Nov 09, 2011, 10:01 AM
The new GB is one of the 3-axis gyro planes, the little thang is definately not going to be a 'lazy' flier..

Jay
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2011, 01:49 PM
SS, It's with battery.
Nov 09, 2011, 01:53 PM
NaN
Nooflyer,

I've been meaning to ask; what's the wingspan? Did I miss that?
Nov 09, 2011, 02:27 PM
Ego varius quis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No
Was that one one cell? If so, that's impressive.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=63
80g on ~3A.

There's a rewound version good for 70g on 2.4A which has better efficiency - over 8 grams per watt.

The price is steep, though. The HP03TR is $30+ from many vendors, and the Didel gears are easily $10 in themselves. (Does anyone know if the rcbearings ball bearings are equivalent to the Homefly stuff? They're certainly less expensive...)

You need a good ESC, too. The XP-3A has high losses and can't handle the power required, while the XP-7a doesn't work well on one cell. The YGE-4L and Micro Invent stuff is good, but it's also $50.

So, all things considered, easily $100 with ESC for the power system.
Ouch.
Nov 09, 2011, 02:56 PM
Andy2No,

The wingspan is 17in.
I believe it's a tad bigger than the official extra 300 but a gram plus/minus the same weight.
Seems as if it will float effortlessly but i'm still waiting for a maiden.
Nov 09, 2011, 10:09 PM
NaN
Cheesehead, Yes, that is going a bit far.

Nooflyer. I hope you get a calm enough day soon. We haven't had many of those here lately. I have a couple of indoor fly-ins I can go to in the next few weeks. There are a lot of mid air collisions though, so I'd be reluctant to take something I'd put that much work into.
Nov 09, 2011, 10:22 PM
Ego varius quis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No
Cheesehead, Yes, that is going a bit far.
I think that part of the problem is that quite a lot of the cheap Hobbyking stuff really is kind of rubbish. The motor in question obviously has a huge markup (Hobbyking sells a nearly identical motor for $17, last I checked), but the drop in power with the 1s ESCs is significant across the board. The XP-3A appears to be using a motor driver IC not particularly suited for the application, and the remainder aren't much better.

The funny thing? I suspect the difference is maybe $2 in parts. DIY, anyone? :P

There's plenty of potential for improvement, though. The early "5g" brushless motors were markedly inferior to the Mighty Midget line, but the AP05 compares very well indeed. And the new generic ~2g digital servos are very nice.

Also, I think the designer switched to surplus Hitec servo gears for later designs, which cost quite a lot less.
Nov 09, 2011, 10:38 PM
Just a bored guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
I think that part of the problem is that quite a lot of the cheap Hobbyking stuff really is kind of rubbish.
No duh... What do you expect for something that cost a few bucks. Cheap and quality can never be found in the same sentence, unless it's a sentence like this.
Nov 09, 2011, 11:33 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
on the same token; the electronics that are better are over priced

this is why BNF/RTF models sell so well

If you were to build something with similar quality, and flight characteristics to say, an UM parkzone plane you'd likely pay a substantial amount of money, not to mention that skills needed to properly and aesthetically build an airframe, knowing how to solder and of course under standing the physics of the model your building.

Most are damned if you do, and damned if you don't

Hopefully some decent quality, 1S BL systems come out on the market that are fair priced so scratch builders can have at it.
Nov 09, 2011, 11:36 PM
does anyone have plans of a depron not flat b-25 because i was building a guillows b-25 but that is gonna be too heavy so im going depron
Nov 10, 2011, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooflyer
SS, It's with battery.
I don't know if I am looking in the wrong place but I can't seem to find it!

SS
Nov 10, 2011, 11:16 AM
Richard Cox
The problem with using old Guillows and the like is that the balsa was very heavy. If you use the parts as a template and build using contest balsa, the weight will be about 1/3 of the original kit. They they fly.
Those kits were made to take abuse, not necessarily fly.
Nov 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
Ego varius quis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me
No duh... What do you expect for something that cost a few bucks. Cheap and quality can never be found in the same sentence, unless it's a sentence like this.
There are a lot of items - like the $6 brushless motors, for example - that are cheap because they are cheap.

These are cheap just because someone made a goofy design to save $0.75.

Let's hope that Castle or Hobbico or the like decide to sell us a 1s ESC. The micro heli crowd seem wlling enough to spend $20 on a voltage-to-PWM adapter made from a $0.50 IC and a few pennies of passive components..
Nov 10, 2011, 03:21 PM
SS, are u looking for the battery on the airframe?
If so its in post #1600. My scale isn't too accurate but its 34g with batt.
Nov 10, 2011, 06:40 PM
Finally maidened!

It blew my mind away with the new 25c 150mah batteries i got from coomonsenserc.com!
I did need a little trim because the cg was off on the first flight (nose heavy).

On the second battery i moved it just 10mm back from it's current location, that's when it came alive. It flew as slow as vapor but as fast as the p-51 mustang when wanted.
I easily got 5 minutes of 3d out of the 8 minutes of flight, give or take.
This is my new favorite plane. Blows any of my other micros out the water.

I'm gonna build another one in the next week so i can have two flying.

ps. i cut my planes with a hot knife=buttery lol

Quick Reply