Nov 24, 2009, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fun Scale 60" Hawker Hurricane

For my next project, I wanted to do something scale, but fun and relaxing to build and fly. Recently I have been interested in free flight aircraft and their construction techniques. The design for the Hurricane started several years back and I have been plugging away here and there at it ever since. After watching the “Battle of Britain” for close to the 100th time (its getting so I know the German lines at this point), I was intrigued by how effortlessly the Spits and Hurri’s landed. So my new design focus was this: to get a sport scale model to fly with as light as possible in wing loading. My goal was 10 ounces per foot. Not difficult if you are building a Pico Moth, but this model has a wingspan of 60 inches. The result I ended up with is a simple structure to build (I hope ) and that will still resemble a full size airplane. The construction methods are really no different than most models. The prototype will not have any sheeting, but the basic design lends itself very easily to adaptations by the builder. The prototype features mechanical retracts, but one could easily add flaps and other scale details such as filling in the areas sheeted on the full size. The airframe could easily accommodate sheeting up to 3/32” with out any significant modifications. So enough about the design (for now), lets get to some of the building!

D-Rock
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2009, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
I sent the parts off to Charlie and Vicki at Manzano Laser and got them back in no time. Their work with the laser is fantastic, and their wood selection is excellent. I first laid out the part sheets and using masking tape, labeled each part accordingly. I like to start the build off with a basic structure, so I started with the horizontal stabilizer. It is very basic in construction and ends up being very light. Later in construction I will add stringers on the top and bottom to be sanded to a basic airfoil shape. Again, should the builder want to go more scale, it can be partially sheeted with up to 3/32” balsa according to 3-views.
Nov 24, 2009, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
The fuse is next. As with my I-16 and similar Guillows’ models, the fuse is built in halves over a keel. I started by pinning and gluing the keel parts over the plans (be sure to place wax paper down first). Using a square or 90 degree triangle, start by gluing on the left half of the formers. Be sure to be aware of the wing saddle when attaching formers 4, 5, and 6. Continue with the rest of the formers. The next step was the cross pieces on the vertical and rudder and these are just 1/8” x 1/4” cut to length. A 1/8” square piece of balsa is glued to the rear of the vertical before the rudder is cut free.
Nov 24, 2009, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
Stringers are the next step and require a decision. If one wants a more scale model or one that can handle more stress, I would suggest using 1/8” sqr. basswood stringers. On the prototype I used 1/8” sqr. balsa for the stringers. The basswood will add some weight, but will make the structure more rigid. In either set-up, I suggest gluing only a few stringers on one side, just enough to help hold the assembly together before taking it off the board and adding the other former halves. Before I added the other halves I added the hatch rails. After gluing the remaining formers in place and adding a few stringers to the other side, the remaining stringers can be glued in place. To help prevent warping, I pinned my fuse to the table over the center-line indicated on the plan. This worked well and I used scrap balsa to help keep it in alignment as I added the rest of the stringers. One neat thing about this project is I got to use my balsa stripper for the first time. I was able to cut enough stringers from one sheet to complete the fuse. The fuse at this point is nearly done. I have done some light sanding and there is a little more to go, but this is a good time to set it aside and start on the wing (I’ll get back to the fuse later).
Nov 24, 2009, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
As it sites right now, the fuse weighs 2.8 ounces. All that is left so far as construction is to glue on the firewall and the blocks for the nose. The vertical and rudder will also get the same stringer treatment as the horizontal. The sub-fin and tail wheel assembly along with the servos will be installed later. Work on this wing will be done over the holiday weekend .

D-Rock
Nov 24, 2009, 09:48 PM
Oh no, not again!
Very cool, D-Rock. 10 oz/ft? Where are the helium tanks? This will be fun to watch. Regards, Jeff
Nov 25, 2009, 12:56 AM
jerryballs
Derek,
You need to build a whole squadron of these to fly protection for the Lancaster!
Can't wait to see this one in the air!
Nov 25, 2009, 01:24 AM
Paul Kohlmann
Stringers. I like it!

Paul
Nov 25, 2009, 11:54 AM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Wow, Very cool. Sounds like a great size. I have a set of Mark Rittinger' s Hurricane plans . I need a good Hurricane. Will be watching close as your work is always impressive. Look forward to that perfect landing by Air Vice-Marshal Park. Not officer Archie's spit landing "Spring chicken to shitehawk in one easy lesson" - I also have a worn copy of T BOB.

Mark
Nov 25, 2009, 12:03 PM
O.K. D-Rock,
You know I have to watch.
I assume you will have this one ready for the AZ Electric Festival?

Victor
Nov 25, 2009, 01:00 PM
Super!
Looks great D-Rock. Have you decided on a power system? The three blad prop from the ParkZone 109 might work and look ok.

Keep posting pictures --Stacker
Nov 25, 2009, 02:14 PM
This rocks. I love this plane. Did you make your own plans? If so will you be publishing them or allowing Charlie to cut kits?
Nov 25, 2009, 03:23 PM
Neophyte hacker
If Derek gets this one ready it will be a kit. Really my favorite warbird. Mine will get the full treatment, flaps and retracts and sheeting where scale.

charlie
Nov 25, 2009, 04:48 PM
It flew once before...
Derek ,

I'm liking this !!! Big ...stick and tissue contruction ...YEAH !

-John
Nov 25, 2009, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the encouragement guys . To answer a couple of the questions posted, as Charlie mentioned my plan is to offer this one through them (Manzano Laser). Like Charlie mentioned, the options are open as to how one might dress her up. For power, I have a Turnigy 900Kv outrunner that should be more than enuff on 3 cells. I am going to try and swing a 3 blade prop, prolly in the 11"-12" diameter range. My plan is to try and get her done within the next couple of weeks so the AZ Electric Festival is a real possibility. I hope to post a few more pics tonight if time permits.

D-Rock

Quick Reply