Nov 22, 2009, 12:00 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hawker Sea Fury Micro

Been lurking for a while, then I posted.

Well here you go people, chew on this one. When it's done it should be a 50 cm model, about 20" for all those who live in backwards countries.

Not sure of the power plant yet but I will be using a DSM-2 brick with the aleron servo.

And... I am open to suggestion and comments.
Last edited by ocminimoto; Nov 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: toned it down
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2009, 12:06 AM
Neophyte hacker
Very cool subject.

Are you going to carve it from foam?

charlie
Nov 22, 2009, 12:09 AM
Thread OP
Not sure, was thinking balsa and tissue. This is just the first drawing to get the dimensions down. Now I start making it look like a Guillows plan. Keep tuned.
Nov 22, 2009, 12:11 AM
Neophyte hacker
It is nice the fuse is fairly straight taper

Will keep watching.

charlie
Nov 22, 2009, 12:51 AM
Suspended Account
West wings has one close to this size:
http://www.shortysbasement.com/index...d&productId=52

With modern lightweight gear, these warbirds are looking much more appealing in the 20" size.

As for the Guillows type design, I use it quite a bit in scratch building. Any decent 3-view with former sections basically IS a Guillows plan. I think a lot of folks refrain from building planes that they want, at the size they want, since they can't find a plan or a kit. With a 3-view using keel-and-former design, you can easily scratch build almost anything you want.
Nov 22, 2009, 08:31 AM
It must have a machinegun
Nice subject. Will suit stick and tissue construction I think. The cowl could be vac formed from thin plastic.

For the radio are you proposing the Spektrum AR6400? That's a single cell system I read. A plane this size might be more suited to 2 cell.
Nov 22, 2009, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Single cell is the stock configuration but I have seen references to 2 cell conversions and brushless motor adaptations as well. Failing that, I'll just make it smaller. Hmm maybe a 30 cm would be a better match. What ever works, AutoCad is a wonderful thing.

Has anyone figgured out what alternative brushed motors could be used? What kind of current drain can the board take reliably?
Nov 22, 2009, 01:36 PM
Thread OP

Quote:
Any decent 3-view with former sections basically IS a Guillows plan.
Agreed but to date I have never found a 3 view image that was true enough to use straigt up. The one I used was from a Russian site and had only the underside and right side profile. The front view I had to create based upon the other two views once I corrected them to be square and of equal size. Not too much of a problem if you have a good electronic drafting program.

The drawing I posted can be used (although there are some errors in it) but once you start drawing the formers etc. you are stuck with the scale you chose since stretching it will alter the sizes of the balsa you use to something non-standard. So I guess I will have to do different drawings for each scale. This means that picking the appropriate scale is critical.
Nov 22, 2009, 01:41 PM
Neophyte hacker
You are correct on the scale issues. And converting a 3view to 3d is not as easy as some would think either.

If I remember the on board ESC will handle 2A on 1 cell. It will also accommodate an external esc. You could use a separate esc on 2s as long as you regulate the voltage to the rcvr. But, all this adds weight.

charlie
Nov 22, 2009, 04:55 PM
ARF Hater Club
There is an excellent free plan for a Seafury out there. It is a full plan, and provides all parts etc for an electric model. I will see if I can dig it up again of you have any interest...

Edit:

Sea "Seafury" here:
http://www.willingtons.com/mymac/Plans_Download.htm
Here is what I have for the wing so far. I have enlarged plans from a Guillows Spitfire and have an idea to make a clipped wing spit from this wing. It should be close enough, but I havent compred the planforms yet!

Sorry for the semi hijack. At your size this plan is probably a bit too over built. May help though.
Last edited by tommyeflight89; Nov 22, 2009 at 05:03 PM.
Nov 22, 2009, 09:58 PM
Thread OP

Today's progress

Here's what I got done today. I would like to make a removable wing. If you try to build this at this point it is very likely that things won't fit exactly yet. Don't worry, it's coming.
Nov 23, 2009, 05:54 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Don't forget the radiators on the wings.. Looking good so far.

Some plans here at 32", can be scaled down on your printer. No rads though, but they're easy to work out.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975285

I've scaled the plans down to 24" and built one out of 2mm depron, almost completed (painted, decals on, servos in, surfaces hinged, etc) but just needs a final push to get the last of the electronics in and a canopy made. Incidentely, you can make a good canopy out of a few pieces of plastic bottle, cut a piece from just under the neck for the 'bubble', then from further down you cut the front windscreen, and then a further, arc shape to connect the two. I use ca to glue the bits together and reinforce on the inside with blenderm. Bit of paint for the framing and it looks pretty good. The one in the pic was made this way.

Oh, and just in case you fancy a stable mate the Bearcat's @ 20", I can try to dig the plans out for you if you like?
Nov 23, 2009, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
What radiators?? and thanks for the lead, I was having trouble deciding how to make the wings fit to the fuse. this will give me some ideas. BTW on the suggestion of another poster I am down sizing the model from 50 cm to a 30 cm wingspan which is similar to my PZ SU 26. Now if I can get my hands on the 10 mm motor used in the Mustang it just might fly.

Anyone out there know how to get the airfoil from 3 view drawings?
Nov 23, 2009, 01:54 PM
ARF Hater Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminimoto
What radiators??...
Anyone out there know how to get the airfoil from 3 view drawings?
There is a radiator on the leading edge at the root of one wing, and perhaps an oil cooler? Check some scale documentation.

As for the airfoil, I would not attempt to use a full scale airfoil on a model, especially from something like a warbird. Stick to a common model airfoil to get good flying qualities.
Nov 23, 2009, 01:55 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Have a look at this site, they've got a free papercraft model of about that size.http://stampa400.blogspot.com/search/label/airplane.

RE the radiators, there's a bulge close to the fuse on each wing which holds the radiators. One's longer than the other.

Quick Reply