Los Banos, cold lifty day in November 2009 - RC Groups
Nov 22, 2009, 11:59 AM
Yippee!

Los Banos, cold lifty day in November 2009

A cold lifty day in November 2009, the aero tow day was small, but full of some spectacular lift. Although I can only give my perspective, I arrived at noontime on November 22, 2009. The presence of about six scale glider guys, and one tow pilot was apparent. The towing was great with some “mile high” tows, and whistling high-speed flybys (don’t you love that natural sound).

Once all the scale guys and tow pilot left around two or so. The real flying had just begun!

Sean, Eric and Geppeto(from PCC) were tearing it up with the SBSS club racer. Doing hot-laps, and all kinds of aerobatic gyrations. After some of club racer flying, it was a free for all. The mix of models in the sky was of all kind of flavors: Ken’s (from PCC) Zaggi, Sean’s straight wing aileron Gentle Lady, Geppeto’s straight wing aileron Bridi Tercel, Eric’s Paragon (it was climbing with spoilers deployed!), and I pitched out the old three-meter EMS ASW27. The lift was abundant to fly tennis ball although it was cold, and it was time to put the cold weather suit to fly in comfort.

Four-o-clock came, it was time to fly the EMS five-meter DUO Discus, The lift was smooth, but not lifty to fly a tennis ball. With rudder and elevator control anything will fly. I flew the DUO for about twenty minutes hugging the cliffs. It great to fly such a big bird as the sun is falling in the horizon.

The flying ended with dinner at the Basque Restaurant in Los Banos, and some chin waggling about model stuff. Just like Los Banos scale event. Except, this is all in one day. To be continued next month, weather permitting.

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2009, 05:26 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Flyin' fun at Banos

It's very rare to go to Los Banos and have the winds already blowing in the morning. The aero-tow guys seemed to be having a great by the time I arrived, taking full advantage of the great lift conditions. At one point I looked up and saw three large scale planes at extreme heights. what a sight!
Eric and John were flying the slope at the same time, so I knew the slope was working. My first flight was the maiden voyage of my SBSS Club racer, which went very well. After I got comfortable with it, Eric and I were doing some loose formation flying, back and forth. Lot's of fun, trying not to smack two new planes into each other. As the day went on, the lift got stronger. At the end of the day, with the sun at a very low angle, it was the "golden hour" for some photography.

Sean
Nov 23, 2009, 12:02 AM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

More on a fun Los Banos day...

We had a special reason for going out today: for our scale soaring mate Phillipe Stampf, it was his last chance to fly in the USA - he and his family have been posted back home to France. We will miss him and his warm friendship. Phillipe will return to running Aeroglide/Rosenthal, the maker of large scale sailplanes, tow planes and graphics. Check it out at:
www.aeroglide.fr.

We hope Phillipe will be able to return at a future date.