May 03, 2003, 11:49 PM

Carbon Falcon... A Winner! II

As suggested, the other thread is getting quite large so here's a fresh one dedicated to this remarkable plane. Ken Hill's innovative design is a great flying, easily transportable wing that can be folded-up and packed into a 3" tube in under 3 minutes. Nearly indestructable, it is also an excellent trainer. Not just for aileron or flying wings, (I've recently taken to calling it my "Tilde trainer") But also for the beginning RC pilot. It can be used to thrash around the local park, soar on thermals, and to keep in the trunk for anytime flying. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite planes.

Carbon Falcon:
http://www.acesim.com/rc/p2/p2.html

"Carbon Falcon... A Winner!" (First Ezone thread):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=75895

"Carbon Falcon Flies in Zagi Winds" (Another great Ezone thread):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=84237

And a pic of mine...
Happy Flying,

Bob
Last edited by MooseFlyR; May 03, 2003 at 11:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2003, 12:20 AM
Makes a nice wall hanging also!

Thanks for all the good words! I'll continue to do my best to stay on top of any questions anyone might have.

Ken
May 04, 2003, 12:41 AM

Carbon Falcon

I'm resisting buying a second Falcon.. but its really difficult to restrain the urge. I flew mine this afternoon in wind that was way too stiff and had a ball just making it hover and then do helicopter descents. Too much fun!
May 04, 2003, 02:07 AM

CF flames

Moose:

Just curious about the type of material? you used to create and stick onto your CF, is it material, decal/stickers or magic marker?

Designs are cool, but sticking them to material (and getting them to stay could be tricky!

thanks!

Phil
Phil@KitesPlus.com
May 04, 2003, 10:41 PM
Phil, It is the same ripstop nylon tape that Ken uses normally for his stripes. Preliminary tests indicate vinyl might just work as well. The Falcons & flames were cut on a Stika vinyl cutter.

Bob
May 05, 2003, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the new thread.
May 05, 2003, 04:34 PM
Need to subcribe to this thread if I want to be informed of new posts, so I will do it by posting a link to a new info page I made about the props I have been using and the modification I have done to my two Carbon Falcons.
http://www.southokanagan.biz/CFsetup/index.html
May 06, 2003, 12:41 AM

several items

Several items:

Moose: thanks for the flames info

Randal: thanks for the pics on the web of your M100 setup and chopped SAIL!? Brave soul!

Randal, the picture on your site: main web page

Was it an aerial shot from an RC plane? maybe even a CF?? It is a Beatutiful shot! I'm hoping/planning to take some live video when I get my setup and CG perfected.

We had WONDER weather early this am, (no wind!- good for trial flights!) but I had to head to work.. Maybe tomorrow!

Phil
Phil@kitesPlus.com
Last edited by PhilK; May 06, 2003 at 12:44 AM.
May 06, 2003, 01:19 AM
PhilK
My arial photos were taken from my form my full size Carbon Falcon (hang glider)

Here are a few more photos from that flight http://www.southokanagan.biz/arialshots/

This link zooms in on the bowl where I live and the area where I often fly my FC http://www.southokanagan.biz/zoomin/
Just click on the box area

Can't afford any micro cameras for my RC planes at this point in time, but maybe one day
May 06, 2003, 01:36 AM

Aerial photo's

Aerial photo's and the CF

Randall thanks for sharing REAL nice photo's.. but I thought you wanted to keep the hands on the steering wheel when flying a full-sized CF!!!

I was and am planning to shoot live, remote video from my CF, the video, transmitter etc weighs 2oz, and with 1200mah li-poly's I was hoping to balance the wing, similar to a full sized battery.

First things first, I'll get my cf flying, understand its flying characteristics, then take my live video feed airborne (I hear a live video feed costs less than a full-sized CF.... but priorities, eh?

I have to give you LOTS of credit, I like my feet on the ground and CF in the air, versus a full sized CF, COOL! but ouch!

thanks! Phil
phil@kitesplus.com
May 06, 2003, 01:55 AM
Phil, is that the one from Plantraco? If so I think it only have a 100ft range. To bad too - nice and light.
May 06, 2003, 02:18 AM

cf video

I have the 2.4 mhz, 100mw version With ccd, not nasty old cmos.

blackwidow-av

he has 'parts' and complete flying solutions, too.

Phil
Phil@KitesPlus.com
May 06, 2003, 02:39 AM
"HAM radio license is required to operate these units in the U.S."

Leaves me out. Maybe the 10mw system they have coming out won't need it.

Think you can get the required power from the flight pack? Guess the BEC will cut out from whatever dropped the voltage and you could run it from the ESC rec. source.

Looks cool!
May 06, 2003, 09:10 AM

Ham licence is required

Yes, I have a Ham licence, required in the USA, for the unit I have. A no-code ham licence is required.

I studied for three days, took the test and passed. KD7QFQ.
I had some electronics background going for me, but it wasn't too bad!

I took the test, because I wanted to transmit live video from my rc-plane, crazy, eh?

I actually purchase it first, not knowing that I had to have a ham licence, and then got the licence to be 'legal'.

SuperCircuits also as small, affordable units with less power that don't require a ham licence.

Yes, I used to run a separate battery for the camera, but yes I am plannig to run off the receiver. I will have to minimized my flight time, so I don't run into low-power flights, but who wants to watch 40 minutes of the same stuff!?

I like the fact that the CF is VERY portable, and can carry video as well. I have mounted an extra 5 oz of camera, (size of a quarter) transmitter, power-supply and a 3oz receiver battery and flown it on lots of RC planes.

zagi-cam setup and video

As soon as my confidence level, and setup is complete to 'fly', and I have a better understanding of the cg.. then I can and will maintain the same 'cg, and mount light video components.

There WILL-be video and pictures of the setup at that time.
I'm looking forward to the smaller, and lighter 200mw version which due out soon!

L8r! Phil
Phil@KitesPlus.com
May 06, 2003, 10:51 AM
Phil
That blackwidow-av seems to have some nice camera equipment, I'm especially keen on the wide angle camera. I also like the fact that those units have audio too. Many of those remote mini cams don't.
Mounting the camera to the CF would be cool. I look forward to seeing some video when you get it.
I have a question though, can you power the camera and transmitter directly off the li-poly batteries. It seems the transmitters for those cameras use either 5 or 12 volts, most RC electric batteries applications use voltages in between there?

Quote:
but I thought you wanted to keep the hands on the steering wheel when flying a full-sized CF!!!
You are right, it is best to keep both hands on the control bar (steering wheel) especially in turbulence, but in calm air it is possible to let go with both hands for short periods and you can go for even longer periods with one hand on the control bar.

It's been years since I shot any video from my hang glider, sort of a been there done that, type of thing. Now I'm happy to take the digital camera along when I fly just to get those aerial shots when the opportunity arises. I have an online video converted to Flash 6 if your interested. You need high bandwidth to view this video properly so it streams,,, Oh and you may need Flash 6 player installed on your machine if you don't have it already.
http://southokanagan.biz/video/whitelk.html