Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:35 AM
ezrydr is offline
Find More Posts by ezrydr
what goes up...
ezrydr's Avatar
Discussion

Futaba Receiver antenna


Hi guys,
flying my GP Sportster last night I noticed as it got out a ways it would twitch a little. I brought her down and found that the antenna had shortened itself somehow. this is 72MHZ system

If I measure the antenna on another Futaba receiver can I then add a new length of wire to the shortened one to make it the same length?

What kind of wire can I use?

Thanks,
Steve
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:55 AM
slipstick is online now
Find More Posts by slipstick
Registered User
You can. Any kind of flexible multistrand insulated wire is fine.

Steve
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:04 PM
Rodney is offline
Find More Posts by Rodney
Registered User
As Slipstick said, any multistrand (so it is flexible) wire will do and any length from 39 to 41 inches long will be fine.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
A.T. is offline
Find More Posts by A.T.
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrydr View Post
Hi guys, flying my GP Sportster last night I noticed as it got out a ways it would twitch a little. I brought her down and found that the antenna had shortened itself somehow. this is 72MHZ system
If I measure the antenna on another Futaba receiver can I then add a new length of wire to the shortened one to make it the same length?
What kind of wire can I use? Thanks, Steve
Repair with multi strand (say 45g) flexible wire but IMO easier to visit your LHS and obtain correct length pre-tinned original receiver antenna, which cost $0.50>$1.
Receiver - Antenna - Original lengths for Hitec, Futaba, GWS & JR
Receiver - Antenna - Does Length Really Matter?

Further information available under sub Sections
"Antenna - Rubber Duckie, Micro & Whip Flywire - replace long aerials with loaded base antenna"
"Range check and Range problem solving"
"Receiver - FAQ, guides and aids to best reception.."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:41 PM
ezrydr is offline
Find More Posts by ezrydr
what goes up...
ezrydr's Avatar
thanks guys~

Alan - wow that's a lot of info you have there! great reference site!

another question on antennas then...

I usually try to mount my antennas by exiting the fuse right behind canopy area and then attach to the top of vertical stabilizer with a rubber band rather than just hanging out the bottom of the fuse (which is how I had my Sportster antenna and why, I think, is got truncated)

by attaching to vert fin it keeps most of antenna from dragging on ground while taxiing. But other than that, is one method preferred over the other?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:10 PM
A.T. is offline
Find More Posts by A.T.
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrydr View Post
thanks guys~ Alan - wow that's a lot of info you have there! great reference site! another question on antennas then...
I usually try to mount my antennas by exiting the fuse right behind canopy area and then attach to the top of vertical stabilizer with a rubber band rather than just hanging out the bottom of the fuse (which is how I had my Sportster antenna and why, I think, is got truncated)
by attaching to vert fin it keeps most of antenna from dragging on ground while taxiing. But other than that, is one method preferred over the other?
Refer attached file and section
"Receiver - FAQ, guides and aids to best reception.." at

Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Regards
Alan T.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:43 PM
Daedalus66 is offline
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
The only problem with extending the antenna with a separate piece of wire is that the soldering creates a section that is prone to fail from vibration. Of course, heat shrink helps, but I'd much rather see a whole new antenna of good flexible wire.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:24 AM
slipstick is online now
Find More Posts by slipstick
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The only problem with extending the antenna with a separate piece of wire is that the soldering creates a section that is prone to fail from vibration. Of course, heat shrink helps, but I'd much rather see a whole new antenna of good flexible wire.
OTOH opening up the Rx and soldering a new antenna to the (often very tightly packed) circuit board requires a rather higher level of skill than just soldering two bits of wire together .

Steve


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Hitec/RCD 3800 8ch receiver w/ Revolution antenna ( Futaba or JR ) badbill Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 4 Aug 06, 2006 01:38 PM
Sold Futaba R149DP Receiver with Revo Antenna plasmaman Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Jun 16, 2006 11:19 AM
Futaba R-136F Receiver 40MHZ: Antenna length Daneel Power Systems 3 Nov 14, 2005 06:29 AM
Replacement antenna for my Futaba Receiver? gtslabs Radios 1 Nov 26, 2003 12:38 PM
FS: Futaba 148DF Receiver with Dean's micro-antenna sizam Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Sep 02, 2003 04:37 PM