Aug 16, 2010, 12:41 AM
Build Something
The 9C (and the 10C I believe) is a module radio. That means that the basic model can be configured to run on any frequency including 40, 36, 72, 2.4 etc by just changing out the module.

If you buy a radio from overseas no problem, just buy a 36mhz module as well and do the swap when you get it.

Don't assume that you won't be shot down using any of the other frequencies because they are in use for other purposes in Australia. Check out the MAAA website if you want, but since it is so easy to change the frequency by just getting the appropriate module, why bother?

s.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2010, 03:13 AM
I recently bought a Futaba 10CAP (module/airplane) radio out of Hong Kong with a 35MHz module and Rx (etamiya.com). 10CAP and 10CHP are module radios (airplane/heli). The 10CAG and 10CHG are not module radios (fixed 2.4G sets). 35MHz egal here in Singapore but will need to change to 36 or 40MHz module if I move back to Brissy next year. I probably should have bought the 40MHz set which I think is is legal in Oz but not so common. Anyway it's an awsome radio. It only came with a fixed channel module and Rx though (not a synth system) which was a bit of a dissapointment when I opened the box but it was 100 bucks cheaper than elsewhere so... I have also bought a 2.4G Frsky module and lots of cheap Rxs for it from Hong Kong from rc-fans88.com for my foamys (not for FPV). Frsky works very well and many recommend it over other 2.4G module systems. I'm thinking about buying a 1W wifi booster for it and trying it for FPV. I have also bought one of the Corona RP6D1 35MHz synth Rxs from Hobbyking and it tunes into the fixed channel Tx module that came with my 10C. For me the Corona Rx works well for FPV and is heaps smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Futaba bricks. I'm thinking of getting a long range UHF system down the track. UHF appears to be the way to go for reliable range.
Last edited by Roo2; Aug 16, 2010 at 03:21 AM.
Aug 17, 2010, 01:11 AM
Cheers Guys for you help

but i think i am about to go crazy for trying to find a retailer who sells what i need, the radios i was looking at before where mode 2 and i need mode 1. All i want is a radio with 8 or 9 channels which is 36mhz which can support Head Tracking. Anyone got anything second hand???
Aug 17, 2010, 02:41 AM
Build Something
Don't worry about the mode. All the 9C and 10C radios can be swapped over between one of four modes. You just change a setting within the software, and then swap over the throttle ratchet and elevator centering spring. It is really easy and there are plenty of online tutorials if you are really stuck, but it is self explanatory as soon as you have the back off.

s.
Aug 17, 2010, 02:42 AM
g'day im a noob at this, what are your thoughts on the dragon link tx and rx long range system?
Aug 17, 2010, 03:15 AM
Hey Mr B, how are the bird attack videos coming?

Aug 17, 2010, 04:16 AM
CASA Certified RPAS Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan089
Cheers Guys for you help

but i think i am about to go crazy for trying to find a retailer who sells what i need, the radios i was looking at before where mode 2 and i need mode 1. All i want is a radio with 8 or 9 channels which is 36mhz which can support Head Tracking. Anyone got anything second hand???
Nathan, I will call FUTABA tomorrow and see what they have in stock!
Aug 17, 2010, 05:29 AM
Cheers Mongrel that would be hugely appreciated.

thanks subsonic i will keep that in mind if Mongrel does not have any luck with futaba.
Aug 17, 2010, 08:16 AM
Firepower
I am looking at getting another camera. This Sony one is great for $47 plus $3 insurance at 540 lines but a heavy metal case.

I already have one of these and it is a good clear camera but a bit under coloured.

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...y-0.01Lux.html

Anyone know of anything say smaller and lighter for about the same cost or dearer if necessary?
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 17, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
Aug 17, 2010, 06:45 PM
Flying White Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree
Hey Mr B, how are the bird attack videos coming?

hehe I have gotten some of the pieces from the video but as you know, I only recorded in low res so the quality isn't that good. I should have something to look at by Friday I would say atm.

There is some shots in there which the camera is looking straight at the eye of the bird which looks prety cool. This explains why there was a bit of turbulence in one paticular area doesn't it.

Might have to introduce the Mr_B Mascot in this video as the low res from this flight isn't enough to see all that well. We will have to wait & see what happens there.

Mr_B
8)
//
Aug 17, 2010, 06:49 PM
Flying White Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
I am looking at getting another camera. This Sony one is great for $47 plus $3 insurance at 540 lines but a heavy metal case.

I already have one of these and it is a good clear camera but a bit under coloured.

Anyone know of anything say smaller and lighter for about the same cost or dearer if necessary?
I think with the colour in these cameras you put a 75 ohm resistor from the video signal to ground which will fix the bland colours and increase the contrast. Its here on the forum somewhere, just cant find it atm. I haven't tried it yet with mine but will be looking into that soon.

Mr_B
8)
//
Aug 17, 2010, 07:12 PM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B
I think with the colour in these cameras you put a 75 ohm resistor from the video signal to ground which will fix the bland colours and increase the contrast. Its here on the forum somewhere, just cant find it atm. I haven't tried it yet with mine but will be looking into that soon.

Mr_B
8)
//
Thanks for that. I'll check it out also. It is still a good camera but a bit more colour would be good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Firepower; Aug 17, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Aug 17, 2010, 07:23 PM
Flying White Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower

That's the camera I use in the FW190 now, I haven't seen anything that comes close to being as good except the cameras that are like double the price. I have the WDR600 which is just as good as it I think except there is more control over the settings.

I think the osd version with no case is the same camera for an extra couple of $ is great if you are a bit of a tweaker

Mr_B
8)
//
Aug 17, 2010, 07:38 PM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B
That's the camera I use in the FW190 now, I haven't seen anything that comes close to being as good except the cameras that are like double the price. I have the WDR600 which is just as good as it I think except there is more control over the settings.

I think the osd version with no case is the same camera for an extra couple of $ is great if you are a bit of a tweaker

Mr_B
8)
//
Thanks - I do not think you can get a better camera for the price.

I just bought three 420 line hobbyking cheapies but I do not know why. (Just cheap and may be handy)

The KX 171 is a 420 line camera and smaller and lighter but I suppose not much netter than the HK ones. Do you know if this is the case?

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=549

EDIT: I see you mentioned OSD version. Why is it OSD version?
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 17, 2010 at 07:52 PM.
Aug 17, 2010, 08:03 PM
Flying White Rabbit
Since I have been flying for a bit now I would honestly say don't really bother with the lower res cameras, the video quality is really just ok and that's about it.
I would be more inclined to spend up bigger on the actual camera and try to save on the TX/RX side of things or airframe more than anything now.

A 380TVL camera for fpv, foget it ! Pic turns to mush depending on the situation.
A 420TVL camera is ok for fpv but not that great.
A 550TVL or higher camera is the best and you will have better vision and be able to place the plane better if flying around trees and other obsticles.

The camera is your eyes so I would definantly recommend a camera that has 550TVL and if you want small I would go with something like this @ 5V
http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....41f3bccb0b1cc9

or if you need 12V then something like this
http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....41f3bccb0b1cc9

but I don't think you can ever beat the one from security2000 except from an eBay seller I would think.

Mr_B
8)
//

Quick Reply