on all channels as well. I've never had to use it yet though, thankfully...
Nov 27, 2009, 05:01 PM
Registered User
bump
Nov 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
aaron_gx's Avatar
my rp8d1 is great. i love the synth feature, and the failsafe. i thought my berg7p was a cool PPM reciever, but the corona far exceeds the berg, and is literally 1/2 the price (and no crystal to buy).

I heard extending the antenna is helpful in extending range also, there is a thread going on about it somewhere here...
Nov 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
Registered User
kason's Avatar
i'm wondering would it be able to let those osd detect rc link lost.
i know it's not ppm and can't set fail-safe like pcm does. however, it does have it's own
fail-safe switch. any ideas?
Nov 28, 2009, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
my rp8d1 is great. i love the synth feature, and the failsafe. i thought my berg7p was a cool PPM reciever, but the corona far exceeds the berg, and is literally 1/2 the price (and no crystal to buy).

I heard extending the antenna is helpful in extending range also, there is a thread going on about it somewhere here...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953701
Dec 09, 2009, 05:08 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kason View Post
i'm wondering would it be able to let those osd detect rc link lost.
i know it's not ppm and can't set fail-safe like pcm does. however, it does have it's own
fail-safe switch. any ideas?
Hi Kason,

I've created a thread regarding fail safe and RVOSD here. You might check it to see if anyone has a solution.
Dec 09, 2009, 08:49 AM
Registered User
gaviator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
That is an old wives tale There is no better warning of getting on the edge of your range than seeing your plane go into failsafe. PCM with the failsafes set correctly is a minimum for FPV flight, its much better to have all controls go to neutral and have the plane go into a slow glide, with a slight up elevator in failsafe than have them go crazy like would happen with PPM. I have flown as much FPV as anyone and more than most, and I would NEVER fly FPV without a PCM receiver without properly set failsafes.

Mike
+1

I had such a situations both with PPM and PCM. PCM was better for recovery... predictable. Just rise your Radio Tx antenna ahead immediately after loss of signal and you should gain it back soon.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Best for Fpv - Ezstar or Twinstar? EyeFlyPlanes FPV Talk 30 Mar 12, 2010 03:57 PM
Discussion Which is the best receiver for sailplanes? dimbohall Sailplane Talk 6 Nov 16, 2009 12:56 PM
Question Best Slow and Stable FPV Platform? SSM FPV Talk 20 Sep 17, 2009 07:02 PM
Question Best FPV set up? flyboy321 FPV Talk 27 Sep 06, 2009 10:14 AM
Discussion Best motor for fpv easy star Manic Flyer FPV Talk 42 Dec 16, 2008 03:45 PM