Nov 19, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Spectrumized 4G6 with separates

Hello,
This thread will be on the 4G6 and taking out the all in one board and putting in separates so you can use a DSM2 Spectrum radio. I will be posting a how-to shortly and I welcome any and all questions.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2009, 06:29 PM
Cool!

First question of many....

What gyro are you using?

Amp
Nov 19, 2009, 07:42 PM
Eagerly waiting for the details.. I did a Esky Lama v4 conversion to Walkera internals so I could use the 2801 Pro TX. Flies like a dream. I wonder if you can just separate out the Walkera Gyro from the RX? At first glance they seem like they are separate boards. Then you could potentially use the AR6300 with the Walkera gyro board..

For my Esky conversion, I split the Lama RX with the ESC and Gyro. Then simply plugged the Walkera 6ch into the relevant ports. Very simple conversion. Hopefully the 4G6 conversion is a simple one :-)
Nov 20, 2009, 02:04 PM
Dear all,

I am Jens, location cold and rainy Germany.

This is my first post here.

I would like to introduce my spectrumized 4G6. Hope, I am allowed to do !?

My spectrumized 4G6 setup:

- 4G6 with mod. Trex 250 landing skid
- AR6300, stock, not modified
- Gyro ACT Pico SMM V2
- ESC Walkera
- Motor WK 05
- No voltage booster

Assembly:
I just have soldered the necessery micro jst plugs to servos and gyro before assembly of the components.
Gyro is located on a 0.8mm CF-Plate glued on one servo. This location prevents impacts of temperatur and vibration on gyro performance and it is my favourite (after testing a location in the front und the canopy).
Unfortunately Gyro is very expensive (appr. 100 Euro) but holds the tail awesome in heading and normal modus. No drift in heading lock modus.

Edit/
The gyro performance is much better than my stock 4in1 gyro.
- no drifting in HL-mode (improved by location, see above)
- holds the tail "strong and hard" in the position feels nearly comparable to a GY 401 in my Trex 5oo

Edit/
Total weight 74.7g (without battery)

Best regards,

Jens

Some pictures:
Last edited by zeitgespenst; Nov 22, 2009 at 04:28 AM.
Nov 21, 2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the post Jens! Interesting information. It would be great if you could post some photos with the canopy off the heli..

Is there any reason that you could not use the Gyro in the 3/4-in1 on the 4G6? I would also like to know how you fitted (with some photos) the T-Rex 250 landing gear to the 4G6?
Nov 21, 2009, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportvelo
I would also like to know how you fitted (with some photos) the T-Rex 250 landing gear to the 4G6?
No problem.
0.8 mm CF. Sawed with fretsaw.

Jens
Last edited by zeitgespenst; Nov 21, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Nov 21, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw
Cool!

First question of many....

What gyro are you using?

Amp
I am using a telebee head lock gyro
Nov 21, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thread OP

How-To spetrumize

Items required for the modification:
The part numbers are for amainhobbies.com but you can buy the items from any website you want, this is just to say what is needed.

3 x Spectrum 1" JST Adapter Ultra Lightweight
[SPMAJST1UL]
1 x Spectrum 3" JST Extension Ultra Lightweight
[SPMEXJST3UL]
1 x Spectrum Remote Receiver Antenna Extension 12"
[SPM9012]
(can be any length, you just need the connector with 2 or 3 inches of wire, this is the best deal for this site)
1 x AR6300
1 x LVBoost from http://www.dimensionengineering.com/lvboost.htm
1 x gyro (I used a telebee)

All the other parts are stock

If you donít want to bother with the connectors then you can solder the servos directly to the AR6300, but connectors are more convenient.

To start off take all of electronics off the 4G6 with the exception of the tail servo.

Next bust out the parts listed above.
Always make sure you have the correct polarity!!

Take the remote receiver cable and take the connector off of one end by lifting the little tabs on the plastic connector up and sliding the wires out. Then take the other end and cut the wired so they are about 4 inches or so long with the connector on one end. The end with the connector will be the ESC to RX wires.

Next for the 3 inch extension cut it in half. On one of the halves take two wires out of the connector leaving the signal wire. This goes to the remote gain on the gyro. The other half will replace the gyro wires so just splice the ends of the wires.

For the 3 adapters take the plastic connector off like described above.

Now all the wires and connectors are ready.

Next step:

Take the shrink wrap off everything and the casing off the gyro.

Servos:
On the 3 cyclic servos take off the walkera connector like described above and replace with the spectrum ones from the adapters. Make sure you get the polarity connect. It is (signal, negative, positive) for the AR6300 RX.

Gyro:
Figure out how long your wires need to been based on where you are going to place everything before cutting.
Take the wires off and replace with the ones you made above and replace the signal wire with the single wire and connector but cut them to length first. Either take a connector off the stock RX from the tail servo or solder the wires directly to the servo output

ESC and LVBoost
For this look at the wiring diagram and cut the positive and negative wires on the remote receiver extension so the signal is the longest. Figure out where you are putting the ESC an LVBoost combo and cut the positive and negative wires to length (keeping the signal longer)
One the ESC cut the wires that go to the RX to about a half inch.
Then remove the wires from the LVboost on the input end. Solder the positive and negative wires from the ESC to the LVBoost. On the output side remove the wires and solder the positive and negative wires form the remove the signal extension with connector you did above. Cut the signal wire to the three wires are the same tensions when parallel with the signal wire running along the side of the LVBoost. Solder signal wire from the remote receiver extension to the ESC (after removing the stock wire from the ESC.
After everything is soldered and connected remove the wires that go to the motor if you are upgrading to the HP08-2.

Once everything is done put some double stick tape along the entire length of the LVBoost on the bottom and then fold over and take to the ESC.

RX
Take the wrapper off the RX so it is a bare board.

Now put the servos back on and then the new electronics, plug everything into their correct location and test.

if anything does not make sense let me know
Last edited by neiAlex; Nov 21, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Nov 22, 2009, 05:34 AM
Hello n.Alex,

very detailed information, very interesting.
Thank you very much !

Why do you use a booster ?

Thanks for feedback,

Jens
Nov 22, 2009, 02:57 PM
Thread OP

why the booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgespenst
Why do you use a booster ?
Jens
When I was testing the setup without the booster the voltage would drop below the 3.5 volts required fro the RX and it would cut out. The booster keeps the voltage above the required 3.5 volts for the RX (I set it to about 4.3 volts) and it does not loose power. I drain the the battery until the low voltage cutoff kicks in and the RX still has power, something that would not happen if it was not there.
Dec 04, 2009, 03:41 PM
I have just Spektrumized may Piccolo with a Act Pico SMM gyro.
I'm using a AR6110 RX
I am having problems with the gyro not initializing properly (I think)

With my old 35mhz FM RX everything is great. Very solid hold with 50% gain.

With the Spektrum it is very unstable even at 10% gain, and very unresponsive to tail inputs.

The Spektrum takes about 2 secs between power up and connection. Could this be the problem? Maybe the gyro does not like having no signal with power

Any ideas?

Paul
Dec 05, 2009, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgleesonuk
I have just Spektrumized may Piccolo with a Act Pico SMM gyro.
I'm using a AR6110 RX
I am having problems with the gyro not initializing properly (I think)

With my old 35mhz FM RX everything is great. Very solid hold with 50% gain.

With the Spektrum it is very unstable even at 10% gain, and very unresponsive to tail inputs.

The Spektrum takes about 2 secs between power up and connection. Could this be the problem? Maybe the gyro does not like having no signal with power

Any ideas?

Paul
An issue one needs to be aware of with the spektrum receivers, is that until they connect, they output the settings that you used during binding. So, rebinding with other settings may help.
Dec 05, 2009, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure they output any signal. If I power up with the servos not in there neutral position, nothing moves until the RX connects.

I think this is the problem. I have bound the receiver with the normal positions.

I'm asking Spektrum for some clarification.

Now I have got round the problem by ignoring the remote gain function, and bridging the gnd and signal lead on the gain cable, and setting it manually using the pot.

Not great but it works.
Dec 05, 2009, 04:25 PM
Thread OP

Spektrum rx issues

pgleesonuk,
I can Think I can remember reading somewhere that some gyros can't be used with the spektrum RX for the delay in signal going to the gyro. I have never had this problem personally and I've used the GY401, telebee, esky, gb401. I tihnk someone poseted a soluation of putting a switch on the gyro's power so once the RX conneted and wa giving a signal you then turn the gyro on and it already has a signal being sent to it.
Dec 10, 2009, 02:28 PM
Another Spektrum 4G6 setup

- 4G6 with mod. Trex 250 landing skid
- AR6300, stock, not modified
- Gyro GY 191
- Motor wk 05

ACT gyro is better but GY 191 is much cheaper and for "normal" flight o. k.
Best regards,

Jens
Last edited by zeitgespenst; Dec 10, 2009 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply