Mar 05, 2012, 04:07 AM
I didn't think it'd do that
Last edited by omelette; Jan 27, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2012, 05:10 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette
If you can make it to the 2:15 mark hold out for another couple of seconds, there's a ball tearer spiral to finish with.

Andy
Dude, that was a classic spin. Low airspeed and high angle of attack = stall and spin.

I've seen a few of these with the SW, it must be a bit prone tip stalls. Flying a model is no different to flying full size, the same flight recovery procedures need to be followed.

Recovery from a spin as follows:

1. Release elevator (don't pull up, it won't recover if you do).
2. Apply opposite rudder to stop spin rotation.
3. Allow airspeed to increase
4. Now pull back 'gently' OR you will need to start back at point 1.

All this requires practice and nerves of steel, I recommend you give it a try at high alt, it might save a model
Last edited by Peril; Mar 05, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Mar 05, 2012, 07:14 AM
The Flying Circus
Well, the BIGASS passed its first flight test with flying colours!
Unfortunately the DVD burner is one step closer to the bin, as it crapped out before I even started, arguing with me about colour mode selected. It wasn't happy with PAL, and it wasn't happy with NTSC. All my gear is PAL, and its never pulled this one before. Just wouldn't record anything, and changing settings, disks and power cycle did nothing. So I missed out on the capturing the inaugural flight.

My concerns about thrust were unfounded, as it seems happy to cruise with 15A, and climbs well enough with full power. Might still mess with props, but its ok as is.

The only real concern was the half baked tip fins I added. These were too thin, and not secured well, so were prone to flutter at anything over cruise speed. I managed a 40 odd min flight to 1100 ft and about 1.5 miles, then RTH tested ok. The other issue was getting down, as she doesn't yet have airbrakes, and I was very limited in how much speed I could apply without ripping off the fins. Eventually I found sink and she settled back down, with one fin hanging by a thread.
Currently re doing the fins, and fitting up some brakes.
Hope to test again this weekend, weather permitting.
Cheers
Frank
Mar 05, 2012, 07:31 AM
Beyond the BlackStump
Nice work Frank.

I just got home tonight and have a couple of weeks off so let me know if you are going out, i would love to see the new addition to your fleet.

PS. I have a Zephyr on the way
Mar 05, 2012, 02:43 PM
Suspended Account
What!! No video!! Oh man, how devastating ;-(... Hopefully next time.. Well done on the maiden though ;-)
Mar 05, 2012, 03:35 PM

First sunny day in a week

thought I'd checkout the Shoalhaven....easterly gusted in halfway thru the flight..
this is the low def version....the original 937Meg waaay to big for my PP(p*ss poor)
internet connection...
Shoalhaven River in flood (5 min 57 sec)
Mar 05, 2012, 03:41 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette
Yeah, that ship only had a little over an hour flight time. Almost put all my gear on eBay. At least I've got the wing to fang with, I'll get another SW soon when the grieving finishes.
do you know what went wrong dude?
Mar 05, 2012, 04:00 PM
The Flying Circus
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-plater
Nice work Frank.

I just got home tonight and have a couple of weeks off so let me know if you are going out, i would love to see the new addition to your fleet.

PS. I have a Zephyr on the way
Hi Alastair,
Ok I will keep in touch. Long weekend, plus I have next Wed off so theres surely going to be at least one good day in there.
Could you toss in my spare goggles too? I have another mate who is looking to borrow them.
Cheers
Frank
Mar 05, 2012, 04:14 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by muduck
thought I'd checkout the Shoalhaven....easterly gusted in halfway thru the flight..
this is the low def version....the original 937Meg waaay to big for my PP(p*ss poor)
internet connection...
http://vimeo.com/37976729
nice one..
Mar 05, 2012, 05:27 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn
Hi Alastair,
Ok I will keep in touch. Long weekend, plus I have next Wed off so theres surely going to be at least one good day in there.
Could you toss in my spare goggles too? I have another mate who is looking to borrow them.
Cheers
Frank
I'll get them back from Andrew and drop them to you ASAP.

Cheers,
Al
Mar 05, 2012, 05:48 PM
thats with the stock antenna, i also have the 5db antenna havent really tried it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc
Is that 3.9-4km with the stock 2dbi antenna? I have bought frsky module for my 9X and gonna get a 5dbi added to my order. From hobbyking.
this and this: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14349
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16670
Mar 05, 2012, 05:57 PM
Climbing the learning curve!
Any of you blokes done much range testing with the Turnigy 9X? I saw the DIY Frsky kits on HK, they sound popular for longer glitchless range. Might have to get one.. when I can eventually afford it. Just spent about $200 on FPV gear
Mar 05, 2012, 06:10 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Fnord
Any of you blokes done much range testing with the Turnigy 9X? I saw the DIY Frsky kits on HK, they sound popular for longer glitchless range. Might have to get one.. when I can eventually afford it. Just spent about $200 on FPV gear
Welcome to the FPV money pit lol
I have had 1km with my 9X so far, lost range only because antenna was pointing towards plane (worst signal) so my backup is lifting antenna back up. Good and easy redundancy. I have had the cheap flysky 6 channel from hobbyking to nearly 1.5km when I lost sight, could've gone further. They probably have the same RF module as 9X. Remember range is greater in open areas with no interference.
I have a frsky set coming soon, and a nova osd with RTH, so I can really start pushing my limits lol.
Mar 05, 2012, 06:47 PM
Climbing the learning curve!
Yeah nice. How much for Nova OSD? Let us knowhow it goes..
Mar 05, 2012, 06:53 PM
I need a bigger shed..
It was ~$125 AUD after conversion I think, with EMS shipping from himodel.
Its not the greatest RTH, but I only want it to turn my plane around and get back into signal, don't need autopilot or anything. Still has a lot of good features though.

Quick Reply